3 Cotyledons on Afghan Mazar

JoetheChro

Just had my bonus seed sprout yesterday, I thought there was a seed shell stuck on this morning and on closer inspection realised there’s 3 cotyledons.

Why and how 420 people?

Hope you’re all having a good weekend

7ED16CE2-5ADA-479C-B650-FD47E0E6E97B.jpeg

While not real common, it isn’t rare either. I believe it’s called whorled phyllotaxy, also called Triploid. I’ve had a number of them, it’s a crap shoot, had some nice ones, but sometimes they’re just not “robust”, genetically.
Aaaah I bought a lottery ticket just in case ;) thank you for the information, really appreciate it. Have got a bit of night time reading to do now.

I did see another post elsewhere on line claiming it would have more yield. But they didn’t name it like your good self. Suppose I’ve just got to look after it like it’s any other weedlet and hope for the best.

Again really appreciate the post back, hope you enjoy your weekend

Like I said, it’s a crapshoot, hope for the best. I always try to grow them, just to see what happens. Overall, triploids must not be evolutionarily or genetically superior in nature, that I know of no landrace strains of triploids exist. I did just read that they have just come out with a CBD triploid. Problem with triploids (and tetraploids) is they have lower fecundity and produce less viable seed, some are sterile.

Like I said, it’s a crapshoot, hope for the best. I always try to grow them, just to see what happens. Overall, triploids must not be evolutionarily or genetically superior in nature, that I know of no landrace strains of triploids exist. I did just read that they have just come out with a CBD triploid. Problem with triploids (and tetraploids) is they have lower fecundity and produce less viable seed, some are sterile.
I done some brief background reading on triploids in general in the plant world after your post. I’m not disagreeing with you, the jury seems to be out on this one. Quite a few texts (Google scholar source) making a claim for high yield as a byproduct of mutation and a prime candidate for being used in propagation and low yield, and conversely other sources stating no good will come whatsoever might as well kill it 😂 quite a dichotomy

I seen someone on another forum who stabilized the triple cotyledon and quadruple cotyledon trait.
Don't confuse it as being related to polyploids. A tri-leaflet (trifoliate) plant and a triploid are two different things.
More importantly, the tri-leaflet thing is usually grown out of after a few nodes.
You can only detect polyploids with lab equipment, there's no physical differentiators.

I seen someone on another forum who stabilized the triple cotyledon and quadruple cotyledon trait.
Don't confuse it as being related to polyploids. A tri-leaflet (trifoliate) plant and a triploid are two different things.
More importantly, the tri-leaflet thing is usually grown out of after a few nodes.
You can only detect polyploids with lab equipment, there's no physical differentiators.
Absolutely true, without testing you can’t tell the difference.

I done some brief background reading on triploids in general in the plant world after your post. I’m not disagreeing with you, the jury seems to be out on this one. Quite a few texts (Google scholar source) making a claim for high yield as a byproduct of mutation and a prime candidate for being used in propagation and low yield, and conversely other sources stating no good will come whatsoever might as well kill it 😂 quite a dichotomy
I agree it’s quite muddy and conflicting, I would of thought that if poly’s or tetra’s were so much more potent with better yields it would of been discovered and capitalized on a long time ago. Guys have been messing with polys since the 70’s. There’s so much scientific research still needing to be done on a lot of cannabis topics.

Think you might have been right 😂 got a weird shape on it.

image.jpg

image.jpg

I don’t like the lankiness of it, possible male?

Waiting with the scythe just in case 😂

@Phytoplankton, I meant to share this before. There was a research paper titled "Polyploidization for the Genetic Improvement of Cannabis sativa". I don't think I can link to it here. Anyway, from what I remember there was some gains in terpene production, cbd production and a loss in cbga? You could remind me and summarize maybe if you take the time to read it lol. I also read elsewhere that the people involved in the paper tried to patent the process and pissed some people off since it had been done countless times before. There's a few clone only polyploids in circulation.

Back
Top Bottom