357 Magnum and 180w Advanced EF

somedude247

Has anyone else noticed that the 357 Magnum is the same unit as the 180w Advanced Extreme Flower? The AEF has 119 LEDs x 3 watts equals 357 watts. The only difference I see is the paint colors and price. The 357 Magnum is $200 more b/c they call it 357 watts but only draws 180 watts, just like the AEF. Same dimensions, spectrums and heatsinks. I could be wrong, but thats what I got from the available data and just want to know if anyone else sees this also. I should add that I have used the AEF 180w unit and thats why I noticed the similarities. And its really Bad-ass! I sold it to a buddy and have the 300w Diamond Series on the way:)

If I'm not mistaken, and I could be, but just like plasma screens there are only a handful of manufacturers that make the "guts" and they sell them to other companies who wrap them up all pretty and resell them under their "name brand". So I think it is a possibility.

There are a large number of companies that make the LED's and housings. However, it's much cheaper to have those items that the manufacturer already has a mold/cnc/press dimensions/etc already drawn/engineered. Lets be honest, R&D cost alone for making a LED light (for those few companies that have actually done R&D) cost in the 10's of thousands if not the hundreds. I'm personally over the $10k amount and have not even come close to looking for mass suppliers for the housings. Nor have I bought any of my optical test equipment (thanks to a University that is one of the nations leading Agricultural schools in the nation). It's a shame I just moved from that area but I have to support my hobby somehow. Back on point, yes most housings are the same and there are only so many options out there for items like large heat sinks. The difference comes from the company knowing what lights to put in and how to arrange them and what viewing angles are needed.

I am actually using a 357 magnum plus. I've had the same theory about the light as well I'm on my last days of flower growing 2 purple kush hydroponically. Im going to post my results with a few pics in a few day. I am happy with the results so far. My buds are pretty fat about the size of beer bottle. I came from using eBay 90w UFOs for the past 2 years so I am in shock because all I've been getting from 2 90w UFOs is about 2 ounces sometimes a little less. Stay tuned in with me on 357 magnum results.

That's good hear mystic I also have a mag + and found it good for veg but not that hot for flower. The store told me 4x4 no problem due to the special lenses and wavelengths, but the bottoms weren't getting any light. Once I hooked up a 600 lumatek set at 400 everything was good. I found that the magnum can only cover 2 plants mature at best barely 2x2 area for flowering. I find the cost isnt justified yet.

Back
Top Bottom