4" carbon filter versus 6" - Does it matter?

BrokrnEyes

For a 32" x 20" x 62" grow tent can I go with a 4" carbon filter and fan and still achieve the desired result of creating negative pressure to control Oder?

Re: 4" carbon filter versus 6", does it matter?

For a 32" x 20" x 62" grow tent can I go with a 4" carbon filter and fan and still achieve the desired result of creating negative pressure to control Oder?
I think that would be sufficient for that size area. You may want to look for a fan with built in speed controller, or an accessory speed controller to plug into. You don't always need to run at full speed depending on the cfm of your fan.
Good luck with your setup and grow :high-five:

Yeah I've read that is also one of the key items to have for sound control was to include a speed controller, ductwork was the second but I'm not thinking doabl unless I can find 4" flexible.

I have this and it's great! Not only do I use it to control smell but it drastically lowers my temps. It works perfect IF you humidity is below 50% gets clogged if ran for a long time over that. VIVOSUN 4 Inch 203 CFM Inline Fan with Speed Controller and 4" Carbon Filter 8 Feet Ducting Combo
81VQ_yDZZeL_SL1500_.jpg

Yeah I've read that is also one of the key items to have for sound control was to include a speed controller, ductwork was the second but I'm not thinking doabl unless I can find 4" flexible.
Shouldn't be hard to find flexible ducting. Try Home Depot or Lowes, or almost any hardware store. You can use dryer duct as well. Even if you can only find 6" ducting, all it takes is a reducing adapter. :)

In my opinion 4 inch is plenty. I ordered 6 inch for my tent, 24 x 48 x 62 and it was too big, I sent it back. You only need to move the volume of air in the tent every few minutes so for my tent 40cfm would displace it in one minute. So you don't need a big pump.
The price goes up a lot, 6 inch material is much more expensive and 4 inch is more common in home use.
At least that's what I went to.

Oh, and if I sound like an Aussie babe, put another shrimp on the barbie, mate :)

Shouldn't be hard to find flexible ducting. Try Home Depot or Lowes, or almost any hardware store. You can use dryer duct as well. Even if you can only find 6" ducting, all it takes is a reducing adapter. :)

Dryer hose is 4 inch, at least on my dryer and at Home Depot. And I don't recommend reducers, just get everything 4 inches.

How inexpensive (note not saying cheap) can I do this? I.e. Is a kit spesfic for this worth the price or are their some recommended go to's?

I found the stuff that actually all fits (fan and filter) is the way to go. Even if it were a bit cheaper (it wasn't in my case) it isn't worth what can best case be the same and worst case a big problem. Ducting is ducting. Just get the correct size. In your case the only reason to get 6" stuff would be because you plan on getting a bigger tent.

I have not purchased mine yet because I finished the tent grow and will not start another till my outdoor grow is done. It looks like everything is comodity priced and will add up to about 100 dollars US. I am going to get the low end pump without a speed controller and get a cheap variac to avoid the hum. I'll probably get the vivosun or ipower.
Please post whatever you end up getting to help me make my choice.

Actually... I'm going to try essential oil and a diffuser constantly on. My gf suggested this oil and within a couple minutes the smell was gone. Apparently she used it on her dog that got skunked and completely removed the smell from the fur and bathroom ;where the dog got cleaned) so I'll give that a try for s few days. Worth testing before putting $100 down I figure.

It's worth a shot, I'll report back my findings. I have about 3 weeks left and their definitely starting to smell.

420-magazine-mobile752083473.jpg

My 6" ipower in line fan is a beast I'd get the 6" but I do my flowering in a 20 foot by 12 foot room lol so 4" may work great in a tent that size

Back
Top Bottom