420Mag DIY CFL reflector slightly different

Giovanni831

CFL Tutorial....

I seen another member make a very similar reflector, but I opted to do mine a little differently. So here it goes....

SUPPLIES:

1/2" plywood - cut in a semi circle that measures 16in wide and 4.25in at the top of the arch.

wood for a cross member (2x2,2x3, or 2x4) @ 31.5 inches.

6 Leviton sockets - they are about $1.25/ea @ HomeDepot.

a 12ft. cheap extention cord - also bought @ HomeDepot (about $1.50)

6 Lightbulb "Y" splitters - (HD - $2.50/ea. but seen them online for $1.25)

3ft long 6" sheetmetal tube - (HD - $8) - I cut what I will call the male end of the tube off to make it sit flat on the wood.

A couple 6d or 8d nails for the frame, and a couple finish nails to attach sheetmetal.
IMAG02893.jpg
IMAG02902.jpg

IMAG02912.jpg
IMAG0295.jpg

IMAG0294.jpg
IMAG02962.jpg

IMAG02971.jpg
IMAG02981.jpg

1) Cut the arches in the plywood, paint everything flat white....
IMAG02883.jpg
IMAG0293.jpg

Suggestion.... when painting plywood, I use semi-gloss white before I put the flat white on it. Wood eats up primer especially plywood, plus I think that it will better protect from mold or anything else.

2) Cut the female end off of extention cord and use it to wire up the sockets - be sure to leave enough cord in between them so that you can properly space them. (I did this while the paint was drying)
IMAG02991.jpg

3) Screw the sockets onto the cross member, drop your splitters and bulbs in.
IMAG03002.jpg
IMAG03011.jpg

IMAG03021.jpg

IMAG03033.jpg

IMAG03043.jpg

4) Nail or screw the wood frame together, and nail the sheetmetal down using finish nails.
IMAG03071.jpg

IMAG03053.jpg

5) Plug that b**ch in and enjoy the light.
IMAG0308.jpg

IMAG03101.jpg

This was my solution for some side lighting...
IMAG02842.jpg

Hello Giovanni,

I've seen this reflector and variations of it on the site a few places. Nice work by the way!
Love DIY. Question: is this grounded? If so how did you ground it? I want to make a 10- 12 bulb one and want to make sure it's done correctly. *does it need to be grounded*. Guess i shoould have asked that first. Thanks in advance for your response. +reps for the great DIY!!!

Looks good man. :thumb: and :welldone:

Ive had this idea floating around in the back of my head for awhile, but it'd be use for supplemental lighting.

Already have the duct & whatever framing materials I need, but this is great inspiration man. Any other ideas youd like to see happen let me know ;D

Back
Top Bottom