4x250=1000?

bconway

The Lowes hardware in town has a case of 250 w hps bulbs on their clearout shelf for $5.00 each. Is it possible to wire 4 in series, & use an old 1000 w ballast to power them, for use as extra side lighting?

regular price 27.00. they've been on the clearout shelf at the back of the electrical dept. for at least 2 weeks.

Just make sure you talk to an electrician or someone who knows a little somethin somethin about electrical... I would say NO, but I am afraid to hook up jumper cables to a car... Me no likey playing with electricity.... :peace:

The Lowes hardware in town has a case of 250 w hps bulbs on their clearout shelf for $5.00 each. Is it possible to wire 4 in series, & use an old 1000 w ballast to power them, for use as extra side lighting?

You wouldn't wire them in series. You would wire them in parallel. I don't think 1 ballast would be able to fire 4 seperate bulbs. The ballast is only designed to fire 1 bulb. I think you would have a problem with the capacitor. I strongly suggest you do not try it. You could end up overloading the ballast causing a fire. Even if it did work at first I think you would have a serious problem if one of the bulbs went bad. Then you have a 1000 watt ballast feeding 750 watts of light. Not a good mix.

Damn Doc, lol thats a very good call, i was also thinking of runnin 4 250w hps, but locals are telling me to run a 1k hps, i dont think its at all necessary for the space provided i figured for the space two 400s would be more than enough i WILL be using premium soilwith quality nutes, though i was thinkin of runnin two month harvest turnaround with 6 plants harvested every two mo. anyone have any words of advice? Closet= 2.5ft deep,7ft wide. 8 tall, i have two vegin' white widow,2 bubba k , and 2 hindu , atm. thanks for anyones advice.

Back
Top Bottom