A quick note on SNS-209 for caterpillars

It doesn't seem to work. I've been applying SNS-209 (systemic insecticide) for weeks via roots. I was hoping on my second grow to fend them off, but I found a caterpillar laying eggs deep in the crevice of one of thickest nicest buds on the plant. So I had to chop that bit off, and hope to keep them at bay atleast for a few more weeks to finish her up.

I suppose the only thing to combat such a pest would be a foliar BT drenching. However, being by the coast, it's not a great idea. I would say budworms = the worst kind of pest possible for cannabis. :420:

I thought only butterflies or moths lay the eggs?

I would contact SNS and ask for additional tips. If it still doesn't work, I would give Aza-Max a try. I've had great success with it.

Yeah your right, it must have been a bunch of poop then, or the eggs that were laid by some flying insect (moth, beetle, butterfly,etc). The point is that with SNS-209 the aromaticity of the plant should smell like rosemary, which is supposed to ward off any insects, period. Either not enough of the insecticide has concentrated in the plant, or it doesn't work. I really hate budworms, the second you think you've eradicated them, you find a whole new cavern filled with their shit.

I asked SNS about this and they said, "Unfortunately, caterpillars are extremely difficult to kill. Some caterpillars wont like the taste of 209, but they are voracious eaters and its very difficult to get rid of them." :Namaste:

Is it OK to treat mature plants as well as mid-phase flowering plants with BT (Bacillus Thuringiensis)? Will I need to rinse the plants at harvest time before hanging them up?

I was unable to find the BT product I decided on (Safer products' Caterpillar Killer (#5160), which comes in a spray bottle. I could have used a dust that they offer, which is available at the local HD, but I don't like the idea of breathing bacterium from a moth's stomach in such concentrations. Yep, that's where it comes from - in natural form.

I would refrain from spraying the buds when nearing towards harvest. You want to fend them off early, and hopefully they do not come back. Because it can leave a taste in your buds which is no bueno. I wouldn't like to spray my buds directly. I would hope to ward them off via other means. ( natural predators, bait plants, etc. )

But if all hell breaks loose, you need to spray according to the infection rate. But be diligent, you don't want that in your product!!

Back
Top Bottom