'A Terrible, Terrible Mistake'

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
Last July, a SWAT team entered the house of Berwyn Heights Mayor Cheye Calvo, killing his two black Labradors and interrogating him for nearly two hours at gunpoint, as he kneeled, bewildered and afraid, in nothing but his underwear and socks.

Calvo could only think one thing: "This was a terrible, terrible mistake."

The mayor, who has presided over Berwyn Heights for five years, is a likable and well-spoken politician who visited the campus last night to tell students about the incident.

The raid, which was performed without a proper warrant, was sparked by investigations into a local drug ring that was known for shipping boxes of marijuana to random addresses and picking them up before the owners of the house were able to. Calvo unknowingly picked up such a box addressed to his wife from the front porch of his house.

Police later cleared him and his family of any wrongdoing, but his dogs were both left dead and his house sustained thousands of dollars in damages.

Three student groups hosted an event in the Stamp Student Union to discuss the unnecessary use of extreme tactics and lack of police oversight.

Calvo was joined by journalist Radley Balko, an expert on SWAT team raids and statistics, and talked to a group of about 30 in the Margaret Brent Room about Calvo's situation and similar stories of botched raids and questionable violence by police all over the country.

The event was sponsored by the university's chapters of Students for Sensible Drug Policy, Students for a Democratic Society and National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws.

After the raid on his house made international headlines - something he attributes to a slow news day - Calvo began drafting legislation to change SWAT team policies.

His bill passed in both the State House and Senate and is awaiting the governor's signature before it can be made into law.

"In the intervening months I've come to understand that it's not an isolated botched raid," Calvo said. "It's a seemingly growing trend."

Calvo said SWAT teams were used in Prince George's County around 700 times in 2007 - on average nearly twice a day.

"I was dumbfounded by that," he said. "I think [that] number is astounding."

Balko, who is a senior editor of Reason Magazine, has written numerous reports and stories about similar issues with SWAT team raids and befriended Calvo after his encounter.

"The bulk of my criticism is aimed at the policy and the policy makers," Balko said. "When a police officer shoots someone ... it's almost always forgiven. Problem is, that same sort of deference is not shown to [non-police]."

Calvo said he's still unable to obtain the police report from his incident. He said his bill encompasses four main concepts: increased transparency of SWAT operations, more tangible standards of practice, greater oversight and stronger leadership.

Balko said sloppy raids are not as uncommon as some might think and told numerous stories of misdemeanor criminals or even innocent people being killed in raids.

He believes the training of SWAT teams encourages a military mentality that ultimately violates a clear distinction between police motives, which center around protecting the innocent, and military motives, which emphasize completing an objective.

But overall, the night's goal was starting a dialogue and speaking for those who can't speak for themselves, organizers said.

"I really do feel the weight of other people who feel injustice that can ruin their lives," Calvo said, adding that his high-profile case made him feel responsible for those who weren't given prime-time spots on CNN and the BBC. "I've had conversations with mothers who've had their children killed."

Students in the audience appreciated the powerful stories and the underlying message.

"It's one thing to think we have rights and it's another thing to see [them]," freshman letters and sciences major Zach Brown said. "It's kind of sad that we need this much of a slap in the face."

Sophomore mechanical engineering major and University Senator Bob Hayes was shocked by the many examples of botched raids and multiple violent, knee-jerk reactions by police.

"I was surprised about the brutality of the situation ... and that it's not one isolated incident," Hayes said.

Sophomore criminology and criminal justice major and SSDP Vice President Irina Alexander helped coordinate the event and was pleased with the turnout and discussion.

"I hope [the people who attended] realize that they can actually make a change," she said, using Calvo as an example. "It's just a very simplistic yet important thing to remember."

Calvo himself commended students who attended and was also happy to see a large crowd.

"It's great that students are concerned about these issues," Calvo said, humbly acknowledging his adopted role as an instigator for change.

"You never know the person you talk to that's going to make a difference," he added. "This is what universities are for."

News Hawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: diamondbackonline.com
Author: Nick Rhodes
Copyright: 2009 Diamond Back Online

Back
Top Bottom