Abstain From Lying About Mary Jane

Herb Fellow

I would like to respond to the article titled, "Dank? No thanks." I believe parts of this article are misleading. Yes, I do agree with the short-term effects marijuana has on some people, but how do you explain the highly educated professionals of this world that smoke? There are many professionals who are accredited academics, lawyers, doctors, judges and many more that make smoking a part of their lives. It's about self-control and moderation. Anyone who lets anything take control of his or her lives has a problem.

Marijuana has shown that is can help people suffering from certain illnesses. We allow doctors to give us all kinds of prescription drugs that sometimes do more harm than good. Considering the list of side effects on most prescription drugs are quite lengthy. Marijuana is sometimes taken to ease the side effects that come along with these prescription drugs. We need to use and treat marijuana as a gift for all people. It is ok if some do not want to smoke, but others should be able to freely.

Another thing that I did not agree with is that the loss of motor skills due to marijuana resulted in car accidents. The study that was quoted from Tenn. Said 33% of reckless drivers tested positive for marijuana. Yes, this may be the case but if you are somewhat educated on this subject you would know that depending on the person they may test positive for up to a month or more. So, even if these people did test positive, there is no proof that they were under the influence at the time of the accident. They may have smoked more than a week ago. Therefore, it is invalid to say that people who test positive for marijuana are the likely causes of accidents, as it states in paragraph three.

There was a quote in "Marijuana, Racism and You," that should of never been used. It read, "Two Negros took a girl fourteen years old and keep her for two days under the influence of hemp". This is absurd; the most common misconception of hemp is it is used to get high. No, this is not true. Hemp is used to produce fibers, oil, cloths, wood and more. This is something Americans should be taking advantage of. We have a natural resource that we can use to create all these good items. Lets get one thing straight, hemp is not marijuana. They may come from similar plants, but hemp is a word that is used to loosely.

People need to come out from under the fear society has placed on them and stop being ignorant to the positive uses of hemp and marijuana. Education is what is going help people see the truth, not fear.

Source: ArbiterOnline.com, Boise State's Independent Student Newspaper
Copyright: 2008, ArbiterOnline

THAT is why I come here. With a blazing grandson in ID, I would not get this news in NY. Im Grandma and not directly in the loop of up to the minute minute changes in public thinking in ID. In college and with his first MJ charges, I imagine the worst. You guys have done right by your readers in being a meaningful and appropriate source of info. From an unbiased point of view. It feels like Im in a starbucks and grooving. Thanks again,

I think you should only lie about your usage when your career or freedom hangs in the balance of an outcome of a sudden uncontrollable developing problem such as police questioning or career moves. I have absolutely no problem lying to accomplish this. Politicians lie about far worse things every day and justify it.

However, I also agree that you should not lie in order to keep others from thinking you are some kind of "pothead hippie" with no redeeming social value. People need to be educated about marijuana, not fed more stereotypical fear-mongering.

In order to put my opinion in perspective, I am one of those "highly educated professionals" listed in the original post. I also have been a police officer, and a U.S. Marine who worked in top secret intelligence services.

I prefer to leave it at that in case somebody is reading this that doesn't agree with our outlook on marijuana. Remember, only lie about marijuana in order to keep from getting screwed. The rest of the time, spread the word. There is always a time for everything. The problem is being able to tell them apart.

Back
Top Bottom