Acapulco Gold Girls with MARS II 900W LED - Four Inside - One Outside

Six9

Hello 420!

I started lurking in early May and quickly learned there was much more to growing my own bud than buying seeds and potting soil. I thought I had everything in place come May 31st but was mistaken. I converted a master bedroom closet to a 3 x 3 x 8 Mylar lined grow room with 6" Tjernlund inline duct fan, fan speed controller, thermometer/hydrometer, 600 watt digital ballast with cheap wing reflector and decent MH/HPS bulbs. I had seeds, germination cups, fabric bags of 1, 3, and 5 gallon variety, nutes, pH testers, distilled water, all in place.

May 31st, the big day, full system test. Closet temps with door closed quickly soared to over 90F, not much less with door wide open. I was crushed and went to the bar for a drink. I sat there researching LEDs and had a Mars Hydro II 900w ordered that day. I was SO ready to get the process started that I dropped seeds in water on a Wednesday knowing the light would be here Friday. UPS rescheduled delivery to Monday, and up pops the first baby Saturday morning. Luckily I had both CFL and compact LED grow bulbs on hand.

The rest has been good, I've made some rookie mistakes along the way, LED too close, fan too direct, overwatering, overfeeding, transplanting too quickly. I've learned along the way though, luckily these girls seem to love me despite my OCD.

THE STUFF:

Tjernlund 6" inline duct fan, 6" aluminium ductwork, 6" back draft damper
iPower 6" Carbon Filter
Mars Hydro II 900w (400+ watt actual) "full spectrum" LED
Barney's Acapulco Gold 80% Sativa seeds
Fox Farm Trio for soil and FF solubles
Cal Mag
SM-90 foiler for pest control (hopefully)
HM Digital PH and TDS pens
Sunshine Mix #4 and Perlite
Fine vermiculite for seed germination
Solo cups, seedling mat
Surprisingly great tap water at 47ppm!
PH UP/Down
Trays, cups, jars, etc.

TIMELINE:

June 3rd - Dropped seeds in water
June 6th - First seed sprouts, others later that day
June 7th - Seedlings showing strong beautiful purple stems, no stretching
June 8th - Mars LED installed
June 9th - June 19 - progression!
June 20th - First FF feeding at 25% recommended
June 21st - Plants thriving, beautiful stems and leaves, 3 nodes with no stretching, all seems well
June 22nd - Topped! Have to do at least one top
June 28th - Transferred 4 plants to final 5 gallon fabric pots, moved 1 plant outdoors!
July 11th - Applied SM-90 foiler to all, esp outdoor girl, will reapply as needed hope it helps

Sorry for the sideways pics, early pics taken from phone:
20150604_0923041.JPG
DSC_018721.JPG
DSC_018826.JPG
DSC_021813.JPG
DSC_02529.JPG
DSC_023818.JPG

Growth seemed slow after transplanting into 5 gal pots but they're really taking off now:
20150706_221140.JPG
P10000582.JPG
P10000442.JPG
P10000432.JPG
P10000951.JPG
P1000070.JPG
P1000069.JPG

On the outdoor girl, let's just say I didn't think I'd have a 100% germ rate and don't have room for all five indoors. I have to give her a chance, so I dug a 3x3x3 hole, lined it with chicken wire for mole protection, filled it with Coco, Sphagnum peat, natural soil and Fox Farms Marine Cuisine. There are deer in the area so I brought a tomato cage, twine, and plenty of my own urine. It's late in season, she's young, and I'm inexperienced. Despite it all she's doing okay!
DSC_02657.JPG
DSC_02675.JPG
DSC_02716.JPG
DSC_02729.JPG
DSC_02766.JPG

The spot gets amazing sun. It's remote but probably too open to hide her should someone venture into the area. I worked on camouflage:
DSC_028410.JPG
DSC_028510.JPG

Tomorrow will be two weeks in ground. Her first week saw amazing sun and perfect temps. Then came storms and intense heat/humidity. I was worried but she seems to be handling the heat very well. Damn pests got her though. I received SM-90 yesterday and applied this morning. Will reapply every few days, hopefully it helps. My fingers are crossed.. it's late in season and she has many threats. I have a half gallon of urine nearby with cap off, deer seem to be staying away. Many options for pest control but SM-90 seems like a great beneficial foiler that helps with pests. We'll see:
P1000089.JPG
P10000881.JPG
P10000931.JPG
P10000912.JPG
P1000080.JPG
P10000863.JPG
P1000087.JPG
https://www.420magazine.com/gallery/data/500/P10000832.JPG[/img

Considering sativas can triple in height, I may have to switch to flower very soon. They smell sooooo nice! I have a great exhaust system ducting straight into attic and up chimney box. It works very well but I can already smell them through the walls or something. Installing a carbon filter this weekend.

Comments and suggestions welcome :grinjoint:

Flipped to flower today on indoor girls. They're healthy despite my noob bumblings :)

Hope all is well in your world.

Is this grow still alive?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read our Photo Gallery Tutorial.

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom