Accidental Clone Grow Comparison Experiment

startergrow

I wanted to share a very "non-scientific" experiment I ended up doing on my last grow. It took 3 clones from the same plant, and just the way it worked out, grew them under somewhat different conditions in the same 2x4 tent.

The results totally reflect on my setup and my growing experience (and lack of) and do not mean to be an opinion on the value of any technique or technology over another. I thought it might be of interest anyway. (DISCLAIMER: your results may differ, not available in all states, may cause side effects like sausage-fingers, body leakage...)

Also I'm a terrible soil grower and have great respect for all those who get great results that way.

SETUP

Plant
: Canuk Cheese - 3 clones
RDWC: Airstones in res and 5gl buckets, watched the ppm, no real issues with the grow
Tent: 2'x4'x5' with inline air venting, no humidifier/de-humidifier
Veg: all with two 700W LEDs (~ actual output probably 350W)
Flower: - Soil and one DWC - 700W LED
- other DWC - 600W HPS (mounted higher)

grow.jpg

RESULTS

RESULT.jpg

So yes I definitely suck at soil. I watered with the same RDWC water but was not paying much attention to it. It was lost in the SCROG. I think that result can be ignored except to never listen to any comment I make in how to grow that way. It may show however that it might be easier for some, even beginners, to do DWC than soil. It depends on what interests you.

The main differences then were :

⦁ the lights (not isolated so some overlap)
⦁ the water feed back from the reservoir in one bucket only

I am very happy using the LEDs and do all grows with them because of heat. The LEDs put out about 1000 par in centre at 18" (manufacturer spec) and so are good.

The HPS light colour is great to have and these results with the HPS were great. They likely put out more watts but were mounted a lot higher.

I think the water feed might be a big factor which I hadn't considered. It is pouring res, oxygenated water on the roots and this might be making a difference. I've changed my setup now to feed the res back to both buckets for the next grow.

Anyway just want to give back some info as I've taken so much from the people on the forum. Take from it what you will. Different outputs for sure but maybe in the end all it shows is that, sometimes it goes better than others.

Hiya @startergrow what 700w led are you using? 700w actual is a HUGE led. The one you are using in your graphic is lucky to push 100w. If you are using what the manufacturer is labeling "700w" and it is actually way lower wattage (what these type lights usually run), there will be no comparison.

Hey Pbass, you're right the graphic is not the actual light (clipart I could find). I'm using Mars II 700. (sponsor so I can mention) I'll post the PAR values from the manufacturer below.

I've been really happy with the Mars LEDs. I have two 700s that I use in the tent (2'x4') for almost a few years now and they're still going strong.

I just had the chance to try the HPS light and it was interesting. Not really fair as it was 600W and I had nothing to measure the PAR levels from the HPS. It generates too much heat for me to use regularly though. I was fighting with balancing airing the heat out and retaining some humidity in the tent.

In the end I think there was just more watts coming out of the HPS (as you're saying) so no mystery there, (more growth) and I think the reservoir feed might have been a factor with more direct nutrients and O2 to the roots. I was just surprised at the difference in the two clones as I thought the light level for plants maxed out at about 1200 umol.

I don't think you can beat the convenience, economy and stability of LED lights for a grow IMHO, especially with the newer LEDs with extended wavelengths and more natural colour. But the old school lights have something to be said for them too.

Cheers

1614298899222.png

Back
Top Bottom