Advice on what leaves to remove - Including pics

static123

Hi guys and girls, I am in need of some advice please, as you can see form the pics I have two cbd nordle's and there a bit bushy. I think I need to get rid of some of the fan leaves to allow better air flow and light to hit more bud sites that are forming below. I am a little unsure as to what ones to remove so any suggestions / advice is very welcome. This is week 2.5 in so there growing at a good rate, I am using all the bio bizz stuff inc foliar feeding with fish mix, currently under a 250w HPS, I have lifted the lights in the hope to get some stretch but its just not working, there 80% indica so perhaps thats the reason :) However I have topped them as I plan to use a scrog later in veg.

2017-08-29_09_42_57.jpg

2017-08-29_09_42_45.jpg

2017-08-29_09_42_41.jpg

2017-08-29_09_42_36.jpg

Hope you can help and many thanks as always.

Static

Hi guys and girls, I am in need of some advice please, as you can see form the pics I have two cbd nordle's and there a bit bushy. I think I need to get rid of some of the fan leaves to allow better air flow and light to hit more bud sites that are forming below. I am a little unsure as to what ones to remove so any suggestions / advice is very welcome. This is week 2.5 in so there growing at a good rate, I am using all the bio bizz stuff inc foliar feeding with fish mix, currently under a 250w HPS, I have lifted the lights in the hope to get some stretch but its just not working, there 80% indica so perhaps thats the reason :) However I have topped them as I plan to use a scrog later in veg.

2017-08-29_09_42_57.jpg

2017-08-29_09_42_45.jpg

2017-08-29_09_42_41.jpg

2017-08-29_09_42_36.jpg

Hope you can help and many thanks as always.

Static

Good morning your plants are beautiful !!! I'm on my second grow ever and I always start trimming with fan leaves I start from the middle and take the fan leaves from middle to bottom ... helps with air flow too !! I am sure a more experienced grower will chime in but I just trimmed mine yesterday.. check em out in my journal ! It's in my signature ! Good luck

Your plants look great! :thumb:

If I were you, I'd move that light back down to where it was. No point in trying to get the plants to stretch by depriving them of light that would help them to grow.

Do your plants have droplets of water where the leaves touch, even with a fan blowing on them (i.e. are they so dense that the water from normal transpiration is getting trapped)? That's what my dense little dwarf was doing, which is what got me to start a series of about five defoliations. You can read about them in this grow log if you're interested:

Scientific's Hydro Dwarf Low Flyer 24/7 Illumination Fireplace Grow Journal - 2017

The philosophy that I evolved was that the following types of leaves were candidates for removal:
  • Damaged or sick
  • Completely shaded by other higher or outer leaves.
  • Blocking light to a bud site
More info and discussion at my log.

Don't fret, your plants look like they are doing great, and they will definitely poof up when they start their stretch. I think your grow is in really good shape so far.

Hi guys, thanks loads for the info and help its really appreciated, I have taken away some of leaves that were blocking light and air to bud sites but I still thinking I should take more off, here is a pic of how they look now with less leaves,

2017-08-30_09_25_08.jpg

Again big big thank's

here is a pic of how they look now with less leaves

In a day or two, you won't even be able to tell and you'll be defoliating again. ;) But that's a good thing! Your plants look very healthy and happy.

A couple of questions: Are those pots big enough? It's hard to tell, but they look smallish. And have you started low stress training yet? It's probably about time to give those bushes some discipline in their wild ways...

In a day or two, you won't even be able to tell and you'll be defoliating again. ;) But that's a good thing! Your plants look very healthy and happy.

A couple of questions: Are those pots big enough? It's hard to tell, but they look smallish. And have you started low stress training yet? It's probably about time to give those bushes some discipline in their wild ways...

Hi, The pots are 9L air pruning one's unfortunately I cant fit anything bigger in there, the next ones up are 20L from what I can find. I have done a little LST and will continue to do so, then ill fit the scrog and get them tucking under. again thanks for your help

Back
Top Bottom