African American Group Holds Debate On Marijuana

MedicalNeed

Is Smoking Marijuana a Civil Right or Will It Poison Our Community?

That's the question being asked tonight at the California Forum Crossroads, a non-partisan African American discussion group.

The event will be held from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. at Underground Books 35th Street & Broadway, A reception precedes the debate at 6:30 p.m.

Sam Starks, director of the forum, notes this debate is an critical issue in black American that "marks a very real value difference in the way African Americans are addressing issues of civil rights."

Starks, who plans Sacramento's annual MLK celebration, said "I could hear Dr. King say, `Vanity asks the question: Is it popular? Politics asks the question: Will it win? Conscience asks the question: Is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor political, nor popular, but he must do it because conscience tells him it is right'."

Starks said the issue before the African American community is whether decriminalizing and regulating marijuana in the name of protecting our civil rights is a reasonable and justified solution to reducing the numbers of African Americans in the criminal justice system? Would legalizing marijuana address the disparities or create a bigger problems?

NewsHawk: MedicalNeed:420 MAGAZINE
Source:sacbee.com
Author: Stephen Magagnini
Copyright: The Sacramento Bee

To say the least I am for the reform. Gang violence is a major problem in the black community and to take away one of their major sources of revenue is a step in the right direction. We are targeted by the officers of law enforcement and then placed in the system where it is common to have ones rights revoked as an american citizen. I do believe it is time for the black community to ask whether it's worth the young lives it cost to keep our old way of thinking or is it time to move past traditions and embrace legalization as a step closer to civil equality?

Back
Top Bottom