New Jim Crow: How The War On Drugs Gave Birth To A Permanent American Undercaste

Warbux

I work this issue every day and am well aware of the racist nature of the War on (Certain American Citizens Using Non-Pharmaceutical, Non-Alcoholic, Tobacco-Free) Drugs. But even I wasn't aware of the outrageous statistics comparing the Drug War to Jim Crow era. Michelle Alexander lays it all out in her new book, The New Jim Crow: How the War on Drugs Gave Birth to a Permanent American Undercaste:

There are more African Americans under correctional control today – in prison or jail, on probation or parole – than were enslaved in 1850, a decade before the Civil War began.
As of 2004, more African American men were disenfranchised (due to felon disenfranchisement laws) than in 1870, the year the Fifteenth Amendment was ratified, prohibiting laws that explicitly deny the right to vote on the basis of race.
A black child born today is less likely to be raised by both parents than a black child born during slavery. The recent disintegration of the African American family is due in large part to the mass imprisonment of black fathers.
If you take into account prisoners, a large majority of African American men in some urban areas have been labeled felons for life. (In the Chicago area, the figure is nearly 80%.) These men are part of a growing undercaste – not class, caste – permanently relegated, by law, to a second-class status. They can be denied the right to vote, automatically excluded from juries, and legally discriminated against in employment, housing, access to education, and public benefits, much as their grandparents and great-grandparents were during the Jim Crow era.
The uncomfortable truth, however, is that crime rates do not explain the sudden and dramatic mass incarceration of African Americans during the past 30 years. Crime rates have fluctuated over the last few decades – they are currently are at historical lows – but imprisonment rates have consistently soared. Quintupled, in fact. And the vast majority of that increase is due to the War on Drugs. Drug offenses alone account for about two-thirds of the increase in the federal inmate population, and more than half of the increase in the state prison population.

The drug war has been brutal – complete with SWAT teams, tanks, bazookas, grenade launchers, and sweeps of entire neighborhoods – but those who live in white communities have little clue to the devastation wrought. This war has been waged almost exclusively in poor communities of color, even though studies consistently show that people of all colors use and sell illegal drugs at remarkably similar rates. In fact, some studies indicate that white youth are significantly more likely to engage in illegal drug dealing than black youth. Any notion that drug use among African Americans is more severe or dangerous is belied by the data. White youth, for example, have about three times the number of drug-related visits to the emergency room as their African American counterparts.

That is not what you would guess, though, when entering our nation's prisons and jails, overflowing as they are with black and brown drug offenders. In some states, African Americans comprise 80%-90% of all drug offenders sent to prison.

The only thing more shocking to me than the new Jim Crow of the drug war is how few African-Americans are involved in ending it.

The board of the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws (NORML) is composed of 14 white men, 1 white woman, and 1 Latina (Full disclosure: this board is my employer)
Marijuana Policy Project (MPP) has no African-Americans or Latinos on their board as far as I'm aware (MPP does not publish this information on their website, as far as I can tell)
Drug Policy Alliance (DPA) boasts three African-American men on their board of directors
Americans for Safe Access (to medical marijuana, or ASA) has no African-Americans or Latinos on their board
Law Enforcement Against Prohibition (LEAP) has one African-American on their board

Medical Marijuana march in Madison, Wisconsin (I know Madison, Seattle, and Albuquerque aren't exactly Atlanta, Detroit, and Chicago, but there has to be SOME black people there, right?)
This sort of racial homogeneity is also found at the grassroots activist level as well. I coordinate NORML's 95 active state, local, and college chapters and off the top of my head I can think of only one chapter not run by a white person (Oregon NORML's Madeline Martinez, who, coincidentally, is that sole Latina on the National NORML Board).

When I speak at conferences and festivals to crowds ranging from 50 to 50,000, it is always a nearly unbroken sea of white faces looking back at me. When I participate in the marches and protests against the drug war, I rarely see black or Latino people carrying a sign.

My view from the stage before speaking at last year's Seattle Hempfest, the largest marijuana reform rally in the world.
The War on Drugs is primarily a War on Marijuana, which makes up 49.8% of all drug war arrests, 89% of those arrests for simple possession. In New York City, a black man is nine times more likely to be busted for pot than a white man and three times more likely to get a custodial sentence out of that arrest. Yet when we look at the cannabis community, the only place we find many African-American faces is in rap videos extolling the virtues of "the chronic".

Where is the Martin Luther King Jr. of the movement to end the War on Drugs? Why is he or she not responding to the efforts to end the single greatest cause of racial inequality in this nation?

Is he or she dissuaded by the culture of the black church, which demonizes drugs and drug use to the point where those who support sensible drug policies are shamed into silence?

Drug Policy Alliance's Int'l Reform Conference in Albuquerque, 2009
Is he or she turned away by looking at the leadership of drug law reform and seeing no faces like theirs?

Is he or she already feeling like they wear a target for law enforcement on their back already based on skin color and don't feel like exacerbating that by publicly standing for drug law reform?

Whatever it is, this white man who's used cannabis for twenty years and never once had an interaction with police is urgently calling out to my black and Latino brothers and sisters to get involved with your own liberation!

News Hawk: Warbux 420 Magazine - Cannabis Culture News & Reviews
Source: NORML Website
Author: Russ Belville
Copyright: 2010 NORML

Re: The New Jim Crow: How The War On Drugs Gave Birth To A Permanent American Underca

Wow. I knew that the War on Drugs was extremely racist, but never did I consider it worse than the Jim Crowe and pre-American civil war eras. Worse than when regulations against stepping on a white person's shadow were the norm. Worse than when blacks were legally bought and sold like livestock.

But then again, just today I heard my own mother say, "the Mexicans have taken over the country with their marijuana," after noting that one of my toker buddies had a glazed look in his eyes.

Nice job finding this one, Warbux. :welldone:

Re: The New Jim Crow: How The War On Drugs Gave Birth To A Permanent American Underca

Wow. I knew that the War on Drugs was extremely racist, but never did I consider it worse than the Jim Crowe and pre-American civil war eras. Worse than when regulations against stepping on a white person's shadow were the norm. Worse than when blacks were legally bought and sold like livestock.

But then again, just today I heard my own mother say, "the Mexicans have taken over the country with their marijuana," after noting that one of my toker buddies had a glazed look in his eyes.

Nice job finding this one, Warbux. :welldone:

Thank :thanks:You, I'm glad to hear someone liked this..:roorrip::yahoo:

And its sad isn't it. I think a lot of blacks have just given up just like some of us old hippies did in the 70's. Its not easy fighting a racist and bigotted bureaucracy. And of course an awful lot of the minority fighters are sitting in prisons for decades. I would like to see all of us try and reach a hand out to the minorities that are having to endure the same persecutions we all are.

People should read up or watch some of editorials done on the racist background of all our drug laws. Its enlightening and disturbing to see what a racist country we continue to be.

I am a white guy in Canada. We have race problems up here, but It is not close to as bad as it is in the U.S.;the bigger cities are getting closer to U.S. rates. I do not think of myself as a white guy, I just think of myself as a guy. I think of myself as a medical cannabis user, with many different brothers and sisters out there of all colours. It is the things we share that is more important than what amount of pigment is in my skin (or not). This issue can be a big healer if Obama was on his game.

I am a white guy in Canada. We have race problems up here, but It is not close to as bad as it is in the U.S.;the bigger cities are getting closer to U.S. rates. I do not think of myself as a white guy, I just think of myself as a guy. I think of myself as a medical cannabis user, with many different brothers and sisters out there of all colours. It is the things we share that is more important than what amount of pigment is in my skin (or not). This issue can be a big healer if Obama was on his game.

i'm an earthling

I want to talk about a couple of my fears. I am afraid that a thief, in the process of trying to steal my legal Cannabis, can kill or hurt one of my family. I do not want to be killed or hurt over a plant. My other fear is some cop is going to kick in the door and cause a big stink till I can show him my licence. That would tip off everyone in the area that I have Cannabis, again boosting my earlier fear. These are real and rational fears that will change when full legalization comes in and the price drops to so many dollars per ton (just like any other crop). Till that happens, I cannot smoke in public safely nor express myself freely.

this is a great read, thank you.

Obama is full of it !! He's just another big $$ politition, that makes empty promises !! All them polititians swear by the public education system, but you see where their kids go to school !! Fire up a big bowl, Mr. Obama, and chill. Keep the promises you made, that made me vote for your sorry, lying ass !!
:reading420magazine:

Back
Top Bottom