Another Infringement On Our Sovereignty

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
Canada - Some of you may know of Mark Emery, a.k.a. the Prince of Pot, and his very public campaign against his unconstitutional extradition to the United States.

Mr. Emery is, or rather was, a tax paying resident of Vancouver, BC for 16 years. He was also the owner of a marijuana seed distribution company, a pot legalization activist, publisher of Cannabis Culture magazine, founding member of both federal and provincial Marijuana Parties, and ran for Vancouver city mayor on several occasions

The Prince does not grow, clip, bag, and sell copious quantities of marijuana. He simply sells seeds through a legitimate taxpaying company, an activity that has been permitted by the RCMP and Vancouver City Police for over a decade.

Recently, however, the US Government has waged war against Mr. Emery classifying him as one of the largest drug dealers on the continent. If one seed is equal to one pound of marijuana as per regulations put forth by the U.S. justice system then Emery, by their standard, is responsible for exporting millions of pounds of marijuana to the United States. For this reason, he has been a target of the American “War on Drugs” since 1995.

On Thursday, May 20th Mr. Emery was extradited to the United States where he faces five years in prison for activities that were conducted on Canadian soil and condoned by the Canadian government.

Emery’s fate rested in the hands of Conservative MP and Minister of Justice, Rob Nicholson. The unwarranted extradition of one of our fellow Canadians only happened because our Justice Minister permitted it.

This accession by Nicholson raises many questions such as: “What good is a Justice Minister who promotes such a double-standard when it comes to foreign and domestic policies regarding marijuana?, What good is a Justice Minister so out of tune with Canadian values and so willing to fall to American influence and pressure?, Why should anyone place any faith in a man unwilling to protect taxpaying Canadian citizens from an abomination of a policy like the American war on drugs?”.

All I can say or do is express my extreme displeasure with his decision via letters to his office which leaves me feeling somewhat helpless and skeptical of my government’s ability to stand up for Canadian sovereignty.

This is not about marijuana and its legality, but Canadian sovereignty. Last week, we lost a little more of that precious possession to our southern neighbours.

Thank you Justice Minister Nicholson for setting another backward legal precedent.

Rob Maciak is a current MSc Environmental Science student with a background in political science

NewsHawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE
Source: theomega.ca
Author: Rob Maciak
Copyright: 2010 The Omega

Back
Top Bottom