Anthony Suszko: Tony's First Grow

Not joking, male plants produce THC as well. Doing a smoke test of your male plant is an indicator of the quality of the breeder male. Collect some of the top male flower (a bowl or two worth) before the pollen sacs open, dry it, and give it a smoke. You want to harvest your tester from the top 1/4 of the plant for the best quality for testing and before the pollen sacs open. Once they start to open the potency starts to drop.

Not joking, male plants produce THC as well. Doing a smoke test of your male plant is an indicator of the quality of the breeder male. Collect some of the top male flower (a bowl or two worth) before the pollen sacs open, dry it, and give it a smoke. You want to harvest your tester from the top 1/4 of the plant for the best quality for testing and before the pollen sacs open. Once they start to open the potency starts to drop.
I'd forgotten about that.

OK cool, I'm on it.. will pick a few flowers and snap a photo of what i gathered for testing..

OK cool, I'm on it.. will pick a few flowers and snap a photo of what i gathered for testing..
got 2 tops i can afford to waste on this experiment.

Potency-test.png

Ya just needed the leaves. I'd pick them off.
this plant is loaded, wanted to show a pic of the tops.. took one from top and one from middle.. and why not see if the pod holds any value while i'm at it.. There was always a few immature seeds popping when i smoked a bowl in the old days.. lol
I'll let it dry out for a few days and do a test smoke on the leaves.. and see how the pod looks as it dries. may take an exacto knife shaving down on it to fill a 1hitter..

this plant is loaded, wanted to show a pic of the tops.. took one from top and one from middle.. and why not see if the pod holds any value while i'm at it.. There was always a few immature seeds popping when i smoked a bowl in the old days.. lol
I'll let it dry out for a few days and do a test smoke on the leaves.. and see how the pod looks as it dries. may take an exacto knife shaving down on it to fill a 1hitter..
I'm surprised we didn't loose an eye on the 70s. :cool:

I'm surprised we didn't loose an eye on the 70s. :cool:
so true.. Funny story... so back in high school there's this cheerleader chick hottie who partied with us up on the hill off school grounds, and was telling us she was bummed out because it's a tradition to pass on your uniform to the next class of upcoming cheerleaders.. No one wanted her uniform because all the little seed burn holes were blatantly visible all over the front :rofl: I had many concert T-shirts with those tell tale markings..

That should give you an idea on how he is for breeding stock. It won't take long for the flowers to dry, much faster than females.

Here is some more information from The Marijuana Growers Guide,

Potency by Sex
Although marijuana lore claimed the female to be the more potent, scientists disclaimed this. But there is some truth to both sides. In fine marijuana varieties, male and female leaves average about the same in cannabinoid concentrations. Either a male or a female individual may have the highest concentration in any particular case. The largest variation is in comparing the flowers. Male flowers may be comparable to the females, or they may not even get you high. It seems that the higher the quality of the grass, the better the male flowers will be.

Ed later goes on to state when talking about potency and age of a plant,

For the male plant, preflowering ends with renewed growth. This lengthens the uppermost internodes and the first male flower buds appear. THC immediately increases with the development of the male flower clusters, and reaches its peak when most of the flowers are fully formed and a few are beginning to release pollen. After pollen release, the male normally loses vigor and THC content slowly declining until the plant is cured and stored.

That should give you an idea on how he is for breeding stock. It won't take long for the flowers to dry, much faster than females.

Here is some more information from The Marijuana Growers Guide,

Potency by Sex
Although marijuana lore claimed the female to be the more potent, scientists disclaimed this. But there is some truth to both sides. In fine marijuana varieties, male and female leaves average about the same in cannabinoid concentrations. Either a male or a female individual may have the highest concentration in any particular case. The largest variation is in comparing the flowers. Male flowers may be comparable to the females, or they may not even get you high. It seems that the higher the quality of the grass, the better the male flowers will be.

Ed later goes on to state when talking about potency and age of a plant,

For the male plant, preflowering ends with renewed growth. This lengthens the uppermost internodes and the first male flower buds appear. THC immediately increases with the development of the male flower clusters, and reaches its peak when most of the flowers are fully formed and a few are beginning to release pollen. After pollen release, the male normally loses vigor and THC content slowly declining until the plant is cured and stored.
I knew or heard males were used as bulk for hash production so had an inkling there was some smoke value here..
Thanks for dropping this stuff.. I love reading this kind of stuff.. This is going to be a fun test smoke ..:Rasta:

Here's some more information on what parts of the plant are most potent.

Here are the potencies, in descending order, of the various plant parts:
1. Female flowering clusters. In practice you don’t separate hundreds of tiny bracts to make a joint. The whole flowering mass (seeds removed), along with small accompanying leaves, forms the material.

2. Male flower clusters. These vary more in relative potency depending on the strain (see “Potency by Sex,” below).

3. Growing shoots. Before the plants flower, the vegetative shoots (tips) of the main stem and branches are the most potent plant parts.

4. Leaves
(a) that accompany flowers (small);
(b) along branches (medium);
(c) along main stem (large).
Generally, the smaller the leaf is, the more potent it can be.

5. Petioles (leaf stalks). Same order as leaves.

6. Stems. Same order as leaves. The smaller the stem (twig), the higher the possible concentration of cannabinoids. Stems over 1/16” in diameter contain only traces of cannabinoids and are not worth smoking. The small stems that bear the flowers can be quite potent.

7. Seeds and Roots. Contain only traces (less then .01 percent) and are not worth smoking or extracting.

This order is fairly consistent. The exceptions can be the small leaves that accompany male flowers, which are sometimes more potent than the flowers themselves. The growing shoots are sometimes more potent than the mature female flowers.

Samples of pollen show varying amounts of cannabinoids. Resin glands are found inside the anthers, alongside the developing pollen grains, and form two rows on opposite sides of each anther. Pollen grains are smaller than the heads of large resin glands ({see Plate 7}), and range from 21 to 69 micrometres in diameter (21). A small amount of resin contaminates the pollen when glands rupture, but most of the THC in pollen samples comes from gland heads that fall with pollen when the flowers are shaken to collect it. One study, using pollen for the sample, found concentrations of up to 0.96 percent THC, more than enough to get you high (79).

lol on smoking up some hydro roots... I got some killer long ones..
I like this though.. One study, using pollen for the sample, found concentrations of up to 0.96 percent THC, more than enough to get you high (79).

Here's some more information on what parts of the plant are most potent.

Here are the potencies, in descending order, of the various plant parts:
1. Female flowering clusters. In practice you don’t separate hundreds of tiny bracts to make a joint. The whole flowering mass (seeds removed), along with small accompanying leaves, forms the material.

2. Male flower clusters. These vary more in relative potency depending on the strain (see “Potency by Sex,” below).

3. Growing shoots. Before the plants flower, the vegetative shoots (tips) of the main stem and branches are the most potent plant parts.

4. Leaves
(a) that accompany flowers (small);
(b) along branches (medium);
(c) along main stem (large).
Generally, the smaller the leaf is, the more potent it can be.

5. Petioles (leaf stalks). Same order as leaves.

6. Stems. Same order as leaves. The smaller the stem (twig), the higher the possible concentration of cannabinoids. Stems over 1/16” in diameter contain only traces of cannabinoids and are not worth smoking. The small stems that bear the flowers can be quite potent.

7. Seeds and Roots. Contain only traces (less then .01 percent) and are not worth smoking or extracting.

This order is fairly consistent. The exceptions can be the small leaves that accompany male flowers, which are sometimes more potent than the flowers themselves. The growing shoots are sometimes more potent than the mature female flowers.

Samples of pollen show varying amounts of cannabinoids. Resin glands are found inside the anthers, alongside the developing pollen grains, and form two rows on opposite sides of each anther. Pollen grains are smaller than the heads of large resin glands ({see Plate 7}), and range from 21 to 69 micrometres in diameter (21). A small amount of resin contaminates the pollen when glands rupture, but most of the THC in pollen samples comes from gland heads that fall with pollen when the flowers are shaken to collect it. One study, using pollen for the sample, found concentrations of up to 0.96 percent THC, more than enough to get you high (79).
Since I have nothing in the house right now. I'm looking forward to that mid to end flower range. Picking a few frosty fan leaves can bring a pretty good buzz. Samples are fun. Great info phantom.

Happy to share what I've learned. I've been back looking into seeds, not to buy I swear but to understand breeding and genetics better. Anyways, one of the breeder's strains I was looking into had the male they used to pollinate with test reports coming back at 3% THC which apparently is super high for a male flower. There's some other things to look at when selecting males to breed with, one being to choose the later flowering males and cull the early flowering ones.

Happy to share what I've learned. I've been back looking into seeds, not to buy I swear but to understand breeding and genetics better. Anyways, one of the breeder's strains I was looking into had the male they used to pollinate with test reports coming back at 3% THC which apparently is super high for a male flower. There's some other things to look at when selecting males to breed with, one being to choose the later flowering males and cull the early flowering ones.
Love the info you post for us.. never falls on deaf ears with me.. but then i also try not to abuse it..

My next grow I'm calling a VARIETY .. i wanted to find something interesting and think I found it.. If I can hunt it down or find something comparable IE: Vietnam Black, Thai stick, or Juicy fruit id be happy with those. I'm also looking for something cool to cross next grow.. something Vietnamese-Laotian or backtrack to crossing Male Afghan with a Hindu Kush ..I want something really different to grow.. along with really good Landrace genetics.

Wild Thai
One of DCC's Pride and Joys is our Wild Thai strain sourced from Thailand. This strain took 3rd Place in the 2019 Connoisseur Cup for Best Sativa and also won a bronze medal for Best Sativa in the 2017 Concentrate Cup. After years of R&D and pheno-hunting, this strain was just released to the market on 4/20, 2019
Wild Thai is an incredibly rare, 100% pure sativa strain descended from the infamous Thai Landrace strain bred in the Ko Chang archipelago. This strain is packed with sweet, earthy, and berry aromas with a touch of herbs and pine. The flavor is woody and sweet with a sour berry taste that lingers long after your last toke. Wild Thai will lift your mood and leave you feeling incredibly euphoric, without being overly racy. If you are looking for an old school strain that will leave you energetic, motivated, this is the perfect strain for you.

ACE Seeds › Vietnam Black x Thai Strain: Vietnam Black x Thai
Breeder: ACE Seeds
Type: sativa
Flowering: ~91 days
No feminized seeds.
[h=1]ACE Seeds - Vietnam Black x Thai[/h] Excellent hybrid of sativas from South East Asia. Our best Vietnam Black, Orient Express’s mother, has been pollinated by a Meao Thai male, the exceptional highland Thai developed by Cannabiogen.

Compared to Golden Tiger, Vietnam Black x Thai offers more powerful aroma, higher yield and quicker flowering time, though its flowers are not so dense and powerful.

Structure: Sativa with a strong and bushy structure, is the most robust Thai hybrid.

Bouquet: In approximately half of the plants dominate the sweet and sugary flavours, while in the other half, typical wet earthy aroma and coffee are to be found. Deep and long lasting taste in the palate.

High: Warm and expansive effect, stimulating at the begining and then relaxing.

Outdoors: Recommended for tropical/subtropical climates. In more northern climates we recommend coastal climates with warm autumns.

Indoors: Vietnam Black x Thai is the best adapted Sativa x Meao Thai for indoor growing. Recommended light intensity: 600 w/m2.

Genetics: Vietnam Black x Meao Thai. F1 Hybrid. 100% sativa.

This male hatched May 24th didnt exhibit any early sex signs but mimicing the female's shape/form maybe as a self defense mechanism from early culling but finally showed himself in the 3rd or 4th day of 12/12 via the white button tops on the flowers and sacks began to form along the beams.. I definately think medium to later flowering plant..

This male hatched May 24th didnt exhibit any early sex signs but mimicing the female's shape/form maybe as a self defense mechanism from detection-early culling ? The male finally showed himself in the 3rd or 4th day of 12/12 via the white button tops on the flowers and sacks began to form along the beams.. I definately think medium to later flowering plant..
Side note.. I dont know how much a part being sync'ed into a grow alongside females plays a part in him flowering early or late? or prime zone location and perfect growing conditions factor in to early-late. All I basically know about this plant is that I was able to veg it for about 8 weeks but could have easily taken it longer. The females were growing tall. Big Sexy has reached 5 foot 6 inches already and a hand full to move around. Conditions in the LED booth were getting cramped and was afraid of breaking branches pulling them out every night & hauling them up the stairs without breaking something. I decided to 12/12 all of em at the same time saving my back and freeing up the booth for a clone-hydro grow. Plants have 12/12'd from patio to dark garage every night so basically finishing off this grow as a total outdoor flow period using MC started in week 7 of veg... For the veg I split 8 weeks of 18/6 into LED-sunlight.. I want to see how sunlight-wind- rain factor into the taste profile, if those grow conditions mellow out the taste- bring on an earthiness flavor? I'll use the clones downstairs as control for taste comparison. Clones will be 100% LED booth grown.

Grow description says-
You can expect robust, medium-sized plants with strong branches and lush foliage. Give them at least eight weeks to grow. The flowering phase lasts around seven to nine weeks. Growth is limited, as is typical of indica. You can expect your plants to more or less double in size.

Update: 7/31/2020

Although marijuana lore claimed the female to be the more potent, scientists disclaimed this. But there is some truth to both sides.
In fine marijuana varieties, male and female leaves average about the same in cannabinoid concentrations. Either a male or a female individual may have the highest concentration in any particular case. The largest variation is in comparing the flowers. Male flowers may be comparable to the females, or they may not even get you high. It seems that the higher the quality of the grass, the better the male flowers will be.

OK, MIND IS TOTALLY BLOWN!!!!
I got high for about an hour and a half. It started in the back of my head and ran down my neck into my shoulders...a very relaxing euphoric brain buzz that actually felt pretty strong at it's peak and also brought on a touch of paranoia for a min and then mellowed out into gone.. I didnt touch the plate yet but was just playing around with some random leaves after cleaning the plant up.. I decided to chop them up and give them a spin in the microwave for a minute and it gave me that kind of high.. The Phantom , Dude, do you know what this means?
All this time people have been throwing their Males away when they could have been smoking them in those times between grows when they are not pot rich... What's cool about this is now I have a buffer plant I can smoke and not have to nip on my females while they cure... That's awesome.. My mom is from the old country and used to harvest tobacco on the family farm back in Poland. She made me some leaf bundles and strung the long branches together for drying..
We have weed hanging up on display in our kitchen :rofl:

All that's left of the male..
MaleAf1.png
2 Leaf bundles.
MaleAF3.png
long branches tied up for drying.
MaleAF2.png

Back
Top Bottom