Anyone use a water chiller with the SH Deep Water Culture outfit

With water temps being a big problem. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with water chillers.

I have never temped my water in the years I have been growing, I let it ride at the faucet temp and whatever the temp is in the reservoir...hehe of course I don't test my PH, PPM, or anything and I haven't had one plant problem yet...but I have an aqua thumb too...make me grow in soil...I'll kill it sure as schnizzle!!

Longhorn, My water temp will be around 80 degs without help.

Acer, your res temp is fine. Just make sure you do a water change before 7 days is up. Keeping that temp is ok, but algae and bacteria grow easier at that temp. Remember, water change, water change, water change...may cost you a few more dollars in chemicals...but it is still cheaper than what you could buy your meds for!!!

Longhorn, If I didn't already have a chiller to use free of charge I would't get one either. However, I have one and will use it. It will make res changes extremely easy too. I still plan on changing the res every week.

Bendog420, I like your idea too.

I usually just take out a gallon add some ice and put it back (let the ice melt) ,also keep a wet rag hanging around your res with a fan on it . My temps so far are still high 60s !

If your air temps are far below the temps in the res, you can point a fan at it, but make sure you don't windburn your plants doing that.

I use ice made from reservoir water made up for replenishment. I use tubs from lunch meat packaging, fill with prefed and ph'ed water, freeze overnight, then place in the tubs. I have been storing 6 tubs in the fridge at any time. One large cube in a 4 gallon bucket can lower the temp by 5 degrees temporarily. It seems to last quite a few hours and then we repeat the process. I'm checking the cabinet twice a day anyway, this is just one more procedure.

don't windburn your plants doing that.
Excuse my ignorance...What is windburn?

I come from growing outdoors where we regularly got 20+ mph gusts...I always looked at wind as a bonus that helped keep bugs away, and increased transpiration (nute uptake) while making strong stems to hold fat buds.

When I saw a grow room of mark emery's on MSNBC and those plant were blowing around like a hurricane was about to hit.

If you hit the plant in one spot, usually from the underside, it'll burn the plant from loss of water left. I suspect it tends to happen more when there is a lower then ideal humidity level, causing too much transpiration in combination with the air. It causes the edges to look rather dry, curled, darker, and burnt, if the leaf manages not to succumb to the direct, unmoving wind.

i did a water cooler to chiller for my grow look @ link below

I checked out your water chiller that you made!

I have the store bought model so I paid alot more than you!!!

+ Reps!!:cheer:

:thanks: i was about to go drop some $$$ on a store one too but a light bulb went on when i saw it sitting in the free pile =) it took about 3 days to get it running straight. and since i added the 225gph pump its has the nute temp at 70 and the cooler temp in the 50s so no more dry ice or ice just tap water cycling which i swap out every wk with the resv changes

Back
Top Bottom