Anyone used Espoma Organic potting mix? Slow seedling growth

James427

I got a small bag of Espoma Organic potting mix to start some bag seed just to get some experience before trying anything worth something like from a seed bank because I'm a complete newbie. It says on the bag it is an all natural potting mix for all potted plants with earthworm castings and myco tone (?). Says on the bag its formulated from 45-55% sphagnum peat moss, peat humus,
Perlite, earthworm castings, and dolomitic limestone for soil ph. Now I would have went with fox farms but espoma seemed OK and It was 6 dollars at my local hardware store. I actually have been using this on a small seedling from bagseed that's about 13 days old and has 3 sets of true leaves growing pretty slow though it maybe my RH as it's well below 40% most of the time. Temps are in the upper 70s and it seems to be doing OK in this soil otherwise. I did ad about 25% of extra perlite for drainage but I'm hoping the soil isn't holding to much water. With what is in this soil do you think it's worth using or should I just invest in some FF brand Organic soil next time? Main reason I'm wondering is because I'm worried about giving a light feeding to my seedling if the soils gonna be to hot. I was thinking about feeing at 2 weeks (tomorrow) but I'm thinking I should wait and just use plain water. The seedlings first two sets of true leaves are pretty big almost reaching the edge of the solo cup but I have barely seen it grow in the last 3-4 days. It maybe because of the soils nutes or because I'm using a 600 watt mh on 50% power about 3 feet away. Anyone else use epsoma?

:bump: I noticed my seedlings solo cup is pretty light now and dry below an inch of depth into the soil so it's time for a watering\light feeding but which one is the question. I don't know If my soil is still to hot. Also just realized my one cotyledon leaf has what appears to be a burn on the tip and they are both curling downwards really bad although they still have a healthy green color. True leaves look good aside from some slight twisting maybe from soil pH is my guess. Is it normal this far in to have a cotyledon do this at 2 weeks? Also I have foliage pro from Dyna gro should I give a very light feeding to this watering?

Update: I just used a very light feeding with Dyna gro foliage pro used 1\8th of a TSP per gallon in distilled water. Only thing is I was stupid and purchased a cheap digital pH meter that seems extremely inaccurate. It was reading 5.0 on distilled water after calibrating with buffer solutions it came with and I know that I false sense distilled water is neutral so I calibrated it back to the 7.0 reading it had when I first got it when in distilled water. It said then that my feed solution was around 6.5~ pH and runoff after watering was 7.2~ pH. I did add a bit of soil on top because I was about an inch low and my soil contains buffers in case pH meter Is way off. Any idea on a good ph meter? This one I have is a cheap one in this combo : Digital' 'PH' 'Meter' ''+'' 'TDS' 'Tester' 'Aquarium' 'Pool' 'Hydroponic' 'Water' 'Monitor' '-9999' 'PPM' '-' 'm.tmart.com the TDs works OK though. Read 41 ppm going in and 244ppm on runoff probably a bit high for a seedling but could be worse my tap water by itself reads twice as high.

:bump: I noticed my seedlings solo cup is pretty light now and dry below an inch of depth into the soil so it's time for a watering\light feeding but which one is the question. I don't know If my soil is still to hot. Also just realized my one cotyledon leaf has what appears to be a burn on the tip and they are both curling downwards really bad although they still have a healthy green color. True leaves look good aside from some slight twisting maybe from soil pH is my guess. Is it normal this far in to have a cotyledon do this at 2 weeks? Also I have foliage pro from Dyna gro should I give a very light feeding to this watering?

Update: I just used a very light feeding with Dyna gro foliage pro used 1\8th of a TSP per gallon in distilled water. Only thing is I was stupid and purchased a cheap digital pH meter that seems extremely inaccurate. It was reading 5.0 on distilled water after calibrating with buffer solutions it came with and I know that I false sense distilled water is neutral so I calibrated it back to the 7.0 reading it had when I first got it when in distilled water. It said then that my feed solution was around 6.5~ pH and runoff after watering was 7.2~ pH. I did add a bit of soil on top because I was about an inch low and my soil contains buffers in case pH meter Is way off. Any idea on a good ph meter? This one I have is a cheap one in this combo : Digital' 'PH' 'Meter' ''+'' 'TDS' 'Tester' 'Aquarium' 'Pool' 'Hydroponic' 'Water' 'Monitor' '-9999' 'PPM' '-' 'm.tmart.com the TDs works OK though. Read 41 ppm going in and 244ppm on runoff probably a bit high for a seedling but could be worse my tap water by itself reads twice as high.

Well my seedling took off growing more again today. It's now day 15 from sprout and now have 3 sets of well grown true leaves and a 4th starting. Now the nodes have really taken off and started stretching a bit but have grown and made great progress in 1 days time. So seem my pH may have been off and it seem to be loving the light feeding so far. Leaves still have a slight twisting don't know why. Any ideas on what could cause a slight twisting and almost curling? Still a very healthy color and no burned to discolored leaves yet.

Back
Top Bottom