Aphids immune to pesticide

Try Diatomaceous Earth with a makeup brush.
One of the easiest methods I cam across yesterday was to hose off the aphids. Then apply a circle of Diatomaceous Earth in a several inch circle on the ground right around the stem.

Since aphids are slow moving walkers it will take them awhile to get back to any of the plants. Walking across the Diatomaceous Earth will slice their very soft bodies up and kill them shortly afterward, probably before they get to tender plant tissue they can eat into.

If it is just a few plants washing them off sounds like the safest. easiest, quickest and cheapest way to get rid of them.

Ladybugs will stick around as long as there is food. If they leave, it means their job is done.
The time I tried Ladybugs for Spider Mites they started to leave overnight even though I followed the instructions on having water for them and within 3 days were gone. I find their little dead bodies in the various light fixtures so probably more in the walls and any spaces in the wall and ceiling joists. Even if they ate every Mite in the basement the eggs would start hatching and the problem comes back.

The time I tried Ladybugs for Spider Mites they started to leave overnight even though I followed the instructions on having water for them and within 3 days were gone. I find their little dead bodies in the various light fixtures so probably more in the walls and any spaces in the wall and ceiling joists. Even if they ate every Mite in the basement the eggs would start hatching and the problem comes back.
that's so time-consuming tho, my plants are really large...

listen guys, so i read Imidacloprid is similar to nicotine, so would using tobacco-infused water have the same effect?

i'd rather just use Imidacloprid if it's safe, doesn't seem to have long residual activity. and seems to be very effective.

rn i won't have to spray again. they're flowering. and the temperatures are gonna drop, so most pests are not gonna be an issue, only gotta watch out for caterpillars at this time of the year. but they usually don't do too much damage, so i usually let them be, or spray some mineral oil and that usually does the trick.

unless someone has a compelling argument to why Imidacloprid shouldn't be used on weed, i think its gonna be my go to for aphids, mites etc. (only in VEG)

i'd rather just use Imidacloprid if it's safe, doesn't seem to have long residual activity. and seems to be very effective.
unless someone has a compelling argument to why Imidacloprid shouldn't be used on weed, i think its gonna be my go to for aphids, mites etc. (only in VEG)
The Imidacloprid seems to be safer than some of the other chemicals available but there is some evidence that it can make people sick and there is no antidote. From what I remember reading it would have to be ingested or the spray inhaled in a larger than normal use amount. I did not see any mention of the possibility of there being problems if it was inhaled by smoking or ingested as in an edible so that is the big unknown.

Since it is known to kill bees and wild pollinators it is being banned in more and more places. The loss of all specie of pollinators and the increasing rate they are dying is getting serious for orchards and farmers. If a neighbor finds out about the use of Imidacloprid it might get them to pay more attention to what you are doing. Unwanted attention by neighbors is rarely good.

It might seem like more work but you could try tossing out seeds of various flowers that are members of the families of nicotine and nightshade plants next spring and let those plants repel aphids and several other plants. This might not get rid of all of them but it could reduce the problem to more manageable levels.

Back
Top Bottom