Aphids immune to pesticide

lilnug420

so i'm outdoors as usual, got a pretty bad aphid infection this year, i'm having serious issues killing them.

i sprayed with a heavy dose of deltamethrin twice in the span of 2 weeks, they're not phased, they're all live

sprayed twice with a heavy dose of mineral oil pesticide, which i've used for years and always works wonders, no luck this time!

what kind of potent pesticide is there i can use? (pls don't suggest natural BS like soaps and neem oil, they might work for indoors and light infestations, but if deltamethrin didn't do the trick, which has a very long residual activity, natural remedies certainly won't, i already tried soaps)

i got some other pesticides in my basement that work on aphids, will check the active ingredient on those., i'm seriously baffled they're still alive after such a potent pesticide as deltamethrin.

PS. i know y'all will talk about prevention and all, unfortunately, there is no such thing in my grow conditions, i'm unable to use preventative measures, i have to rely on pesticides.

For aphids outside, I just take each branch in my hand and blast it with hose water til they're all off, and keep repeating til all branches are aphid free. Blast the stem too, they hide everywhere, and be ready to do it every day for several days, they are born pregnant essentially, so if even one is left, they will boom in population again.
Keep an eye out for ants, they will bring aphids to a plant on purpose to 'graze' like we do with cows.

For aphids outside, I just take each branch in my hand and blast it with hose water til they're all off, and keep repeating til all branches are aphid free. Blast the stem too, they hide everywhere, and be ready to do it every day for several days, they are born pregnant essentially, so if even one is left, they will boom in population again.
Keep an eye out for ants, they will bring aphids to a plant on purpose to 'graze' like we do with cows.
Honestly i don't have time for that i work too much i barley have time to train and water. I'm looking for a spray and forget solution

Nicotine also works very well - just soak some tobacco or cigarette stubs until the water turns a yellow-brown
Nicotine? Why hasn't it been used more wildly if it's so effective, nicotine itself isn't really harmful to humans, no more than caffeine tbh

Hey Lilnug420!

We use pesticides too but relatively mild ones… however if your critters are still winning out then there’s something else going on.

Neem oil is derived from Neem seed meal,
Safers Soap is potassium salts of fatty acids
spinosad is an isolate from sugar cane production.
SNS uses rosemeric acid (derived from rosemary plant) and / or clove oil.
Oil dormant spray is made with a base of mineral oil and other products like Mammoth P use soybean oil

every pest treatment I use starts with well water and Dr Bronners Peppermint Hemp Soap and or Dawn dishwashing liquid. This conditions the water first and is used all over big agriculture as a wetting agent but they call it spreader / sticker. Yup makes your spray cling to the plants biomass

to eradicate pests you need to utilize both ipm foliar sprays and a soil drench ipm product. But here’s where the rubber hits the road… if your sprays aren’t working then you are probably doing it wrong...

Read all manufacturer’s labels…. mix your potion but use spreader sticker in your water first, either Dawn dishwashing liquid or Dr Bronners… that alone makes it a horticultural spray but we want even more killing power so we add the lethal stuff. Be sure to shake your soap & water mixture first to make the water foamy. Now add your chemicals and shake even more. Adjust your sprayer to the finest spray mist possible. Next is the most important part and the easiest way to remember is…. elevate your plant on a high table and always go up her skirt first. If outdoors then lay on the ground and spray up her skirt first…

ahh stupid italics won’t turn off anywho always spray leaf undersides first, this is where critterz hide and attach their eggs. Coat leaf undersides, stalks and stems too. remember to shake well and shake often as you spray. Finally after coating all of her undercarriage move up and spray the top side of leaves…

don’t forget regular intervals of soil drenches too. It’s not just a matter of drenching the soil but wetting the top of the soil and applying a preventative integrated pest management product at regular intervals on top of the previously wetted soil….

this is how we do preventive pest treatments… hit the ipm treatments hard in veg cycle, that way you are less likely to hit the wall in flower cycle. You can still spray in flower but more caution is required, Neem Oil can burn pistils or impart a bad taste to your crop… so choose your potion wisely

ditto Roy Growin on tobacco makes good additive for killing insects!!!!

best of luck….

I would not use malathion, it's an organophosphate and potentially carcinogenic, but a pyrethrin spray, IF, you're still in veg should be very effective. It's derived from the chyrsanthemum plant and degrades quickly in sunlight, it will probably take a couple applications spaced a few days apart. I'd recommend ladybugs, but outodoors they tend to feed and fly away, much more effective in a tent or greenhouse.

I would not use malathion, it's an organophosphate and potentially carcinogenic, but a pyrethrin spray, IF, you're still in veg should be very effective. It's derived from the chyrsanthemum plant and degrades quickly in sunlight, it will probably take a couple applications spaced a few days apart. I'd recommend ladybugs, but outodoors they tend to feed and fly away, much more effective in a tent or greenhouse.
Isn't pyrethrin dangerous? Thought I heard of it being banned in commercial crops for instance. If not, sorry.

If you're asking what chemical is guaranteed to rid the plant of them, Malathion or Pyrethrin
Would I put that on my plants? No
I would spend the hours washing them all off by hand to leave no doubt
Our sponsors have solutions too
Check out some of @Sierra Natural Science remedies. CL🍀

Nicotine? Why hasn't it been used more wildly if it's so effective, nicotine itself isn't really harmful to humans, no more than caffeine tbh
It used to be really popular as an insecticide but not so much these days. Nicotine is poisonous to humans if ingested. There were too many cases of people getting violently ill if they ate plant material that had been sprayed with nicotine so the use has dropped. Plus, while it is an organic compound it is not able to be used on crops that are to be labeled as organic.

Isn't pyrethrin dangerous? Thought I heard of it being banned in commercial crops for instance. If not, sorry.
Possibly you are thinking of something else with a similar sounding name.

Pyrethrin is a natural and organic pesticide made from some of various types of Chrysanthemum flowers. It is safe enough that it is sometimes used for head lice on children and adults or as a way to treat for ticks and fleas.

I looked it up and Pyrethrin is not banned that I could find.

ahh stupid italics won’t turn off anywho
OK to just test cause it will be easy to turn it off after formatting whatever you wanted.

Couple of things to try and with some practicing it takes about as long as to type one word.

One way is to put an extra space at the end of the text. Then block the text you want to format without including the extra space. Do the format and resume typing after the empty space.

Or, follow the diagram below. Put the cursor or insertion point at the end of whatever you formatted. Click on the three dots called "More options..." and then click on the icon that might be an eraser.

formatting.jpg

Back
Top Bottom