Aphids immune to pesticide

Possibly you are thinking of something else with a similar sounding name.

Pyrethrin is a natural and organic pesticide made from some of various types of Chrysanthemum flowers. It is safe enough that it is sometimes used for head lice on children and adults or as a way to treat for ticks and fleas.

I looked it up and Pyrethrin is not banned that I could find.
Shed was telling me that it’s banned, I was using Safers End All last year but in veg. But apparently it’s not good to smoke. CL🍀

Shed was telling me that it’s banned,
He must be thinking of some other insecticide. I changed the question a tad bit and looked up:
Is Pyrethrin insecticide banned

The top link that showed was:
Pyrethrin is not banned, but some forms of pyrethroids are. Pyrethroids are synthetic, man-made versions of pyrethrin that behave in similar manners to the natural pyrethrin that comes from chrysanthemum flowers.

Most likely he might have been thinking of the Pyrethroids and not Pyrethrin.

He must be thinking of some other insecticide. I changed the question a tad bit and looked up:
Is Pyrethrin insecticide banned

The top link that showed was:
Pyrethrin is not banned, but some forms of pyrethroids are. Pyrethroids are synthetic, man-made versions of pyrethrin that behave in similar manners to the natural pyrethrin that comes from chrysanthemum flowers.

Most likely he might have been thinking of the Pyrethroids and not Pyrethrin.
I was trying to tell him that it’s made from flowers and organic but he said that you can wash off tomatoes or whatever but you can’t remove it from your buds and that it’s not healthy to be smoking. Idk and the plant I used it for I messed up curing so it doesn’t really matter anymore. But I don’t know if I would ever use it again. CL🍀

I was trying to tell him that it’s made from flowers and organic but he said that you can wash off tomatoes or whatever but you can’t remove it from your buds and that it’s not healthy to be smoking. Idk and the plant I used it for I messed up curing so it doesn’t really matter anymore. But I don’t know if I would ever use it again.
The typical bud is pretty complex with lots of surfaces and many of them are covered up by other parts of the flower buds. This could give many areas where some of the spray is left even after a washing. Something else comes to mind is that the Pyrethrin might be safe to use on someone's hair and left on the scalp but it becomes a different story if the hidden insecticed is heated up to 400 or 500 degrees F and taken into the throat and lungs.

Sort of like using Neem Oil which many consider 100% acceptable while the plant is in a growing stage. But, once the flowers start to form they will find something else to use instead because they figure the Neem will give an off taste to the smoke.

Nicotine also works very well - just soak some tobacco or cigarette stubs until the water turns a yellow-brown
about nicotine, i found Imidacloprid in my garage, which supposedly is something like synthetic nicotine... it's expired but i'm gonna give it a go, at worse it won't work, imma try both spraying it on, and watering the soil with it as it seems that both methods of applications are effective.... anyone used this stuff in the past? seems safe on all edible fruit/vegetables

about nicotine, i found Imidacloprid in my garage, which supposedly is something like synthetic nicotine... it's expired but i'm gonna give it a go, at worse it won't work, imma try both spraying it on, and watering the soil with it as it seems that both methods of applications are effective.... anyone used this stuff in the past? seems safe on all edible fruit/vegetables
It is considered safe on many fruits and vegetables but it is banned in many European countries because it is considered a non-discriminating insect killer. It will kill bees and many other pollinators so I wonder whether it will kill the predator insects that are killing and eating some of the many pest insects.

It is considered safe on many fruits and vegetables but it is banned in many European countries because it is considered a non-discriminating insect killer. It will kill bees and many other pollinators so I wonder whether it will kill the predator insects that are killing and eating some of the many pest insects.
well there is no bees around here, only wasps and hornets, i'd be nice if it kills those too.

Isn't pyrethrin dangerous? Thought I heard of it being banned in commercial crops for instance. If not, sorry.

it was banned in canada until this year.

it's considered food safe as long as the produce is washed. it's thought to be toxic with heat, but i've not seen anything on it exclusively.

you'll need to do a bud wash at harvest at the minimum if you use it.

when any single pesticide is used back to back for a number of insect generations the bugs can become immune of them. This goes for the super heavy duty chemicals also.

Part of the issue regarding any treatment is that it has to be applied directly to the insect and all life stages. That being said hosing them off is probably just as effective. Small plants can be completely dunked.

Best offense here is a good defense with proper IPM. Mr. Bob Hemphill has a good process.

The difference between pyrethrum and Pyrethrin is that pyrethrin like ExciteR has a secondary ingredient piperonyl butoxide. Read a lot about this when battling root aphids.

it was banned in canada until this year.

it's considered food safe as long as the produce is washed. it's thought to be toxic with heat, but i've not seen anything on it exclusively.

you'll need to do a bud wash at harvest at the minimum if you use it.
i'm still in veg.... i do bud wash every time even when i don't use anything. if it can be applied by the roots by watering , then washing won't to much?

i'm still in veg.... i do bud wash every time even when i don't use anything. if it can be applied by the roots by watering , then washing won't to much?
When it is applied to roots, it is systemic - only insects that ingest the leaves are affected
2 small problems tho - firstly the insects will have to eat some of your plant before they die; secondly there will be traces in all of the sap and no safety data is given for smoking the residue

well there is no bees around here, only wasps and hornets, i'd be nice if it kills those too.
Bees are not the only pollinators out there. Many wasps and hornets are pollinators. And many butterflies and moths are also pollinating our food crops.

Killing them all and letting God sort them out is not working anymore. People have been killing off to many insects in an attempt to get rid of just one pest and it is making the pest insect situation worse.

Yes, if the chemical is poured onto the soil and the plant absorbs it then it will not wash off. It will not matter if the flowers are smoked or ingested the the chemical is there in the plant material and is going to be absorbed by the person. It would not surprise me if any Marijuana that ends up being tested in legal states before sale to the public is rejected if the plant was exposed to Imidacloprid.

Judging by some of the other responses I am thinking that they are also concerned with the use of high end chemicals to solve this aphid situation.

I'm all for killing them (aphids) just less in favour of introducing harmful insecticides into the environment. Those wasps are going to be smashing caterpillars when the time comes. I know I rely on them every year near harvest time.
I'm not here to judge any one and any technique. They all work.

Bees are not the only pollinators out there. Many wasps and hornets are pollinators. And many butterflies and moths are also pollinating our food crops.

Killing them all and letting God sort them out is not working anymore. People have been killing off to many insects in an attempt to get rid of just one pest and it is making the pest insect situation worse.

Yes, if the chemical is poured onto the soil and the plant absorbs it then it will not wash off. It will not matter if the flowers are smoked or ingested the the chemical is there in the plant material and is going to be absorbed by the person. It would not surprise me if any Marijuana that ends up being tested in legal states before sale to the public is rejected if the plant was exposed to Imidacloprid.

Judging by some of the other responses I am thinking that they are also concerned with the use of high end chemicals to solve this aphid situation.
If all the pollinators were extinct we would be next. Dying of starvation and war because of the starving populations. CL🍀

Back
Top Bottom