Aquaponics!

i am very interested in this system of growing and have been for years but all the research ive done leads me to big systems and i grow indoors only now and think ill be experimenting with a small 200litre tank hold fresh water eels as they are carnivores ive read that the waste water will have a higher P rating so good for flowering.. has any of you aquaponics gurus played with carnivorous fish?

i am very interested in this system of growing and have been for years but all the research ive done leads me to big systems and i grow indoors only now and think ill be experimenting with a small 200litre tank hold fresh water eels as they are carnivores ive read that the waste water will have a higher P rating so good for flowering.. has any of you aquaponics gurus played with carnivorous fish?

Well... the fish I have are omnivores, in that they eat whatever. Their main diet is a pellet, which is made from other fish. I can feed them left over greens, like lettuce, spinach, and probably herb too, but they don't get a lot of that. I should really be feeding them worms, black soldier fly larvae, etc, as well but I'm just being lazy.

All you need to do to increase P (and anything else your cannabis plants may need) is to set up dual root zone pots. For me, these have worked a treat. Huge plants, with a great yield (on my first attempt - and I've learned lots which will make next time even better).

The only problem with a small system like you mention is because of the small amount of water, etc in the system, it is prone to rapid pH swings which can kill your fish quite quickly. The larger the system, the more stable it is.

I would love to split my system between an outdoors grow and an indoors. So, have some grow beds inside, but the main fish tank is outside (where it is already set up).

i would assume that simply water with the substrate from the tank would also be beneficial to the plants but is it possible to run a passive hydro system with it?

Yeah, you could set up an auto drip system that draws from a tank. You would need an auto fill system too to keep the fish in water. Fish water is great. I plan to draw off and replace a little regularly, so there will be fish water soil drenches for plants.

I use my fish tank water to water my girls when growing.... I am a soil grower... Brilliant way to recycle the water again... Indeed some largs ponds utilise a planted area as part of the filtration process....

If the plants in aquarium grow off the fish waste, plenty of other plants can too...

As a long term fish keeper i would suggest that any system is matured first, not a fresh set up.... Too many fish, not enough bacteria = ammonia and nitrite spikes... This would surely be detrimental to the plants health... If you can get your system started with a " squeeze" from a mature filter you will be laughing.... Also no crappy filter start up chemicals needed then too...

Very interesting subject

:Namaste:

i would assume that simply water with the substrate from the tank would also be beneficial to the plants but is it possible to run a passive hydro system with it?

When you use a syphon gravel cleaner, that really gets the crud up... I use this sparingly, cut down with tank water so not too strong... Full of goodness... Dont use too much too often as it can whiff your grow space out... Plants seem to love it.... But wouldnt use it in advanced flowering tho.... just at vegging....

Back
Top Bottom