Are feminized seeds more prone to going hermie?

tallboy2023

I had a plant hermie on me and pollinate the other plant. Ended up with killer weed full of seeds. Huge bummer. Both were feminized seeds. The process of feminization basically entails forcing a female to hermie and then using its pollen to pollinate another female doesn't it? So wouldn't feminized seeds be more prone to hermie since it's kind of in their DNA? Am I totally off base here?

I had a plant hermie on me and pollinate the other plant. Ended up with killer weed full of seeds. Huge bummer. Both were feminized seeds. The process of feminization basically entails forcing a female to hermie and then using its pollen to pollinate another female doesn't it? So wouldn't feminized seeds be more prone to hermie since it's kind of in their DNA? Am I totally off base here?
Reversal spray is how they feminize seeds.. basically cuts the female hormone branch off when spaying to produce pollen.
Stressing flowering plants Hermie not the same imo

You say you had a plant hermie. So when it started showing sex, did it show both sexes? And you just let it go? Or did your female plant throw bananas after it started flowering due to some unknown stress?
Feminized seeds are from causing stress to females where they produce pollen.
Hermies are born with male and female parts. Big difference.

You say you had a plant hermie. So when it started showing sex, did it show both sexes? And you just let it go? Or did your female plant throw bananas after it started flowering due to some unknown stress?
Feminized seeds are from causing stress to females where they produce pollen.
Hermies are born with male and female parts. Big difference.
Well said

Female plants were kicking ass with beautiful flowers until I made a rookie mistake and did a heavy defoliation at day 42 of flower. I couldn't even tell there were seeds until I harvested. In hindsight, I noticed something something was a little off. Seemed like the bud growth slowed after that point. The weed is phenomenal, but loaded with seeds 😢 Here are some late flower pics.

IMG_1186.jpeg

IMG_1187.jpeg

IMG_1144.jpeg

IMG_1148.jpeg

IMG_1123.jpeg

IMG_1121.jpeg

I got the bullet in the chamber 😢 So the seeds from the one that appears to not have hermied, but did get fertilized are no different than any other feminized seeds? If that's the case, then I'll keep the seeds. Maybe I'll be like Johnny Appleseed and just spread them all over town

Ok. The buds are so sticky. It's hard to even get in and get the seeds out right now. I'm hoping once they dry out a little bit more. It'll be easier. It's so sad to see such high octane bud get wasted like that. Tough first time grow 😢 Learned a ton though 🙏🏼

Female plants were kicking ass with beautiful flowers until I made a rookie mistake and did a heavy defoliation at day 42 of flower.
Highly unlikely the plant is a hermaphrodite if taking off a bunch of leaves at 6 weeks caused it to start growing male flowers. If the leaf removal was a stress then another week or two for the plant to react puts it at 8 weeks. A true hermaphrodite would have started showing male parts much earlier than that time frame; most likely about 3 weeks after the stigma/pistils start to show the beginning of flowering.

Hope it's good, I have 1000's of seeds 😂
Now comes a fun project. Randomly pick and count out 100 of the seeds. Do the "wet paper towel" method to get them to germinate and count how many have started to sprout within 7 days. That will be the germination rate for that batch of seeds. Any seed that takes 7 days or longer to sprout will not count.

You could keep some of the better looking sprouts for the next grow if you want. The idea is to figure out if these seeds are viable and as mention the percentage.

Back
Top Bottom