Attacked by mystery insects I think?

Soyhitman

420 Member
Whats is happening here... i looked everywhere and i cant find any caterpillars anywhere

20231025_133027.jpg

20231025_133004.jpg

20231025_133009.jpg

20231025_133017.jpg

20231025_133053.jpg

20231025_133047.jpg

Is the problem just on the older leaves or on both old and new leaves?

Look for them on the new growth, not just the leaves that have already been eaten. Look at the stems, top to bottom. Look under and on top of the leaves. Look at the soil surface.

If it is a caterpillar or crawling insect doing this then most likely they will be somewhere on or near the plant. If it is flying insect then they could be on the plant but most likely anywhere nearby.

Still have not found them then wait till the lights have been off for an hour or more and then look with a flashlight.

When the problem insect is found the next step is to identify it. Then choose the right insecticide for that insect.

If a caterpillar most likely something with Bt in it will work. Most likely a product with Bti in it will not work on the caterpillars. Both Bt (Bacillus thuringiensis) and Bti (Bacillus thuringiensis subspecies israelensis) insecticides will be found in any decent grow, hydro or general gardening shop. Often the bottles or packages will look similar if not paying attention.

A crawling or flying insect will need to be identified to get the right stuff.

Look for them on the new growth, not just the leaves that have already been eaten. Look at the stems, top to bottom. Look under and on top of the leaves. Look at the soil surface.

If it is a caterpillar or crawling insect doing this then most likely they will be somewhere on or near the plant. If it is flying insect then they could be on the plant but most likely anywhere nearby.

Still have not found them then wait till the lights have been off for an hour or more and then look with a flashlight.

When the problem insect is found the next step is to identify it. Then choose the right insecticide for that insect.

If a caterpillar most likely something with Bt in it will work. Most likely a product with Bti in it will not work on the caterpillars. Both Bt (Bacillus thuringiensis) and Bti (Bacillus thuringiensis subspecies israelensis) insecticides will be found in any decent grow, hydro or general gardening shop. Often the bottles or packages will look similar if not paying attention.

So far only in older vegetation but i just seen some new damage on different plants... i sprayed take down spray monteray and some caterpillar spray today...

I seen it on some of the vegetation new vegetation and a different plants so today I sprayed some take down spray from Monterey and some caterpillar spray hopefully I get them taken care of because I looked everywhere top bottom coco everything...

seen it on some of the vegetation new vegetation and a different plants so today I sprayed some take down spray from Monterey and some caterpillar spray hopefully I get them taken care of because I looked everywhere top bottom coco everything...
You have not identified what is causing the problem yet?

I mentioned to check an hour after the lights have gone out. If you cannot see anything with the lights on then checking after the lights have been off for an hour or more is a good idea. Not all insects are active during the day.

Places to check that are often overlooked include the ceiling, the corners of the wall, where the wall meets the floor. These are great spots for flying insects to be hiding during the day.

Lift up the pots and look. If the plant is in a saucer look under the saucer. Look in the drain holes. Insects might be hiding in there during the day or when lights are on.

There are some pest insects that can make holes in the stem and will be there during the day or when the lights are on. Then they come out at night or when the lights are off.

You have not identified what is causing the problem yet?

I mentioned to check an hour after the lights have gone out. If you cannot see anything with the lights on then checking after the lights have been off for an hour or more is a good idea. Not all insects are active during the day.

Places to check that are often overlooked include the ceiling, the corners of the wall, where the wall meets the floor. These are great spots for flying insects to be hiding during the day.

Lift up the pots and look. If the plant is in a saucer look under the saucer. Look in the drain holes. Insects might be hiding in there during the day or when lights are on.

There are some pest insects that can make holes in the stem and will be there during the day or when the lights are on. Then they come out at night or when the lights are off.
I'm going to look tomorrow and see with the lights off then I will get back to you

There is one thing I should have asked. I keep looking at the photos and can't tell if you are growing inside or outdoors. Since I was mentioning walls and turning off lights and you did not mention outdoor growing I have to figure you are growing inside.

If you were growing outside then the damage looks like what slugs would do. Slugs never are out in the daytime or bright light, only in the dark. And to find them in the day you have to look under anything that is damp which is why a good place to check is under the pot and under the saucer. They avoid anything dry if at all possible and will not hide under anything that has a dry surface that can touch their skin.

There is one thing I should have asked. I keep looking at the photos and can't tell if you are growing inside or outdoors. Since I was mentioning walls and turning off lights and you did not mention outdoor growing I have to figure you are growing inside.

If you were growing outside then the damage looks like what slugs would do. Slugs never are out in the daytime or bright light, only in the dark. And to find them in the day you have to look under anything that is damp which is why a good place to check is under the pot and under the saucer. They avoid anything dry if at all possible and will not hide under anything that has a dry surface that can touch their skin.
A saucer of beer will sort the slugs out if that's what it is .

Back
Top Bottom