Automaria II (First Grow)

What have you learned from this trainwreck of a grow?

a) Inform yourself and be prepared BEFORE cracking beans.
b) Don't listen to crazy advice from people on the internet. (You purchased tons of useless shit)
c) Yield on autos is directly related to the vegetative phase.

My personnal suggestion: Put aside ALL that crap they made you buy. Get some regular ass pro-mix, fish emulsion and seaweed juice (5-1-1+0-4-4 ish) if organic. Get some home depot etc. soluble 20-8-20 for veg and 15-30-15 for flo if you don't care about chem fertilizers. Osmocote is dumb, you can't control it's dosage nor get rid of it.

edit: Oh yeah you got some foxfarm soil. Overpriced because weed grower noobs love suggesting it.

Thats just it, it was my FIRST grow, and I've learned allot. The reason it became a trainwreck is because I was selfmedicated when I saw the taproot on one rockwool cube and began the downward spiral from there.

I agree, I should have done more research for soil grows before I got into it, but I was to excited, live and learn.

Cant agree with the "useless shit," so far I've used everything, besides the meters. The PPM meter is inacurate, and the PH meter is "eh."

The reason I went with autos was not for yield, I have a full time job which pays my bills, this is a hobby, I was simply looking for a quick turn around for some self meds, and yes I did muck up the veg phase with all the screwing around in the beginning, again, live and learn!

Thanks for the input on the soil, might have helped awhile ago, but Im pretty pleased with the FFOF blend I got going on, and I plan to use it up till its gone. I did shop around eeeeverywhere for decent potting soils. Just wish someone sold FF local, and didnt have to order it =/ W/e got enough for the next 3 grows haha.

Not sure if youve read anything about OC+ but from the journals & success people have had with it, I may even use it for my next grow with the freebies left over. Yes, you cant get rid of it, but it feeds them for 6mo. so theres no big need cept for harvest time, and I'd probably have to order a flushing agent. Still undecided.

Thanks for your input though :peace::goodluck:

What have you learned from this trainwreck of a grow?

a) Inform yourself and be prepared BEFORE cracking beans.
b) Don't listen to crazy advice from people on the internet. (You purchased tons of useless shit)
c) Yield on autos is directly related to the vegetative phase.

My personnal suggestion: Put aside ALL that crap they made you buy. Get some regular ass pro-mix, fish emulsion and seaweed juice (5-1-1+0-4-4 ish) if organic. Get some home depot etc. soluble 20-8-20 for veg and 15-30-15 for flo if you don't care about chem fertilizers. Osmocote is dumb, you can't control it's dosage nor get rid of it.

edit: Oh yeah you got some foxfarm soil. Overpriced because weed grower noobs love suggesting it.

Where were you when he needed help? Nice after the fact advice. I only suggest what I use thank you.

jdub - Im sure you learned a good amount with this grow and should prepare you well for your next, good luck!

Each grow is an experience in itself. Keep on reading and posting ur grows so the folks here at 420 could help. They have been a great assistance to me. As one new grower to another... Don't be discouraged!
I have never personally used FF soil and OC+ but the growers I have modeled my growing style after do. I use a mix my hydro store makes that is really good and I top dressed with an OC+ equivalent.
U can grow amazing plants wit jus d FFOF and OC+. check out some of Doc Buds grows!
Keep tokin.

Ricksterrrrr. Glad to see your return my friend :Namaste: Thanks for the help.

Just think maybe I SHOULDNT of gone Auto for my first grow kind of now. Didn't give me the full light schedule experience. I know shes and auto, but for the helluv it I changed her to 12/12 last watering (not today's). Kind of for SnG, to see any changes.

Hey Farma, thanks for the input! Still not 100% sure if ill go OC+ or not this next grow, as I don't have any basic supplements as Bio does. I need to finish reading some of Docs journals as you both have recomended.

No big updates though, little bit of nute burn trying to bring the nutes to full strength, just about 1/16th of the tips. Backed down to 1 TSP per half gal today. Next plan is to pick up a "Carson MM-200" microscope. Its LED lit and has a 60-100x zoom at under $20, figured it'd be neat to get familiar with the trichs. Hoping she isn't milky yet, as less than half her hairs are orange..

Yeah reading through Doc's thread about OC+ could clear up any thoughts or doubts. From what I gathered he used snowstorm ultra( optional), hygrozyme( optional) and a zinc/iron supplement as he did identify some yellow on some of the growth INDICAtive of a zinc/iron defic.
I was a much more informed and purposeful grower after I read all his journals.

Ya, Bio suggested the Snowstorm, and I have H202 as a hygrozyme supplement. Just sucks around here cause there are NO hydro stores, literally. So that SS may be another special order, as well as that supplement.

Id also like to look into the high grade corn syrup as also discussed with Bio, to supplement the molasses. Any thoughts ppl? I wonder if I use it in the next watering or so, if it'd do anything to Sophie..

Just got a couple freebies left over, Purple Haze and Gigabud, but I need to do more research as to see when to switch them into flowering (18/6 -> 12/12), but I have a much better grasp already from everyones help!

Ricksterrrrr. Glad to see your return my friend :Namaste: Thanks for the help.

Just think maybe I SHOULDNT of gone Auto for my first grow kind of now. Didn't give me the full light schedule experience. I know shes and auto, but for the helluv it I changed her to 12/12 last watering (not today's). Kind of for SnG, to see any changes.

Thanks I thought I didnt have fans/followers :smokin:. I agree that you shouldnt have gone auto your first time out because it makes your veg phase very important, needlessly imho.

Hey Farma, thanks for the input! Still not 100% sure if ill go OC+ or not this next grow, as I don't have any basic supplements as Bio does. I need to finish reading some of Docs journals as you both have recomended.

I would suggest making your next grow as simple as possible. I think you should hold off on the OC. Personally I dont use any time release stuff and I leave that to the experts. Stick with one brand of nutes (use their recommended dosage gradually increasing till your at full dosage) and the FF soil and Im sure you will have results.

The experts are chemists basically, just play mother nature your first few times, thats all I still do after 5 grows. I focus on watering them properly, not overfeeding, and proper light and atmospheric conditions, oh and PH. All that other stuff is meant to enhance. Just get them suckas growing first :)

I just havent had much time lately to get on and post, but I still follow your grow.

As for the next grow, I may try just that. Just hope that I wont make another runt =/ Not even 100% sure why it happened, as the Solo cup was FULL of roots, just like your pic!

But I didnt presoak the soil in the Smart Pot with superthrive, forgot. Again, live and learn, and this has been one helluva learning experience, just need to get this damn microscope so I can see if shes ready for the hack, going on two months..

I just havent had much time lately to get on and post, but I still follow your grow.

As for the next grow, I may try just that. Just hope that I wont make another runt =/ Not even 100% sure why it happened, as the Solo cup was FULL of roots, just like your pic!

But I didnt presoak the soil in the Smart Pot with superthrive, forgot. Again, live and learn, and this has been one helluva learning experience, just need to get this damn microscope so I can see if shes ready for the hack, going on two months..

I think overwatering is what caused your baby to stay small tho I am not positive. Also having an auto makes things very hazy to me cause Im not experienced with them.

Could be, but when I did the overwatering she was still very young, so I figured she'd get past it. Still should have presoaked my FFOF with super thrive =/

Im so anxious for my next grow!! I want to just chop Soph, but I still havent gotten my microscope to check the trichs, though shes FULL of them. Her hairs arent really turning more orange though, kind of a 50/50 ratio, and shes still taking less than the full amount of nutes, though could be due to the runtness.

Could be, but when I did the overwatering she was still very young, so I figured she'd get past it. Still should have presoaked my FFOF with super thrive =/

Bro I wouldnt pre soak new soil with SuperThrive. That stuff is dangerously potent. I only use it when transplanting or some other stressful event like if they wilted or something or in very very small doses after transplanting in between nutes. Use it like the watering before you transplant for a smooth transition.

The thing about autos, over watering stunts growth because it makes for a weak root system. During the time when your auto should of been growing its little butt off it was just barely surviving. Im not positive but Im pretty sure maturity/time is the crucial component for autos and if you dont provide a strong veg cycle youre just not going to have enough plant to produce anything. I could be wrong though, Im not interested in autos enough to get learnt.

Thats what I meant, when I transplanted to the smart pot from the solo cup I didnt presoak with the SuperThrive. But when I did crack open the cup, her root structure looked just like the one in your journal!

Shes NOT getting any height, she IS a runt, but she is bushy as all hell, and stinks up my whole room! Still dont have a microscope, but Im afraid to chop her and mess anything up.. =/

Thats what I meant, when I transplanted to the smart pot from the solo cup I didnt presoak with the SuperThrive. But when I did crack open the cup, her root structure looked just like the one in your journal!

Shes NOT getting any height, she IS a runt, but she is bushy as all hell, and stinks up my whole room! Still dont have a microscope, but Im afraid to chop her and mess anything up.. =/

Bro I could tell you had a good root structure from your last photo. Btw can we get some more please.

Its good that you were able to get through to the home stretch of flowering. Most folks just abandon their first grow lol. Way to stick it out and sht you will at least get to taste the fruits of your labor. Im sure the experience has made your next grow a success already and if you hadnt stuck with it you most likely would have been less prepared for grow 2.0

Plants in flowering do not typicaly grow in height after a few weeks. For autos I would imagine when they start producing pistils you could expect them to be twice the size when they stop growing. Im basing my opinion on my knowledge of regular plants btw. During flowering plants shift from rapidly growing stalks and leaves to producing resin and buds etc.

Btw - you just need a jewelers loupe to determine when to pluck em. google search!

Heres a few:

Top49.jpg

You can see the lil bit of burn, when I tried to bump her up to 1TSP per half gal two waters ago..

Side_Far.jpg

Just to get an idea..

Side_Close.jpg

Starting to lean over, so I turned her the other way towards the fan, shes FULL of triches and red hairs, but without the loupe I cant tell =(

I really wanna go out and get the Carson MM-200, but no one local sells it, but the Carson MM-100 is at radio shack for $15, but its an incadescent light & tripple A batteries..

Any thoughts on chopping? Watering tomorrow morning.. 1 TSP per half gal seems to work now.

If I was a ken doll Id say she looks healthy as can be :clap: Looking forward to your next grow man!

If I was a ken doll Id say she looks healthy as can be :clap: Looking forward to your next grow man!

TY sir. As soon as I chop her Im ready to start with 2 seeds, purp has and giga bud. Thinking of doing the paper towel method and as soon as I see a 1/4" tap, Ill put them into a Solo cup of FFOF..

Any thoughts on ripeness, without the loupe Im kind of unsure...hoping to get one THIS weekend.

Got the Carson MM-100 today. Checked Sophies trichs. Along the edges of the leaves, the trichs are orange, but across the main spread of the leaves, theyre still crystal clear... Not even any real "milky" ones.

Also her smell changed 110% used to be a real skunky smell, now its more fresh fruit pungent..

All Sophies hairs have gone orange, so Im thinking maybe one last watering with NOTHING, (maybe high fructose corn syrup???) and chopping her...

Her trichs still arent really that milky, but shes down to a 3 day watering schedule, and like I said, shes all orange.

Any input welcome, this will be my first cut (of many to come)!

TY all :)

First runs done.

Chopped2.jpg

Little cutting

Trimmed5.jpg

Drying

Drying7.jpg

Curing

Ready_to_Cure.jpg

Wet cut, POST trim was 28 grams dead on, and after the first dry was 8.0.

Been a biiiig learning experience. Gotta put the next run on hold as Ill be gone for a few weeks in December and will be unable to properly maintain the girls.

Hopefully the next grow will be up right after the new years. Thanks for all the help & support everyone here :thanks::Namaste:

Looking to have a small trial smoke report by the end of the week.

Back
Top Bottom