Bud rot Super Lemon Haze?

jokerlola

I’ve got a hermie seed Super Lemon Haze growing outside in a 2 gallon pot and I’m noticing what looks like bud rot or dying of the bud in a couple of colas. Should I cut those off? First time ever dealing with it. I’m in Colorado so not a humid place. I’ve tried to protect from rain but it has got a little rain here or there but I always dried it right away with a fan or the sun.

8E9058D6-9027-4FCB-BF2E-AB5013CD612E.jpeg

02D27580-BD27-4C98-B0C2-19F9356E14AB.jpeg

B4632A8C-8F8D-4288-94FC-C3F85AF0B1AD.jpeg

8D09BAC4-18B8-48ED-A0B8-D6B65D93C675.jpeg

Sad to say, yes you have rot... cut those off asap. Humidity is only one pathway to rot/mold. Insect and/or storm damage can create an opening as well. I would sprinkle some cinnamon or maybe spray a bit of peroxide after cutting to make sure any remaining spores are eradicated.

Sad to say, yes you have rot... cut those off asap. Humidity is only one pathway to rot/mold. Insect and/or storm damage can create an opening as well. I would sprinkle some cinnamon or maybe spray a bit of peroxide after cutting to make sure any remaining spores are eradicated.
Plant did fall off an outdoor table I had it on last week due to wind and it laid in the dirt for a few hours. Other than that, no other storm damage. I’ve been pretty good about minimizing moisture and get the water off asap. Could be insects.

Bud rot happens, the spores are everywhere, floating in the air. They’re all over the plant, just takes the right conditions for them to get a foothold. Sure looks like bud rot to me. @Sueet nailed the best thing you can do.
I guess I’ve been lucky then. First case of it in 6 years of growing. And in my first couple of grows I didn’t even protect from rain or moisture, even letting the sprinkler system spray them at night when I watered the lawn. Can some strains be more prone to it? I’ve grown SLH 3 times before and never had it but I’ve noticed the buds are always so airy on this strain.

This is a generality only, but yes, some strains are less prone to it. Sativa's, tend to be less prone to it because they have more airy buds. Indica’s with denser buds tend to be more prone to it. You can google “rot resistant strains” and find out which are the best at resisting rot. All that said, any plant can get bud rot if the conditions are right.

I guess I’ve been lucky then. First case of it in 6 years of growing. And in my first couple of grows I didn’t even protect from rain or moisture,...
I know the feeling. First couple of years no problem. Then the last 3 summers have been miserable enough that I actually prefer to grow my recreational herb inside. The only reason I have a few outside is because of free sunlight and because it is fun.

This year it has been unusually dry in this corner of the state with less than half of the usual accumulation both in snow and rain. The last 10 weeks have been miserable for outdoor gardeners no matter what they are growing.

So is dryness the problem? I have 9 plants outside in pots/buckets and fabric pots. Only the one Super Lemon Haze in a small #2 pot has the bud rot on it and it’s buds are the airiest of all my plants. I have a 00 Kush plant that was supposed to be an auto seed but it’s grown as a photo and the colas are huge and dense and there is no rot. My other plants buds are also dense but not rot on those either. We have had a few bouts of unforcasted rain and morning mist but once the plants got wet I either brought them in and put a box fan on them or the sun dried off the morning mist moisture.

So is dryness the problem?
No. I was saying that even though it has been so very dry in this area I am still seeing a lot of Powdery Mildews on all kinds of plants and on my couple of patio Cannabis plants. Low humidity or lower amounts of water help to reduce the amounts of Mildew and possibly bud rot that we will see on the leaves but the Mildew and Bud Rot stuff is always there in the air.

The best protection against Mildews and Molds that I have found is to start to spray long before I actually see the stuff on the plants. If I usually see Mildew on my outdoor plants in late July then I would be spraying by the middle or before the end of June at the latest. If I wait until I see some mildew on any of the fan or sugar leaves then the stuff has a 4 week head start (;)) on me.

Since the buds or flowers grow with so many small leaves compacted into a small space it seems like it would be close to impossible to actually dry any rain or dew off fast enough that the mildew will not get a start. What I do is spray with a Citric Acid & water mix and spray till the buds are soaking wet. Then I let the Citric Acid kill off most or all of the existing spores and while it is drying it is also creating a hostile environment on the surfaces that reduces the possibility of new spores being able to start in the flower area. I am doing the spray at least once a week.

Besides bud rot, what else can cause part of a cola to die? I have not removed the dead parts of the 2 colas affected and it doesn't seem to be spreading at all. We even had some unexpected light rain the other night and heavy mist in the morning so the plant got plenty wet and still it doesn't seem to be spreading beyond what has already died. I think pest infestation was mentioned but I see no evidence of pests on the leaves and I see no bugs when I scope it.

Back
Top Bottom