Bud tops turning amber at 4 weeks

Newcannabislover

This is my first grow and it’s doing beautifully, but I’m a little concerned about a couple things.
First, the pistils on some of my buds are turning amber during week 4. Is this a problem?
Second, I’m being told to push the nutes
Until the plants show signs of nute burn. This seems like it would stress them and why would I want to do that?

1581812447585.jpeg

By ‘buds turning amber’ do you mean the resin glands changing colour, or some other part?

Your feed level looks good from what I can see. You don’t need to push the nutrients till the tips burn. Burning the tips is one way to see where a good maximum threshold is, then back off a little. But plants don’t need to be run at the maximum feed level and if it’s not broke maybe no need to fix it.

I apologize - pic not so l good. It’s not tricomes, but hairs at top of bud. Thanks for confirming my feeling about nutes

Attachments

• B2DFB550-C0B1-471F-97ED-386F0F4E9A2C.jpeg
    B2DFB550-C0B1-471F-97ED-386F0F4E9A2C.jpeg
    921.9 KB · Views: 54
  • 0AD0125E-DE4E-4CBF-8B8A-21164CEB4E64.jpeg
    0AD0125E-DE4E-4CBF-8B8A-21164CEB4E64.jpeg
    824.4 KB · Views: 50
DSCF7952.JPG
This is a picture of one of my current buds, roughly about 8 days from harvest. Note that most, but not all of my pistils have already turned color. I am however, watching the very top of the bud, specifically the calyxes that are forming up there, for the trichomes attached to those structures at the very top to start turning amber. You can't go by the pistils, and each variety that you grow will change colors at slightly different times. I don't even consider pulling a harvest however, as long as there are still white pistils at the very top... unless of course that variety is known to mature with lightly colored pistils.

Pistils are fairly delicate sticky fronds designed to catch pollen on the wind. A red pistil usually just means a dead pistil. A percentage of dying ones is an ongoing thing through flowering. Also caused by handling, direct water spray or rain, or too much wind, etc.

Back
Top Bottom