Bud Washing

First two harvested from bloom room tonight, day sixty of bloom, growing since 4/27. Could have went a few days longer, but trics are closing fast.

So

Little chop, clip, and a pre wash weigh in...

THC Bomb LOS

20150825_225512.jpg

Critical Sensi Star LOS

20150825_231550.jpg

Late night.....

Sorry, here they are before they met my scissors, so rude I am.

I swear, LED's suck. :cheer:

20150825_214937.jpg

20150825_214928.jpg

hey there everyone.
i just stumbled across this thread. looks like a great idea. i think ill give it a shot.
i have some questions
1) do you guys think theres any plus in doing this, to buds that were organically grown, in an indoor inviorment, and never had anything sprayed on them?
2)i already cut and trimmed my plant, 24hrs ago.
so A),is it too late to do this wash to plants were cut 24 hrs ago?
B)theres a lot of popcorn buds and pieces that arent easy to swish around without losing them. so can i just put them all in a big sifter basket, and dunk that in the water, then swish them all around that way. then the biggest issue would be drying them. how could i dry a bunch of wet buds, that cant be hung since they dont have stems? i dont wanna start trying to hang tons of single small buds (since i trimmed them all already). any ideas?

@Happyjoy - The best way to know is to wash some and also don't wash some, dry and cure both and do some smoke testing. Bear in mind that the unwashed nugs may have insect carcasses in them, but I'm quite sure we've all smoked dead insects in street bud. I don't want to touch the question of washing buds that've been on the line for a day already b/c I either wash within an hour or two after chop, but another grower a few pages back said he washed already dried and cured bud, but I haven't personally tested this so don't want to speculate the results. For future grows though, try to leave the popcorns on the stem for washing convenience, but if you did remove them, you could probably wash them in a colander and dry them the same way you'd dry popcorns, just make sure the little nuglets are not sitting in little water pools.

@Happyjoy - The best way to know is to wash some and also don't wash some, dry and cure both and do some smoke testing. Bear in mind that the unwashed nugs may have insect carcasses in them, but I'm quite sure we've all smoked dead insects in street bud. I don't want to touch the question of washing buds that've been on the line for a day already b/c I either wash within an hour or two after chop, but another grower a few pages back said he washed already dried and cured bud, but I haven't personally tested this so don't want to speculate the results. For future grows though, try to leave the popcorns on the stem for washing convenience, but if you did remove them, you could probably wash them in a colander and dry them the same way you'd dry popcorns, just make sure the little nuglets are not sitting in little water pools.

now that u mention bugs, i had tons of problems with fungus gnats on and off, the whole grow. till i finally got some mosquito bits. even then, they suddenly come up in very small amounts. so there could be dead little flies in my buds....??
i would probly see them with my scope..

hey there everyone.
i just stumbled across this thread. looks like a great idea. i think ill give it a shot.
i have some questions
1) do you guys think theres any plus in doing this, to buds that were organically grown, in an indoor inviorment, and never had anything sprayed on them?
2)i already cut and trimmed my plant, 24hrs ago.
so A),is it too late to do this wash to plants were cut 24 hrs ago?
B)theres a lot of popcorn buds and pieces that arent easy to swish around without losing them. so can i just put them all in a big sifter basket, and dunk that in the water, then swish them all around that way. then the biggest issue would be drying them. how could i dry a bunch of wet buds, that cant be hung since they dont have stems? i dont wanna start trying to hang tons of single small buds (since i trimmed them all already). any ideas?

HappyJoy, even when your environmental is completely sealed off and filtered, i would wash my produce. Doc does and he has a very clean environment. pages back, a friend was smoking Levi-Strauss strain :rofl:...his buds had lint from the clothes dryer in his basement.
theres dust, hair, fuzz, skin, dander, mites, etc.

The stuff that is in the wash water is what many will inhale and consume.. its gross..and i grow inside, using Docs kit..:)

try a branch of washed and unwashed...dried and cured..experience the difference :)

HappyJoy, even when your environmental is completely sealed off and filtered, i would wash my produce. Doc does and he has a very clean environment. pages back, a friend was smoking Levi-Strauss strain :rofl:...his buds had lint from the clothes dryer in his basement.
theres dust, hair, fuzz, skin, dander, mites, etc.

The stuff that is in the wash water is what many will inhale and consume.. its gross..and i grow inside, using Docs kit..:)

try a branch of washed and unwashed...dried and cured..experience the difference :)

yeah, i noticed on one big bud which was directly opposite a circulation vent fan in the room, that it had a solid coat of dust stuck to the whole side of the bud that was directly in front of the fan. and i have a screen over my air intake to block out dust. i cant imagine what it would be like if i didnt have that screen.

one thing though which i dont think ill be able to do.
i noticed that bud doc wrote he uses h202 in his first bucket at a ratio of 1/5 i think if im not mistaken (someone correct if i got that wrong). well here it costs about 3$ for a bottle of 100ml. i would need to spend alot of money to buy enough for to make 1/5 ration to a 5 gal bucket....

well i guess ill try (without the h202) and keep y'all posted:thumb:

Yeah, consider that trichomes are designed to make things (pollen) stick to them so any particulate matter in the air will surely find it's way into the nugs. This is not to say that the wash can dislodge all of that crap, it is none the less a step in the right direction!

Your smoke comparisons will prove the results to you, the same as it has for all of us!

yeah, i noticed on one big bud which was directly opposite a circulation vent fan in the room, that it had a solid coat of dust stuck to the whole side of the bud that was directly in front of the fan. and i have a screen over my air intake to block out dust. i cant imagine what it would be like if i didnt have that screen.

one thing though which i dont think ill be able to do.
i noticed that bud doc wrote he uses h202 in his first bucket at a ratio of 1/5 i think if im not mistaken (someone correct if i got that wrong). well here it costs about 3$ for a bottle of 100ml. i would need to spend alot of money to buy enough for to make 1/5 ration to a 5 gal bucket....

well i guess ill try (without the h202) and keep y'all posted:thumb:

Doc uses H2O2 when PM is present...not needed if not present.

ok. so i just went out and bought some lemon juice.
the bottle says:
PURE LEMON JUICE (99.98)
ANTIOXIDANT E224 (0.02)
do you guys think that stuff is safe to wash the buds with in the first wash bucket?

also another question. is this wash still suggested for someone who doesnt have RO water like doc uses?
ive got a really good 5 step carbon filter on my drinking water. but my regular tap water does not. the water that runs in our taps here, is origonally from underground natural springs. however it obviously goes through some proccessing, and has a slight taste of chlorine. (not nearly as strong though as in the city).
so would it be best to just use my carbon filtered water for the whole procces? or is it ok to even use the tap water?

Yes to your lemon juice.
use the tap water, the chlorine in your tap won't hurt the wash, may actually assist in killing anything microbial sized. :)

remember the buds are waterproof. it does rain on cannabis in the wild, sometimes monsoons, hurricanes, etc.. just say'n

i hope no one brings up the "the case of the missing trichs" again. i haven't missed any..i have them still a plenty :rofl: on my buds even after I wash and spin(I use a salad spinner on the smaller buds to remove excess water- works awesome!!) and dry and jar and cure...

Im a Doc Bud HB Kit user and Im a Weed Snob.

:)

Any lab results?

Seems like the bud washing practice has been going on for a while now. Are there any lab results to confirm/deny the best washing practices? How do the trichomes hold up compared to the unwashed? I'd like to see more pictures.
I haven't tried it, this is my first grow and I don't want to screw it up. It sounds like something I would like to do, but so counter intuitive for a studying newbie. as heat and light are the enemy of our buds we are told. The idea of dunking them in hot water, as I've read in some instructions, is confusing. At the same time I totally understand the need for washing if you want to eat it. Even a "clean" environment can be deceiving.
Also, I remember that some of my growing friends a long time ago where experimenting with misting their buds in order to have a different cure on them. Has washing the buds evolved from this practice? apparently adding water to the curing process has been around for a long time and some swear by the smooth results.

Yes to your lemon juice.
use the tap water, the chlorine in your tap won't hurt the wash, may actually assist in killing anything microbial sized. :)

remember the buds are waterproof. it does rain on cannabis in the wild, sometimes monsoons, hurricanes, etc.. just say'n

i hope no one brings up the "the case of the missing trichs" again. i haven't missed any..i have them still a plenty :rofl: on my buds even after I wash and spin(I use a salad spinner on the smaller buds to remove excess water- works awesome!!) and dry and jar and cure...

Im a Doc Bud HB Kit user and Im a Weed Snob.

:)

thnks. wow so a salad dryer sounds like a great idea for the popcorn buds. i would imagine though that the aggresiveness of the spinning might wash out some triches, but it sounds like its fine for u.

1)what average heat should the heated water be on?
2)does washing make the curing proccess shorter since the smoke becomes smoother quicker?
3)does washing make the initial drying procces longer than unwashed buds?

also where can i get a link to this famous grow system of docs? i wanna check it out.

thnks

thnks. wow so a salad dryer sounds like a great idea for the popcorn buds. i would imagine though that the aggresiveness of the spinning might wash out some triches, but it sounds like its fine for u.

1)what average heat should the heated water be on?
2)does washing make the curing proccess shorter since the smoke becomes smoother quicker?
3)does washing make the initial drying procces longer than unwashed buds?

also where can i get a link to this famous grow system of docs? i wanna check it out.

thnks

1) warm about 75-85 We are not blanching steaming or cooking(yet:)) the herb
2) the curing process depends on the grow, humidity, time, and how it was initially dried imo
3) some claim, including me, that washing speeds up drying.

Re: Any lab results?

...do NOT use HOT water...or for that matter, do NOT use very COLD water either. A few people have "experimented" with hot water, but it is not a good way to wash your buds.

I washed my buds for the first time my last grow and it works as well as everyone who has been doing it for awhile say it does. You won't have any problems with lost trichs, and clean buds smoke so clean and cough free. I used the 3 bucket wash with lemon juice and baking soda in the first and plain water in the other 2 buckets. Dunk your buds and move them around somewhat vigorously in each bucket, drain and hang. Easy, peasy and you'll never go back to not washing them...:thumb:

Pomass, i use a 4 bucket wash.
4 x 5gal food grade buckets. The orange ones from depoe is food grade
1st and last are plain water. I use slightly warm in 1st. Cool -cold water in 4th
2nd bucket gets 1 cup lemon juice. Bottled is great. Filled to 2" from top with warm 75+ degrees F
3rd bucket gets 1 cup baking Soda. Aka as sodium bicarbonate dissolved in slightly cooler temp as lemon juice bucket.
Dunk cut and initial trimmed branches for 15 times up and down. Let drain slightly before proceeding to next.
Place hanging to drip over sink or wherever you won't get yelled at. :rofl:
Dry according to your choice.

Back
Top Bottom