Bug identification

politoed

hey gang, can anyone tell me what this bug is? its medium fast moving, seems to stay around soil level.

sorry for the bad quality but its tiny and my phone can only zoom so much.

my detective work is leaning towards hoping its phytoseiulus persimilis or ablyseius cucumeris, but im really not sure!
IMG_3508.JPG

thanks for the help, im very inexperienced with the bugs. i recently took in 3 clones and inspected them and quarantined them but this is in my main veg tent now. i did list those two because after looking, the only thing i could come up with was those 2 beneficials or possibly aphids, but it seems like the wrong shape for an aphid. so far no damage to the plants but there is plenty of mulched old leaves for them to munch at soil level so not sure if thats why.

Long story but short version goes…

me = new gardener, 2020 was great Fungus Gnat & Spider Mite orgy in my tent. Killed them all (or so I thought) but they came back with vengeance. Killed ‘em again but they came back…time. after. time.

fairly confident that I over-spayed Spinosad (too many times without swapping to another chemical family) and they became immune.

it started out as fungus gnats & spider mites but ended up as tiny white soil mites… threw the soil out and started over plus ordered beneficial hypoaspis miles. Turns out they are tiny white soil dwelling mites…

so I prolly threw out my soil because of hypoaspis miles soil mites only to do a crapton more work and $$. only to order more hypoaspis miles from Good Bug Guys.

i only just noticed the bug in one 3 gal fab pot. this particular plant is about 2 weeks old and only has 3 sets of nodes but is doing great. im thinking since i got the clones from a no till gardener, its probably a beneficial or it snuck in on its own here at my place.

no leaf symptoms, no chems on shelf at the moment besides alcohol, peroxide, bleach, baking soda.

i just snapped this at around 10 am, i was poking around the veg tent and saw that movement in one pot. havent seen anything else going on anywhere.

if its a beneficial ill be so happy, i just want to make sure its not something i need to start dealing with asap.

Looks like an aphid to me,, for sure not a thrip or a spider mite,, and from what I know russet mites are much smaller

I can't really see that well enough.
But.
Mites do not have antennae
Mites have 8 legs aphids have 6
Aphids also have two tail tubes looks sorta like short antennae coming out the back.

These differences can give you an idea if you can see it clearly.

What little i can see which is just shape that looks like an aphid
im gonna camp out with a magnifying glass and try to snap a better pic! thanks for stopping by

Taking a clear pic with a cell phone can be done depending on the phone.

Get or make a holder of some kind so you're not touching the phone.
Set it so that you use whatever buzzword to take a shot, like cheese or shoot etc.
Take a shot with flash and one without flash, the one without flash try to have enough light in the space maybe even a flashlight.
And take a shot zoomed in and one zoomed part way out.

was a l
Taking a clear pic with a cell phone can be done depending on the phone.

Get or make a holder of some kind so you're not touching the phone.
Set it so that you use whatever buzzword to take a shot, like cheese or shoot etc.
Take a shot with flash and one without flash, the one without flash try to have enough light in the space maybe even a flashlight.
And take a shot zoomed in and one zoomed part way out.
was able to snap some better shots for you! looks like an 8 legger to me. and def leaning amblyseius cucumeris.. but i defer to your expertise
9C606AAC-7D98-40FF-993D-A755C187930F.png
40376AFD-7B97-47E9-8C02-362CFDFE1FF3.png
6A3A4757-8C24-4FBA-8730-E3E5F6C4E907.png

Back
Top Bottom