Building a new grow room. Attic vs Basement

modred

I'm going to build a bigger grow room and I have 2 options available. I should mention that I live in the mid Atlantic region and generally have cold winters and very humid summers. First is the attic which offers more headroom, 9 foot ceiling, and great ventilation. The problem here is the temp extremes. It does'nt freeze but can get down into the upper 30's in winter and 100 in the summer.
Second is the basement, not as much headroom about 5' 10". The basement has a much more stable temp. avg is 62 deg. but humidity is pegged in the summer.

I'm really leaning toward the basement because of the stable temps. Any input on the pros and cons of both would be great.

Thanks
Modred

BASEMENT !!!!!!!!!

Much easier to deal with less headroom and stable temps than more headroom and wildly varying temps.

I grow in the basement.

DD

Do you dry in basement also? Do you have to run dehumidifier. Just want to know what to expect. I've gotten used to a climate controlled closet in the house.

I agree with droop. Basement all the way. If your humidity spikes you probably are going to want to run a dehumidifier. Mold sucks

Maybe section off a part of the basement really well so the dehumidifier doesn't have to work as hard.

Basement, it is easier to deal with RH only than crazy arse temps. 5'10" is plenty high for all but pure Sativas that you let go crazy. Even those are fine with some proper pruning.

:peace:
WillyB

Thanks everyone for the feedback. It's decided then, basement. Probably gonna start preping the area this week. I'll post construction progress photos as I go.
:thanks:

What about the temp being at only 62, I wonder because that is about where my temps are at and I grow ina basement? Also, if I was to get a heater would a propane heater produce co2?

What about the temp being at only 62, I wonder because that is about where my temps are at and I grow ina basement? Also, if I was to get a heater would a propane heater produce co2?

If the air temp is 62 to start the heat from you rbulbs should be plenty enough to keep your grow area warm, unless you are:

a: running LED's
b: not working in a confined space.

Also yes a propane heater would create CO2.

also modred I look forward to seeing the new space!

I'm really excited to start construction, but wisdom dictates that I not rush it. My micro system is running great rite now which will give me time to sort all the details. I am running HID lights and they do a great job of warming the area. I probably will use propane for supplemental heat as the whole house runs on propane. Plus its a free source of CO2.

Back
Top Bottom