Building my first Grow Cabinet

I have never tried to do 12/12 through the whole grow. But but from what I understand they ladies need more light in the beginning part of life. So that they can develop the root system needed to grow big and healthy. As for heat. stick one of the fans right at light level that should help keep the heat down. Hell put two. If you have six fans in there that should be plenty to keep air circulating through the area.

I have never tried to do 12/12 through the whole grow. But but from what I understand they ladies need more light in the beginning part of life. So that they can develop the root system needed to grow big and healthy. As for heat. stick one of the fans right at light level that should help keep the heat down. Hell put two. If you have six fans in there that should be plenty to keep air circulating through the area.

I planted 31 random bag seeds I had some germinating. When I shut the lights off in the spare bathroom(12/12 method with 1 lightbulb wasn't trying anything lol) well this morning I went to turn on the bathrom light and bam several seeds have sprouted some in particular was looking nice and tall. I planted them all Friday night after leaving them all in a cup of RO water for 26 hours. I am so tempted to put the HPS in the bathroom and just do the 1st grow there until I can get all the pieces to make the cabinet 100% finished. thoughts?

Go for it as long as you can manage temps :thumb: although you would lose some lumens because you won't be getting much reflective light because its in a whole room and 400w is only good for about 3ft x 3ft MAX try to get something to use as sides maybe

I did my first grow in my bathroom, lol! One plant with an all-in-one 250 watt hps. Good thing I was single cause there was only one bathroom. :thedoubletake:

12/12 from seed will work, I've seen results by others and did it once myself with a sativa. Came out good! They (the seedlings) still veg for a few weeks before they show any signs flowering.

Of course it will take away from some flavor that a more mature plant would give, and yield is reduced some.

I think you have a master plan set! Go for it!

Thanks all of you! My biggest issue is how to mount the sun light econo reflector to the top of the cabinet. I have not seen any info on this. Instinct is to drill thru the cabinet but that seems silly. Any ideas. I just peaked again in the bathroom. a few more are peeking out of the soil. I have a 60 watt regular light bulb and I just put in 3 of the LED that fit regular sockets in the bathroom. I know those 4 lights ain't doing anything since they are just in the normal vanity fixture on the wall. I have the 31 seeds in a tray on the sink below the lights. The exhaust fan is running and I have the dyson running on low. I plan on getting the light installed in the cabinet as soon as I get an idea of the best way to do it. please send me ideas..... this is exciting. Not too worried about the yield as this is just for the wife. I don't medicate.

you can mount it in the box with hook and chain. just get some hooks to screw into the top of it. Then get a few feet worth of chain and attach that to your reflector and hang it from the hooks. Good to hear that you have had some many sprout. Once you find out the sex toss the males and enjoy the rest. You can also just toss some to free up space. it is really up to you.

dont let it stress you. i know its a lot to take in at once, but soon it will be second nature.

its best to have everything figured out before germing, but... who wants to wait :p Live and learn.

however, you could do the whole grow in the bathroom if you want.. 23 is going to be way too many, but, i would sex them once they are big enough, and ditch the males/weakest ones of the batch.

given the stage they are in, it might be worth it, to pickup veg lights, either flouros, or cfls, or even a small metal halide, and put the HPS in the cabinet, and get the temps dialed in, so they have a nice home to go to.

of course if thats not in your budget, i'd stick with the bathroom this time around unless you are confident you can get the temps under control in the cab right away.

best of luck! and keep on with the updates.

you can mount it in the box with hook and chain. just get some hooks to screw into the top of it. Then get a few feet worth of chain and attach that to your reflector and hang it from the hooks. Good to hear that you have had some many sprout. Once you find out the sex toss the males and enjoy the rest. You can also just toss some to free up space. it is really up to you.

I want the cabinet stealth. I can't find specs for thickness. I don't want anything sharp sticking out. May have no choice

dont let it stress you. i know its a lot to take in at once, but soon it will be second nature.

its best to have everything figured out before germing, but... who wants to wait :p Live and learn.

however, you could do the whole grow in the bathroom if you want.. 23 is going to be way too many, but, i would sex them once they are big enough, and ditch the males/weakest ones of the batch.

given the stage they are in, it might be worth it, to pickup veg lights, either flouros, or cfls, or even a small metal halide, and put the HPS in the cabinet, and get the temps dialed in, so they have a nice home to go to.

of course if thats not in your budget, i'd stick with the bathroom this time around unless you are confident you can get the temps under control in the cab right away.

best of luck! and keep on with the updates.

How long for sex? I started them on friday. I think light is to high. they are tall

you will find with the HPS, they will stretch, try to keep temps down, and light as close as possible to avoid this as much as possible..

reason being, is your plants are craving "blue light" and your standard HPS, is very heavy in the red spectrum.

you normally wont be able to sex them for about 3-4 weeks.

I noticed early in your thread you mentioned you were going to try 12/12 from seed. Were you still going with the 12/12 from seed grow? If you are there is no need for blue light. And with that it will be around 3 weeks to sex like nibec said give or take a day or two...

I noticed early in your thread you mentioned you were going to try 12/12 from seed. Were you still going with the 12/12 from seed grow? If you are there is no need for blue light. And with that it will be around 3 weeks to sex like nibec said give or take a day or two...

i have the 12/12 set on timer. I will still by metal halide to have on hand for future

i personally think things will go better if you gave them the metal halide for 3 weeks at 18/6, than going 12/12 right away with the hps.

i germed a seedling, and threw it in with my flowering plant soon as it popped.. and yes it worked.. but it had some weird growth patterns and was fairly sickly through the whole process.. however it could have just been that seed, realisticly.. it wasnt from a stable genetic.

but, all up to you, and i look forward to seeing the result, either way.

I've done 12 12 from seed and never got wierd growth it sounds like genetics but I agree with the veg stage under mh because 12 12 from seed has low yields plus in my opinion I think the plants should mature before pushing them into flower to potentially maximize potency and yield...

well I am going to give it a try then. I just want to get rid of some of these soon because I have no idea what to do with all of these. What should I put them in? They are ready to come out of the tray I have them in I think. I will be visiting the shop and want to get a few things to start work on cabinet. Don't know what to get. I had it all planned so I thought now i am just lost.

2-9-12.jpg

IMG-20120213-00571.jpg

IMG-20120216-00580.jpg

IMG-20120216-00581.jpg

UPDATE:

I picked up MH bulb, roots organic, mykos, Tiger Bloom fertilizer and 6 2 gallon plastic pots and 3 5 gallon plastic pots. There is know way I can keep all 24 of these. I have no room for them.

i'd say, once they start growing, and exit the seedling stage, give them a short 1-2 week veg, then get as many of them as you can fit into your hps's footprint.. and 12/12 them.

you could even go a few more than the footprint allows, but remember the ones outside of the main footprint wont yield nearly as much, or as nice of buds.

Back
Top Bottom