Bulb Life? How many grows?

Ripples

A quick question... How many grows do you get from a 1000w till it loses it potential? Looked up the life of a bulb 24,000 hrs. No-way will that work! My guess is 3 cycles and that's using 2 bulbs... MH for veg. and HPS for flower. Perhaps using a light meter will be helpful? I figure 24-0= 750 hrs. for veg. (30 days) and 12-12 is 750 hrs. (60 days) average numbers..... Somebody with numerous grows must know this answer! Thanks!

I found this chart awhile ago. Not sure how accurate it is, but it's colorful and has lines and stuff, so it must be legit.

image19563.jpg

EDIT** Just as to not cause confusion with my little quip there, this chart IS accurate as it is seen on many lighting distribution sites.

Continuous 12/12 lighting cycle is just short of 5000 hours per year.

MH are pretty crap that is just about a years worth of use.

HPS ya looking at around 4 years.

It is only lumen deterioration over life span of the bulb & that is only a measurement of light to the human eye only which has nothing to do with plant growth :thumb:

Seems very unlikely it would effect kelvin, light spectrum of the MH/HPS bulb which has a direct influence on plant growth !

They are not cheap so this is good news! I must admit I am surprised they last that long. I should be set for a while. Do either of you have a take on LED or other lighting sources? I am in the process of building a new house and considering designing a "legit" grow room in the basement. The tent works fine but a complete room would be much easier! I'm sure this poses problems I have not considered? Will have to research it a bit before I move forward. Thanks for the help.

I found this chart awhile ago. Not sure how accurate it is, but it's colorful and has lines and stuff, so it must be legit.

image19563.jpg

EDIT** Just as to not cause confusion with my little quip there, this chart IS accurate as it is seen on many lighting distribution sites.

Wow the MH arc is so crappy! Too bad this chart doesn't include Ceramic Metal Halide, which is supposedly the latest from that tech. Get a lux meter, that will save you money on bulbs in the end.:thumb:

Back
Top Bottom