California Could See Over $1.4 Billion Revenue Spike From Tax Cannabis Act

California's very own State Board of Equalization reports in its legislative bill analysis that revenues from the Tax Cannabis Act would equal roughly $1.4 billion.

With California's budget in crisis mode, the Tax Cannabis Act could be a welcome boon with schools, families, and communities reeling from cuts that hardly dent the colossal budget gap.

Over at FireDogLake, Jon Walker has a long list of things California could afford with all that extra revenue. The list includes among other things, hiring 23,000 teachers, police, or firefighters; providing health insurance to one million children; or providing maximum unemployment benefits for a full year to 59,000 Californians.

While I hate to rain on the spending parade, California could also just pay off some of its massive debt, and use the added revenue as a way out of a crisis- a cushion to help ease the transition to a more responsible fiscal policy. The Tax Cannabis Act could be California's ticket out of a vicious cycle of debt-funded spending.

With Californians evenly split on the issue of cannabis legalization, this figure could be welcome news for the tax cannabis movement, especially considering the typical trend of California ballot propositions to lose momentum and support over time. The State Board of Equalization's report that California has $1.4 billion to gain, could be enough to tip the scales of public opinion in favor legalizing and taxing cannabis this November.

It's also worth mentioning that the state will see a financial boost that goes above and beyond the $1.4 billion in tax revenues from the legal sale of marijuana. The new jobs and economic growth of an entire industry will increase the broader tax base, and thereby boost revenues.

Dollars that presently make their way back to Mexico will end up staying (and being spent in) California, boosting sales for (and tax revenues from) other non-cannabis-related businesses in California, growing the tax base even more, while providing relief to businesses struggling in an economic downturn.

Then there are the state's expense accounts to consider. The untold millions of dollars California spends on police activity, drug interdiction, litigation, and incarceration would be spared from the budget, netting the state even more financial benefits if the Tax Cannabis Act is passed in November.

While moral, safety, and health issues hang in the balance, with $1.4 billion or more to gain, the tax cannabis movement just might have made California an offer that is too good to refuse.

NewsHawk: Ganjarden: 420 MAGAZINE
Source: CAIVN
Author: W. E. Messamore
Copyright: 2010 CAIVP, 501(c)4 organization

Not if you are selling it at 12.00/pound you won't...LOL

Jails will fill and DEA will know where to find the comercial grows. Hotdog on a stick baby!

The initiative is $50 an ounce tax.

Jails will fill because cannabis is no longer a crime to adults? If you supplying a minor it's the same felony as the law stands now. No worse, the same.

Everyone will know where the commercial grows will be. That's how all legal businesses work.

The initiative is $50 an ounce tax.

Jails will fill because cannabis is no longer a crime to adults? If you supplying a minor it's the same felony as the law stands now. No worse, the same.

Everyone will know where the commercial grows will be. That's how all legal businesses work.

So... people will pay 12.50 for the actual product and 50.00 in taxes for a totall of 62.50/oz... man something does not sound righ there. but if people are willing to pay almost 500% in taxes why not. That has to be way better than what it is now... I don't think so. Atleast people right now are getting the money instead of the government.

I bet the increased availability driving down prices will be offset by the increased demand for legal smoke. I don't see prices dropping below $250 an ounce + the $50 tax to make an even $300. But now ur pot is actually making the community a better place by funding roads projects and local playgrounds. It'll also open up many new jobs for california residents.

I bet the increased availability driving down prices will be offset by the increased demand for legal smoke. I don't see prices dropping below $250 an ounce + the $50 tax to make an even $300. But now ur pot is actually making the community a better place by funding roads projects and local playgrounds. It'll also open up many new jobs for california residents.

I do not see it at that price... I see it getting to under 100.00/oz with the tax... and the taxes will go to more spending but not on things you mentioned...LOL.

Tax it at the source. Get these farmers out in the open. Put these false compassion dispensaries and distribution rings out of business. The prices will drop, but let the farmers worry about that. They're the professionals. Minors will still do the same stupid things that minors do, but let them and their parents worry about that. I want to grow my pot and not worry about some cop thumpin me on the head or providing a nosey neighbor with a tool for manipulation. People that can't grow pot should not have to get price raped at these so called compassionate non-profits, and they wont have to once larger grow operations come out of the wood works. Once they do, then people have real jobs, and not "volunteer jobs." That means that people will get W2s for trimming, growing, transporting, distributing, retailing and it won’t be some mathematical cluster fuck that someone is filling out to appear legitimate. How that will play out on a federal level, who knows, but a CA owned and operated mj farming operation sure sounds better than what is going on now.

So... people will pay 12.50 for the actual product and 50.00 in taxes for a total of 62.50/oz... man something does not sound right there. but if people are willing to pay almost 500% in taxes why not. That has to be way better than what it is now... I don't think so. Atleast people right now are getting the money instead of the government.

Great, then it will be $62.50 an OZ (we all know this won't happen). That's a lot less then the majority of people are paying now. $62.50 will now get an 1/8. Let's see would I rather spend 62.50 and get an oz or an 1/8th? Easy answer.

What? What's that you say? It will put YOU out of the business of selling a plant that grows like a weed for the same price gold goes for? Aww, that's a shame.

You selfish, selfish people that want big bucks for your crop are a disgrace. This is an inexpensive, easy to grow medicine that is needed to help sick people. Not a drug for you to make a killing on. Even when legal there will be plenty of businesses you can go into to make a living.

The opposition from growers and dealers is just selfishness and greed.

Great, then it will be $62.50 an OZ (we all know this won't happen). That's a lot less then the majority of people are paying now. $62.50 will now get an 1/8. Let's see would I rather spend 62.50 and get an oz or an 1/8th? Easy answer.

What? What's that you say? It will put YOU out of the business of selling a plant that grows like a weed for the same price gold goes for? Aww, that's a shame.

You selfish, selfish people that want big bucks for your crop are a disgrace. This is an inexpensive, easy to grow medicine that is needed to help sick people. Not a drug for you to make a killing on. Even when legal there will be plenty of businesses you can go into to make a living.

The opposition from growers and dealers is just selfishness and greed.

Well then... put your money where your mouth is... grow it and give it away for free.

The price is where it is at because of legal fees. So quit your crying. All this bill is going to do is give people a false sense of security and land alot of our youth in prison and still keep those arrested in prison.

I would rather see regular people get the money than to see wastefull government make money off of it at a toll 500%.

Right now the people that are selling it only make 100%... again the price is because of the legal aspects of retaining a lawyer.

So again quit your crying... even without this law people can still grow their own and less than an ounce is not even punishable. You are a buch of sheep being led to the slaughter...LOL.

I LOVE LAMB CHOPS!

I have grown my own and given away over a 1/4 lb for free. If I sold it at market price say 400 an ounce i would have made a 1428% profit. All start up cost considered.

Right now the people that are selling it only make 100%... again the price is because of the legal aspects of retaining a lawyer.

The price is a direct result of prohibition. Retaining a lawyer? Everyone I have ever known to have sold, grew, or consumed cannabis that got busted didn't have a lawyer until after being arrested.

So yeah keep it illegal and continue to throw adults in jail because this isn't a perfect law?

I don't think the average voter will be swayed to vote against decriminalization, taxation and regulation because of the self-interested logic promulgated by illegal commercial growers as seen in this thread. If the new law passes, it will be because a majority of voters have common sense and believe that the so-called 'war on drugs' with respect to cannabis is an abject failure based on 75 years of bullshit science, covert racism and Nixon-era politics.

I predict California will lead the way towards eventually repealing the prohibition of cannabis in the U.S. with this landmark legislation as imperfect as the legislation may be.

Of course those who profit from the black market are soiling themselves at the thought of competing in the free market and paying taxes to the government. If you don't like the new law in progressive California, move to some backwards state where you can still enjoy the oppression of draconian laws, over zealous law enforcement and a prison-happy judicial system.

The winds of change are blowing through California this November. If that doesn't suit you, grab a parachute and let them drag you to Utah.

LOL.. spoken like Obama...LOL Blind leading the blind. The new law will bring more problems then solutions. I hope I am wrong... but I do not think so and alot of people will see.

Best of luck to you all.

P.S. before you go and comment on things you have no idea about... get your facts right... I am a medical marijuana patient and have no affiliation to any commercial grow or anything like that as a matter of fact... again... it shows your intelect in which I hope you are right. However if I am right... the youth will suffer and with the false sense of security... the people as a whole will suffer.

LOL.. spoken like Obama...LOL Blind leading the blind. The new law will bring more problems then solutions. I hope I am wrong... but I do not think so and alot of people will see.

Best of luck to you all.

P.S. before you go and comment on things you have no idea about... get your facts right... I am a medical marijuana patient and have no affiliation to any commercial grow or anything like that as a matter of fact... again... it shows your intelect in which I hope you are right. However if I am right... the youth will suffer and with the false sense of security... the people as a whole will suffer.

GanjaAl2, I have seen you refer to 'the youth will suffer' please tell me how it will be different from now, after this law is passed? There is no difference from the laws now for supplying to a minor. The minor smoking weed will have the same issues as they would now as well. It will help adults,and allow them to grow their own and not pay the dispensaries exhorbitant fees. If you are not a grower, and are just a patient paying 300+ an oz like you say,, then I am sorry but I think your dispensary has brainwashed you so they can keep getting your hard earned $$$$$

GanjaAl2, I have seen you refer to 'the youth will suffer' please tell me how it will be different from now, after this law is passed? There is no difference from the laws now for supplying to a minor. The minor smoking weed will have the same issues as they would now as well. It will help adults,and allow them to grow their own and not pay the dispensaries exhorbitant fees. If you are not a grower, and are just a patient paying 300+ an oz like you say,, then I am sorry but I think your dispensary has brainwashed you so they can keep getting your hard earned $$$$$

'Youth will suffer' ...ridiculous. The youth will suffer when the state goes broke. Youth will benefit long term because of the money generated from the new cash crop. Everybody wins from the relaxation of prohibition...except illegal drug dealers and scum lowlife that offer drugs to kids.

the 18-20 will suffer... as they are left out of this law. Again with a drug charge they loose out on social and school benifits. Since it will be very accessable with no street regulation as cops can not be everywhere at once... this groups arrest rate will go up.

'Youth will suffer' ...ridiculous. The youth will suffer when the state goes broke. Youth will benefit long term because of the money generated from the new cash crop. Everybody wins from the relaxation of prohibition...except illegal drug dealers and scum lowlife that offer drugs to kids.

Yea ... pipe dream. again your intelect is showing... the democrats run california they will find new ways to spend our money... and it sure won't be to pay down our dept...LOL. Sorry but the proposed revenue from this pipe dream is a drop in the bucket compared to our actual dept... wake up sheep, wake up...LOL

I love lamb chops!

Oh and I pay 200.00/oz for grade A meds... so do not worry about me.

the 18-20 will suffer... as they are left out of this law. Again with a drug charge they loose out on social and school benifits. Since it will be very accessable with no street regulation as cops can not be everywhere at once... this groups arrest rate will go up.

You've based that on what, exactly? Done any research? If so, how many kids in that age group are caught and either fined or punished in some other fashion, what percentage are released with a warning under the current legal realities, what percentage of total consumers (of that age group) does that represent, and what are the projected numbers and percentages of each of the aforementioned if the legislation passes?

I've seen a few rather vocal people (or at least a few nicknames) at this and other sites who profess to be looking out for the good of others and often when things do not seem to be going in the direction that they would prefer, they start acting like sheep-herders (yet in a strange twist, they also call the people that they're representing themselves as the... shepherds of... sheep when things start looking shaky).

But I've to date not seen any research with solid figures. Only people that tell me to use my head but seem to actually want me to use theirs.

I'm what's known as a free-thinker. Politicians do not seem to like me. Perhaps you could shed some light on that for me?

Yea ... pipe dream. again your intelect is showing...

As is your agenda.

the democrats run california they will find new ways to spend our money... and it sure won't be to pay down our dept...LOL. Sorry but the proposed revenue from this pipe dream is a drop in the bucket compared to our actual dept... wake up sheep, wake up...LOL

So as long as there is one problem, that makes it proper in your mind to refuse to solve both it and others? Personally, I would rather see both solved instead of neither.

Oh and I pay 200.00/oz for grade A meds...

If the above statement is a true one, you may wish to peruse some of our fine forums here. I think I read somewhere that people can grow their own.

One thing that I've learned through the many courses I've taken at the school of hard knocks is that those who most strongly represent themselves as shepherds...

...sure look a lot like wolves during the dissection.

But either way, we've both stated our opinions (and presumably, what they're based on) in various threads for people to study and consider at will. But (this) humble one hopes that everyone will think for themselves and end up voting their conscience; that is, the way that they feel has the greatest potential to benefit the greatest number of people.

Whether their ultimate decision helps them, you, or me specifically is really of much lesser importance when it comes down to it. (But that should be obvious.)

From my sheepish perspective, there is no way to predict the future subsequent to the successful passing of the CA marijuana measure; just conjecture and opinion. Though I admit I am more likely to consider the opinion of NORML or Americans for Safe Access than certain lay people's opinions to the contrary in this thread.

Back
Top Bottom