California or Colorado? Where would You move to?

Seraphim

I am looking into moving to either CO or CA this year. I am a glass blower and I know how to grow as well. So I would be looking to set up shop mainly selling my glassware (which I put all my heart into) as well as being a care giver to myself and perhaps a handful of other patients. I am not out to conquer the world selling bud or growing warehouses of bud, I just want to reside where I could live in peace, grow my own without fear of legal trouble and maybe make a little money from my glass work and perhaps from helping a few patients.

So.. with that in mind.. where would you recommend relocating to? The choices are Colorado or California.

The possibility of legalization in CA in November is of course a wild card.

Thoughts, ideas, observations and suggestions .. all appreciated. Please feel free to elaborate on your answer.

Thank you for your thoughts!

Either one would be good... They are the best States in the US.... I was born and raised in Cali and have been living in COlorado for five years now... They are both great States.. OK, I'll go with Colorado...;):roorrip:

Thanks folks. I am really torn on this one!

I to was raised in so cal,I moved to colorado about 4 years ago and i love it in CO.The mountain areas are the place to be trust me on this one a guy with your talents could do well here Denver is ok but too big of city your a dime a dozen there but places like Vail,Aspen,Breckenridge area and so on few and far between,but the laws here aren't bad i have had my med card for 6 months and grow my own its awsome!My sister still lives in cali and she also has her card and grows.Last week she try to go to dispencery and the feds had shut it down,they have shut a quite a few of them down in the so cal area,bigger cities more chance for FBI involvement and who wants to deal with that crap!!!!!!Should be legalized in every state alcohol is and it kills people every FUCKING DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Colorado is gaining ground here and in my head.

Thanks for the feedback jungleworld. I will look into the Vail,Aspen,Breckenridge area you recommend.

I may take a quick weekend trip out there soon to see what its like and do some recon.

I'm in Denver, and we have had MMJ for a while now, but it is just becoming a big issue now because there are so many dispensaries going up, and everybody wants in on it, so all the republican law makers are trying their hardest to shut down all of the dispensaries and trying to get rid of MMJ all together. Hopefully there is enough sane people here to
keep that from happening.

idk, but if i get the job i want, i'm going to live in monterey, california for a while! too bad i won't be able to smoke, though :( the one con of military life...

Out of the two states you mentioned: If the legislation passes, California. Otherwise... Have you considered Oregon? I believe that there is a dispensary initiative gaining support there now (initiative 28) and have read that they have some fairly high medical possession limits so bongs/glass might be popular. And then there's Montana. I haven't read much about their qualification requirements or possession limits but I do know that they are one of the only (if not THE only) states that honor other states' cardholders while they are in the state of Montana. IOW, your card-holding friends and relatives from other states would be able to visit you and continue to medicate legally while they are with you.

By "glassware" I assume you mean bongs and/or glass pipes. If this is the case, you might want to check sites such as NORML and read about the various paraphernalia laws in each state. Some are friendlier (or at least less unfriendly) than others both in penalties and degree of enforcement. For example, there are versions of a bill in both Florida Houses right now that would outlaw sales of smoking devices in any business that does not do at least 75% of its business in tobacco sales. It seems that Floridians - at least the government that they have chosen - do NOT like head shops.

TorturedSoul,

Thanks for the insight. I did consider Montana. A few friends and I were going to launch some type of care giver network (i was going to do the IT infrastructure, website, etc.) but things did not materialize on that front.

Oregon also got my attention early on due in fact to the high limits as well.

So in short, no commitments yet on destination. Just trying to research everything. I would hate to move somewhere and find out that I cant do this or that.

And yes, I do mean glass pipes and the like. I got into glass pipe making in 2004. Mine is not 'production' work. In fact I have often chosen to give my work away to friends as gifts rather than sell it bulk to head-shops which want a deep discount for work which I obviously poured my heart into.

Thanks for the lead to NORML site for the paraphernalia laws in the states. This is a good resource for me in particular.

UPDATE! I am going to stay in Boulder Co. for a few days this summer. Likely August sometime. It will be a sort of recon trip to check out the area, shake hands and evaluate the possibility of moving there.

It does look like if I move (which I will) it will be to COLORADO baby!!! (subject to change without notice)

I am soooo hoping that is the case!!!!!!!!!

I am crossing my fingers that some work will be available in the MMJ arena ... I can grow, I can make glass pipes and I am willing to roll up my sleeves and get dirty with work. Hoping Boulder could use my skills..

I would really hate to have to take another Information Technology job just to pay the bills. (that is my background) I would much more rather work with bud ... even if I take a major pay cut... its not about money anymore.. as long as I can pay my bills and live in peace and grow/smoke in peace and be around like minded folks.. that is my treasure!

I've been in California for the past 19 yrs, and watched it go down the toilet. Honestly - look at Colorado. I know I'm looking at Colorado, AZ, TX, NV, for a retirement location...CA is on the brink of complete failure, and IMHO "nutmeg" Whitman will push this state over the edge if/when she buys the office of Gov.

We may have great MMJ and easy access, but with everything else going wrong, it's just getting too expensive to live here, and it kills me to watch the State flounder in debt due to all the BS social welfare programs.

YMMV.

:peace:

Being a long time CA citizen, I can say (pot legislation aside) I am pretty sick and tired of the politics in this state. We have a knack for voting in scumbag idiots with dirty agendas. Can't speak for Colorado. But your skill is valuable in CA so you'd probably do alright here, just realize the cost of living here is significantly higher than most states.

Can't speak for Colorado. Never lived there.

I agree 100% with NCal-Cyclist. Don't know much about CO but most other states are looking pretty appealing right now.

One thing is certain.. regardless of state. The MMJ landscape is changing constantly. Laws change all the time, new laws are being written. So wherever it is.. the need to be nimble and able to turn on a dime is key. Situational awareness is golden. And sometimes staying put is also a valid play. So nothing is out of the question.

As it stands, I still like CO better than CA and I like both more than where I am now. Although new opportunities seem to be presenting themselves in the MMJ states close to me so one never knows... Just have to keep watching.

I'm with the other guys, as a CA resident I love our marijuana laws and openess, but holy crap the rest of the shit is going down the drain. State is broke, CA schools which use to be the best in the world are now cutting what seems to be every program possible. Getting your vehicle registered costs a ridiculous amount of money, etc etc. I love Northern Cali, my favorite place in the world, but if I were you I would move to Co. Also there seems to be no more room in this state for another glass shop, I buy a lot of my glass on the street from struggling glass blowers.

Back
Top Bottom