Calling All Bud Gurus!

Ennui

Hey people, first grow, soil and the plants are awaiting the flip. Plants are A1 and the internodal spacing TIGHT.

The only piece missing from my puzzle is how many nodes I'd want to grow out from the last prune to get a bud no longer than say 12". I know stretch is an unquantifiable variable along with other things, I'm after your experience knowing I have to translate it to my set of givens.

I say 12" but the main goal is to have as much of the flower as close to an 800PAR value the whole flower cycle. Yield is a minor factor.

I've closely examined the stem structure of some large buds, but never the whole thing to paint a complete picture. I see the spacing match mine with no stretch and it's adding confusion rather than clearing it.

Any help's greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance. :cool:

So much goes into what you want to do. To tell the truth I am not sure exactly what that is. I got the 12 inch bud part so I will just take that part into consideration. The problem is you never mentioned how big the "Plant" will be.

First you need a strain that "Can" do it. Lots of strains no matter how well grown will not make a 12" bud.

If you want to show off a huge foot long bud to your friends. Then look to a sativa that has fox tail type buds. Here is a picture of a Haze #1 that is about 2 foot tall that will have at least a couple buds over 12 inches. Even at this stage in flower you can tell it will fill out.

Lots of times you see plants that are nothing but a 12" bud. These are done with clones that are already old enough to flower well. Then flowered as soon as the take root. You still will probably need a indica dominate strain for this to work. There is no time for branching this way. When plants are trimmed they resemble 1 big bud coming out of the soil. No pictures of this type of growing. I don't do it. The sea of green style of growing is not as popular as it once was.

Hope this helps.

Hey Jackalope, you bring up good points and some gaps in my info. I'm mainlining, manifolding and straight pruning, this first grow. I'm hoping the whole plant will be the bud. I have a much bigger root structure than I have plant above ground. I'm in soil, 5 gallon fabric pots. Headroom won't be an issue, the tallest plant is 10" tall, ATM. Total height is less than 2' now and they'll mature any day. I'm in no rush, I'd like to let it grow upwards enough to produce its best for the size. I'm an audio guy, I keep forgetting I have pics to explain everything.

Mainline GSC;

MLtop.jpg

ML side.jpg

Manifold; Royal Purple Kush

Prune; Amnesia Haze

AmHzside.jpg

AmHztop.jpg

Overview;

overview.jpg

Let me put a point on where I'm confused, might help.

I've looked at the structure of bud stems to try and correlate it to my plants, but only sections, never a whole one where I can count nodes and figure it myself. I'm missing that piece of data. I know they'll stretch 2-3 times veg height in early flower so the tallest the AmHz would get is 30", the mainline has 3" of upward growth now with 3 sets of nodes. Set does mean two here, so a total of 6 if you counted individually. If I go another 3" before flower I'm thinking it'd be 12" total. To my thinking, since I have healthy plants that have the horsepower under the hood and no leaking gaskets, and I can get ideal PPFD :)mrgreen:) to the entire plant there should be no reason the entire plant can't produce what I'm thinking. Again, depending on strain characteristics. I haven't found anyone doing similar, they have to be out there, this is my first grow and I was expecting to be low man on the totem pole with the technique. I see plants with greater internodal spacing than what I see here and I see their results are great, I'm having trouble with the translation to my givens.

A lot of what you are talking about is beyond anything I do. I don't count nodes before topping let alone at other times in the grow. Sounds like you have a idea of what you are doing. Lots of times we as growers need to add additional info to a situation for various technics to work. Strain and genetics have a lot to do with how to continue a grow.

I see what you are trying to do. Looks like you are on the right path so far. I have had clones that I bushed out and grew in similar fashion. It had Hashplant genetics and never really filled out the buds up the whole stem. Maybe 6" on the longest cola. Plant genetics have so much to do with this part. Stretch and bud formation has to be on your side as much as roots and branches. Stretch is a hard thing to calculate if you have never grown that strain out. Pheno's and misinformation have to much in play for general info to be useful.

Looks like you have the plant in a situation to do what you would like it too. Keep them happy and healthy and see what happens. Wait and watch is a huge part of growing that is hard to do.

Back
Top Bottom