Can I plant seeds directly into the ground?

I've got a little problem, I can't germinate on my property so I was wondering if it is okay to plant the seeds directly in the ground in some seed starting mix?
Yes. Plan ahead, though.

If you have the final areas for the plants already picked out you could put one seed in each spot. If you are planning on starting the seeds and then transplanting later a bit more time preparing the seed bed will help make that chore easier.

Yep.. interestingly enough.. I have a customer on one of my routes who dug up 1 gallon sized holes right in the middle of their dandelion and crab grass patch. I was convinced the weeds would dominate the plants and choke them out but apparently the cannabis plants were more than vigorous enough to overcome it and now they’re growing well.

A second related instance. My MIL was growing in fabric bags outdoors. She set her bags directly on the ground. The roots exploded out of the bag and ran into the earth. Those plants became massive. Parts of their root system are still in her yard because she just cut them at the ground level instead of digging them out.

There are also a few prominent earth scientists that believe all soil has every nutrient a plant needs to grow. It’s just a matter of how bound up the nutrients are, how compacted the soil has become and how healthy the soil food web is.

As above - although we have domesticated a weed and pamper it, 99.9999999%+ of all the weed that's ever grown has come from a cola full of seeds just laying on the ground, maybe a few dead leaves on top
I've seen masses of it growing wild in India and Thailand and it just grows with no help whatsoever
You can probably guess, I'm not interested in [aka know nothing about] DLI, VPD, EC, PPFD, JCB, XYZ and all that industry hype - it's just a plant and I don't treat it any differently to tomatoes or capsicum

Yep, and potatoes
We're on the same page @SmokingWings
Just so happens that yesterday while taking a break from working out in the garden I looked up something plant related so the Solanaceae family and the Capsicum plant were fresh in my memory.If not for that it would have been all tomatoes and potatoes and nightshade .......

Which are both from the same plant family as 'deadly nightshade'.;).
In fact the green parts of tomato's (other than the fruit) and potato plants are poisonous, that's why you never see livestock grazing in old tomato/potato fields. Even green potatos have a toxin in the skin, luckily it's broken down by the heat of cooking. Up until the mid 1800's people in Europe and America believed tomato fruit was poisonous, since every other plant in the old world that had that type of flower was poisonous!

Up until the mid 1800's people in Europe and America believed tomato fruit was poisonous, since every other plant in the old world that had that type of flower was poisonous!
And included in foods that did not grow in the Old World and were unknown until the fruits, plants or seeds were brought back after the 'discoveries' of the New World include some basic everyday ones like potatoes, corn, pineapple, peanuts, some varieties of chili peppers and some beans and a lot more

Before long these plants ended up in Europe and northern Africa. Italians were experimenting and coming up with uses for tomatoes in cooking by the early 1800s and like you mentioned it took until the mid-1800s or somewhat longer before the people in the countries north of Italy became comfortable cooking with and eating them.

Yes the seeds will be grown in their final areas.
Prepare each grow area the same way as if you were going to transplant a seedling into the spot. One seed per spot and water well.

I do not remember how you had planned return trips but in this sort of situation you will probably have to come back soon, maybe a week, to check whether every seed sprouted and survived. Any seed that failed to sprout or was destroyed after sprouting will have to be replaced.

That was the sort of problem I had when I tried to guerrilla growing. Sometimes I was able to get back to the area a week or two later and could tell which sprouted or which transplanted seedling survived. Then there were the times I might not be able to return for 4 to 6 weeks to find out every single growing spot was empty. It was prime deer and rabbit hunting property so it was always a gamble whether the deer or bunnies would get them.

Prepare each grow area the same way as if you were going to transplant a seedling into the spot. One seed per spot and water well.

I do not remember how you had planned return trips but in this sort of situation you will probably have to come back soon, maybe a week, to check whether every seed sprouted and survived. Any seed that failed to sprout or was destroyed after sprouting will have to be replaced.

That was the sort of problem I had when I tried to guerrilla growing. Sometimes I was able to get back to the area a week or two later and could tell which sprouted or which transplanted seedling survived. Then there were the times I might not be able to return for 4 to 6 weeks to find out every single growing spot was empty. It was prime deer and rabbit hunting property so it was always a gamble whether the deer or bunnies would get them.
That is a real good idea about coming back after one week and replacing any seeds that didn't sprout, I had a silly plan which would have involved seeds getting wasted so I think I'll borrow your idea.

What was the germination rate on the seeds that you could get back to after one week?

Back
Top Bottom