Can I put a plug on this LED light?

AgedMaster

can i put a plug on this light without blowing something its a ceiling light it has 5 led bulbs dont no the watt or anything about the bulbs i can get a pic of bulb if needed. I need it for seedling stage would i be able to use this for seedling stage. i also have a small 4 light one also i just found them in one of my sheds
WP_20220828_11_53_27_Pro - Copy.jpg
WP_20220828_11_54_56_Pro - Copy (2).jpg

Hello - a few things to check first:

The fitting on the end of the cable suggests to me it is designed for low voltage lamps, so you would need a transformer/driver of sufficient wattage for the bulbs you use [eg 5 x 8w LED = 40w > 50w 12v transformer]
With a metal casing, I would also make sure the casing is earthed somehow, though that may be just a UK standard
Finally I would test-run it to check running temp as they can get quite warm after a while

Hello - a few things to check first:

The fitting on the end of the cable suggests to me it is designed for low voltage lamps, so you would need a transformer/driver of sufficient wattage for the bulbs you use [eg 5 x 8w LED = 40w > 50w 12v transformer]
With a metal casing, I would also make sure the casing is earthed somehow, though that may be just a UK standard
Finally I would test-run it to check running temp as they can get quite warm after a while
Hi pal i have what i believe is a converter ive got a stanley spot light with a black box connected with thin wires going in and thick wires out with a plug ive just brought 2 led bulbs 100w i thought they would fit what i have but there push and twist not screw in i have 5 lamps all screw in i even got a desk lamp as someone told me to in other post. the bulbs that are in there now are 35w 2700k each i think there warm. do u think they would be hotter than 250w hps. i was going to start in a cupboard 2.6 foot tall 1.6 ft wide

I dont think transformer i have will be powerfull enough if its on one light. They say 3.5w on the bulbs i will get a screenshot of transformer when my phones charged

Hi pal i have what i believe is a converter ive got a stanley spot light with a black box connected with thin wires going in and thick wires out with a plug ive just brought 2 led bulbs 100w i thought they would fit what i have but there push and twist not screw in i have 5 lamps all screw in i even got a desk lamp as someone told me to in other post. the bulbs that are in there now are 35w 2700k each i think there warm. do u think they would be hotter than 250w hps. i was going to start in a cupboard 2.6 foot tall 1.6 ft wide
They will run cooler than 250w HPS - no contest
Since the lights aren't very powerful I'd suggest you go for cool white [4200-5600K] or they will likely stretch badly
Also check the output angle - ideally around 60° for bulbs a few inches apart; you'll get hot spots if the throw is only 20-30° and the bulbs are close to the canopy

can i put a plug on this light without blowing something its a ceiling light
Top of the morning to you, "agedmaster". Lovely morning over here and hopefully your Sunday morning was also a good one.

My suggestion is to spend some hard-earned money and buy a proper grow light even if it is an inexpensive one. I am thinking that even aT5 fixture that takes 2 half meter long bulbs would be better than anything you are able to put together with any thing you already have laying around. Never know, but it might be that a T5 fixture is better than all of them put together.

Just verify that what you buy is for growing plants from seedlings to maturity. Many people try to get by with buying "grow lights" meant for starting seeds or grow light fixtures are minimal power because they are meant to be used to maintain the existing size of a slow growing houseplant. And a houseplant light is what you might end up with if going with the light fixtures you have already found.

It might seem like it will cost a lot just to get started but keep in mind what you have already spent on bulbs that did not fit. And think of the the time spent digging through the sheds finding specialty house light. Something I just thought of regarding cobbling together lights from existing fixtures. They often ends up taking up more room or space than any thing you buy. And space becomes important come the middle of flowering when the top buds are bumping into the light bulbs.

I have already been through all this and going with the inexpensive fixtures has worked out for me. And if things work out then you can add more or build from there.

Top of the morning to you, "agedmaster". Lovely morning over here and hopefully your Sunday morning was also a good one.

My suggestion is to spend some hard-earned money and buy a proper grow light even if it is an inexpensive one. I am thinking that even aT5 fixture that takes 2 half meter long bulbs would be better than anything you are able to put together with any thing you already have laying around. Never know, but it might be that a T5 fixture is better than all of them put together.

Just verify that what you buy is for growing plants from seedlings to maturity. Many people try to get by with buying "grow lights" meant for starting seeds or grow light fixtures are minimal power because they are meant to be used to maintain the existing size of a slow growing houseplant. And a houseplant light is what you might end up with if going with the light fixtures you have already found.

It might seem like it will cost a lot just to get started but keep in mind what you have already spent on bulbs that did not fit. And think of the the time spent digging through the sheds finding specialty house light. Something I just thought of regarding cobbling together lights from existing fixtures. They often ends up taking up more room or space than any thing you buy. And space becomes important come the middle of flowering when the top buds are bumping into the light bulbs.
I have already been through all this and going with the inexpensive fixtures has worked out for me. And if things work out then you can add more or build from there.
Hi pal i dont have the money ive not been well for a long time i have hypermobile joints and the doctor thinks its also arthritis i have a 3 month sick note all i get is 200 pound a month i have a load of blood tests next week i think i might have to do it with my 250w hps as i have the electric but no money i done 3 autoflowers with hps last time i will start them in my tent.i also spoke to a neighbour who is a electrician he said i can plug the light straight to mains so i did and it works i did plug it in a surge protected extension just in case but if there useless i will use hps. i read up on the bulbs there 35w using 3.5w

They will run cooler than 250w HPS - no contest
Since the lights aren't very powerful I'd suggest you go for cool white [4200-5600K] or they will likely stretch badly
Also check the output angle - ideally around 60° for bulbs a few inches apart; you'll get hot spots if the throw is only 20-30° and the bulbs are close to the canopy
my hps is 2200k do u think 500k would be a huge difference. i put the light in cupboard and its real bright and looks the same colour as hps

Heres the bulb information

PRODUCT FEATURES
More Information
Guarantee1 year
EOC75253100 929001220102
NameCorepro LED spot 3.5-35W GU10 827 36D
EAN8718696752531
Type of protectionIP20
DimmableNot dimmable
Avg. Lifespan15,000 hours
Beam width36º
Length in mm55
Diameter in mm50
Color Temperature2700K
Luminous flux (lm)255
Lumens per Watt (Lm/W)73
lamp colorExtra Warm White
lamp baseGU10
Voltage220-240V
Wattage3.5 watts
Replaces35 Watt
Color rendering (Ra)RA80
Energy labelA+
Energy label newG

I dont think transformer i have will be powerfull enough if its on one light. They say 3.5w on the bulbs i will get a screenshot of transformer when my phones charged
You can get a @Mars Hydro TS-1000 for around a $100 bucks it’s one of the best stater lights out there and if you want to upgrade it’s daisy chain able to other @Mars Hydro lights.

Heres the bulb information

PRODUCT FEATURES
More Information
Guarantee1 year
EOC75253100 929001220102
NameCorepro LED spot 3.5-35W GU10 827 36D
EAN8718696752531
Type of protectionIP20
DimmableNot dimmable
Avg. Lifespan15,000 hours
Beam width36º
Length in mm55
Diameter in mm50
Color Temperature2700K
Luminous flux (lm)255
Lumens per Watt (Lm/W)73
lamp colorExtra Warm White
lamp baseGU10
Voltage220-240V
Wattage3.5 watts
Replaces35 Watt
Color rendering (Ra)RA80
Energy labelA+
Energy label newG
3.5w 2700k bulbs won't do mate, even the 5600k bulb in my bathroom is 1100 lumens - look into it some more, there are plenty of other options
I know money is tight my friend, but you can get a half decent grow lamp for £30 on Zon/FleaBay
As SW said ^ it's not worth f'ing about wasting time on a false economy

can i put a plug on this light without blowing something its a ceiling light it has 5 led bulbs dont no the watt or anything about the bulbs i can get a pic of bulb if needed. I need it for seedling stage would i be able to use this for seedling stage. i also have a small 4 light one also i just found them in one of my sheds
WP_20220828_11_53_27_Pro - Copy.jpg
WP_20220828_11_54_56_Pro - Copy (2).jpg
Good day my friend. :ciao:
Have you had a chance to read this thread.
Be careful what ever you want.

Stay safe
Bill284 :cool:

Hi pal i dont have the money ive not been well for a long time i have hypermobile joints and the doctor thinks its also arthritis i have a 3 month sick note all i get is 200 pound a month i have a load of blood tests next week i think i might have to do it with my 250w hps as i have the electric but no money i done 3 autoflowers with hps last time i will start them in my tent.i also spoke to a neighbour who is a electrician he said i can plug the light straight to mains so i did and it works i did plug it in a surge protected extension just in case but if there useless i will use hps. i read up on the bulbs there 35w using 3.5w
I understand but I still feel that you will end up spending just as much money or more but getting less light that can actually be used by the plant.

As Roy says....
it's not worth f'ing about wasting time on a false economy
and I was a master of the false economy for many, many years in my youth.

3.5w 2700k bulbs won't do mate, even the 5600k bulb in my bathroom is 1100 lumens - look into it some more, there are plenty of other options
I know money is tight my friend, but you can get a half decent grow lamp for £30 on Zon/FleaBay
As SW said ^ it's not worth f'ing about wasting time on a false economy
Hi pal ive been looking my hps bulb is 2000k but dual spectrum the leds are 1250 lumens for all 5 i have 5 other leds 3 are 3000k 2 are 4000k. i see i need at least 2000 lumens a plant i was gona start in cups so its not a large span. im just going to use hps like last time thanks for advise ive learned something new as ive never looked at kelvins because i use dual spectrum usually i see 2700k is for flowering

Good day my friend. :ciao:
Have you had a chance to read this thread.
Be careful what ever you want.

Stay safe
Bill284 :cool:
This is what i use i will take a look at your post now pal thanks

Extension Lead 30m Heavy Duty Cable Reel, 4 Socket Cord Reel UK Plug Socket with Thermal Cut-Out Protection 13A Fused Plug
71uvosRAraL._AC_SX425_ - Copy.jpg

This is what i use i will take a look at your post now pal thanks

Extension Lead 30m Heavy Duty Cable Reel, 4 Socket Cord Reel UK Plug Socket with Thermal Cut-Out Protection 13A Fused Plug
71uvosRAraL._AC_SX425_ - Copy.jpg

You'll need to fully unwind that or the coil will get hot
Hope you get it sorted mate, let us know how you get on

I understand but I still feel that you will end up spending just as much money or more but getting less light that can actually be used by the plant.

As Roy says....

and I was a master of the false economy for many, many years in my youth.
I cant get the money for a light its literally impossible if i could buy one i would theres a hydroponic shop that sells them 5 mins away from me my health coach is applying for disability for me i had to stop working due to problems

Back
Top Bottom