Can pruning and spraying be done when the sun is directly on the plants?

Phillybonker

I've been looking at how vineyards and strawberry farms deal with botrytis and one of their things is to prune and spray when the sun is directly on their plants so it can dry out the pruning wounds and dry out the spray. They never spray when it is overcast or the plants are wet.

Now I know that cannabis plants aren't grape vines or strawberry plants so my question is; can pruning and spraying be done when the sun is directly on cannabis plants?

Pruning yes!, Spraying kind of depends on exactly what you're spraying. Anything with oil is a definite No! You need to look at the instrutions on what you're spraying, some say not to spray in the sunlight, others it's OK. Of course once in flower, try not to spray with anything!

I try and spray not during the hottest time of the day and will wait till they are shaded IF I spray outside at all.

I don't prune cannabis plants. If there are leaves the plant doesn't need she will self prune. If I need to take cuts for clones or trim out the lower stuff dont matter when you do it.

2 reasons for not pruning outside.

1) it usually doesn't matter so why stress the plant.
2) cutting the plant crates a wound that can be and entry path for pests or pathogens.

I've found that healthy plants outdoors I dont really need to do anything but make sure enough water. Nature has a way of balance that seems to work best outdoors and I rarely find any pests or disease outside.

Timing of foliar application can tied to the product they are using. For mold and PM I use sulfur either wetable or sulfur vaporizer.

For grapes they prune leaves to get more access for the sun to ripen the grapes more evenly and it promotes better air flow to avoid PM/Molds forming on the grapes.

Cannabis flowers don't need sun to ripen they need fan leaves to supply energy. They will form and grow perfectly fine under some big beautiful fan leaves. Those fans will drop off late in flower exposing the flowers.

I try and spray not during the hottest time of the day and will wait till they are shaded IF I spray outside at all.

I don't prune cannabis plants. If there are leaves the plant doesn't need she will self prune. If I need to take cuts for clones or trim out the lower stuff dont matter when you do it.

2 reasons for not pruning outside.

1) it usually doesn't matter so why stress the plant.
2) cutting the plant crates a wound that can be and entry path for pests or pathogens.

I've found that healthy plants outdoors I dont really need to do anything but make sure enough water. Nature has a way of balance that seems to work best outdoors and I rarely find any pests or disease outside.

Timing of foliar application can tied to the product they are using. For mold and PM I use sulfur either wetable or sulfur vaporizer.

For grapes they prune leaves to get more access for the sun to ripen the grapes more evenly and it promotes better air flow to avoid PM/Molds forming on the grapes.

Cannabis flowers don't need sun to ripen they need fan leaves to supply energy. They will form and grow perfectly fine under some big beautiful fan leaves. Those fans will drop off late in flower exposing the flowers.
It's real humid where I'm at so pruning and lollipopping is used to get air flow to the middle of the plant to remove any moisture/static air.

I had a number of plants in one location, I didn't prune one of the plants properly because it was always the last one to get done and sometimes I run out of time. It got wiped out by botyrtis. The other plants also got botrytis but not as badly. I can't conclusively say it was lack of pruning that cost me a one pound plant because there was other smaller factors that could have contributed to it's downfall but I will definitely be pruning on my next grow.

Just my 2 cents... As was said above, when spraying, depends on "What" you are spraying. I can see pruning for air flow with indoor grows is Reasonable/Understandable. However, outdoor grows, not needed as much and feel soil and nutes are more the focus.

Just my 2 cents... As was said above, when spraying, depends on "What" you are spraying. I can see pruning for air flow with indoor grows is Reasonable/Understandable. However, outdoor grows, not needed as much and feel soil and nutes are more the focus.
I usually use mineral oil + organic bug sprays. The mineral oil keeps the solution mix on the plants longer even after it rains. Keeps the bugs off for 7-8 days but without mineral oil it only keeps the bugs off for 4 days or even less if it rains. But it looks like I'll have to settle for just using organic bug spray without mineral oil.

The wet humid conditions here at 37° S are really punishing. Air flow to the middle of the plant isn't that important if you live in say Southern California or Mexico where it is dry and less humid, but try and picture cannabis plants living in 70%-80% humidity towards the end of bloom with the sky pissing on the plants every 3-4 days, overcast conditions three out of seven days of the week not allowing the buds to dry out. That's what I'm dealing with.

I usually use mineral oil + organic bug sprays. The mineral oil keeps the solution mix on the plants longer even after it rains. Keeps the bugs off for 7-8 days but without mineral oil it only keeps the bugs off for 4 days or even less if it rains. But it looks like I'll have to settle for just using organic bug spray without mineral oil.

The wet humid conditions here at 37° S are really punishing. Air flow to the middle of the plant isn't that important if you live in say Southern California or Mexico where it is dry and less humid, but try and picture cannabis plants living in 70%-80% humidity towards the end of bloom with the sky pissing on the plants every 3-4 days, overcast conditions three out of seven days of the week not allowing the buds to dry out. That's what I'm dealing with.
Your best approach for molds is to spray with wetable sulfur. Do it now before the flowers show.

Same conditions here in upstate NY. We live where its grey.

Try strains that are designed to withstand molds and PM outdoors. They are around.

Your best approach for molds is to spray with wetable sulfur. Do it now before the flowers show.

Same conditions here in upstate NY. We live where its grey.

Try strains that are designed to withstand molds and PM outdoors. They are around.
I'll give half the plants a spray with wetable sulfur and see if it makes a difference, Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom