Can I lollipop 1/3 of large plants all at once?

Phillybonker

I have some large outdoor plants and I'm wondering if it is best to lollipop 1/3 of the plant in two stages to minimize stress with a one week rest period in between?

Or can I lollipop 1/3 of the plant all at once?

The plants went into flowering one week ago, I wish I had of lollipopped in veg because now it is forecast to rain everyday and I know I won't have the sun to dry out pruning wounds to minimize the chance of botrytis entrying the plants.

I wouldnt lollipop in flower. Usually 10 days before flower ill lollipop.
You can definitely thin out the fans leaves in the middle of the plant. I dont mess with my outter fans. Really for me one lollipop before flower and taking off middle fans around 3 weeks in flower to help with my air circulation in the tent.
I wouldn't pull a 3rd off at one time. Good luck

I've always done it all at once & never had an issue. If you do it little by little you keep injuring your plant over & over & then it has to heal each time. I figure do it all at once so it can all heal in 1 week & get back to growing. If you just started flower a week ago you are still in the stretch & can still lollipop safely. I've done it several times without issue.

You can nibble away at it slowly each day but not a major chop.
Minor stressing in veg can cause a growth explosion. Stressing in flower can cause hermy. Not trimming may cause smaller buds and lower yield but hermy will lower your quality.

I don't want to lollipop when it is raining because of botrytis but I can't catch a break with the weather, it's been raining everyday for the past week and I've only got one week left before it is the third week of flowering so I got to do one big chop when I get a sunny day.

If you do it little by little you keep injuring your plant over & over & then it has to heal each time. I figure do it all at once so it can all heal in 1 week & get back to growing.
Yeah I'm of the same thinking. I transplanted and topped my plants at the exact same time for the same reason - so I only stress the plants once rather than twice. Everything went sweet as.

I have some large outdoor plants and I'm wondering if it is best to lollipop 1/3 of the plant in two stages to minimize stress with a one week rest period in between?

Or can I lollipop 1/3 of the plant all at once?

The plants went into flowering one week ago, I wish I had of lollipopped in veg because now it is forecast to rain everyday and I know I won't have the sun to dry out pruning wounds to minimize the chance of botrytis entrying the plants.

I can see a bit of a trim...but who lollipops outdoor plants?...I think you have been watching too many utube vids of folks doing that inside with huge yields...

I can see a bit of a trim...but who lollipops outdoor plants?...I think you have been watching too many utube vids of folks doing that inside with huge yields...
Sunlight can't always get to the bottom 1/3 of plants grown outdoors and the end result is low quality popcorn buds on the lower branches.

It's no fun manicuring popcorn buds which is what I did last season so that's why I want to lollipop my plants this season.

That is a hedge. Minor trimming would go un noticed. When you said lollipop I assume you were thinking to thin the undergrowth. No matter how gentile you trim lollipop would be too much.
I was going to remove all fan leaves and all growth from the lower 1/3 of the plants, not just thin it.

May be I should go for a more downsized plan like thin the lower 1/4.

Back
Top Bottom