Can You Fellow Growers Check My Setup

kimchikush

Hello all, first post and first grow.. shout out from socal!
i need your thoughts on my setup, will it work? wondering if this setup will heat up???
will be growing 2 plants

grow tent: 2.6x2.6x5 tent
light: apllo horticulture 400w mh/hps (accidently bought the non ventilated reflector) - wondering if i should upgrade to air cooled vented reflector
exhaust: vortex-s 6" 347 cfm fan
controller: 3 Amp Variac Variable Transformer, 300va Max, 0-130 Volt Output
carbon filter: 6"Height: 18"/ Carbon Height: 16" /Width: 10" /Carbon Thickness: 2" /Maximum Airflow: 400 CFM/ Carbon Volume: 804 Cubic Inches /Carbon Rating: RC-48 /Iodine Absorption: 1050mg/g
Intake: Passive with Oscillating fan
Soil: Fox farm ocean forest + happy frog + dolomite lime + perlite
Nutrients: will be going with the foxfarms trio
Temp/Hygrometer/ph/tds meters/ph up/down
seeds: royalqueen seeds
pots 5 gallon smart pots

would this set up be viable? :Namaste:

I'm in the same spot as you, first setup etc.
IMO go air cooled reflector. Small space could get hot with a 400w non-air cooled. For my setup I ruled out all non-air cooled 400w lights, but my tent is smaller 2x2x4.5.

I'd go air cooled and dim-able. The reason is you have more control over the environment. If plants are getting cooked turn up fan speed. If fan maxed, or too loud dim the light a little. It just seems a good way to go.

thanks for such quick replies. my ballast is dimmable by 50% 75% and 100% if thats what you guys mean.
I figured i'd have to buy the air cooled reflector.. im upset i bought the wrong reflector :phew:

Are you dead set on using HID's? It would be easiest to just get a 400W equivalent LED panel. Less electricity used, no bulbs to clean or worry about blowing up, no ballast or reflector required, temps at least 5 degrees cooler which also keeps humidity a little higher, offers full light spectrum as opposed to just a veg spectrum, and more. It would greatly reduce the hassle of trying to make an HID work in that environment imo

Pretty much so yea, my hid came in already.. Im most likely going to be using hid my first grow.
I was thinking adding maybe a ufo led or 2 with my 400 w led.

either one is good. mine is not the air cooled and I love it. heat is controlled from my input and exhaust not an issue.

Good input.

So what I'd do is start with the hood you bought. See how your temps are. If your temps are too hot then switch hoods, otherwise go for air cooled.

Be mindful about the height. If you're using 5 gal. you lose 12" just in the bucket. Another 12" for the light itself and 12" for distance away from plants. That's 3' of the 5' you have! That is going to cause you a problem. Don't mean to be so negative but I think you'll have some issues with a normal grow? Perhaps you should consider a SOG or SCROG. I think this may be the way to go. Just something to think about. Good luck and happy growing! Keep us informed.....

Be mindful about the height. If you're using 5 gal. you lose 12" just in the bucket. Another 12" for the light itself and 12" for distance away from plants. That's 3' of the 5' you have! That is going to cause you a problem. Don't mean to be so negative but I think you'll have some issues with a normal grow? Perhaps you should consider a SOG or SCROG. I think this may be the way to go. Just something to think about. Good luck and happy growing! Keep us informed.....

Very good point! i havent even though about dimensions of the pots and lighting. I appreciate the post and do not take your point negative. i will be looking into sog and scrog and will def keep everyone updated once all my equipment ships in :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom