Can you use vitamin capsules mixed with water for plant nutrients

BUbbatlater

I was wondering if you could break open like magnesium capsules and others and add the powder to water and mix well and use as ur own nutrients

Probably cost more than just buying a reasonably priced nutrient that is meant to be used on plants, lol.

But some people used to take a multivitamin early in the morning, have some water, wait... and then urinate into a gallon jug, fill it the rest of the way up with water, and pour it onto their plants :rolleyes: .

Magnesium sulfate (aka Epsom salt) is a good Mg supplement. Calcium nitrate can be found at many (most?) plant nurseries / garden centers, and probably all farm/feed and "old-fashioned" hardware stores - and many will sell you a pound for next to nothing, or even a quarter-pound. I'm not really a fan of the company (since it has been bought out), but General Hydroponics Maxi series (MaxiGro and MaxiBloom) can be purchased in 2.2-pound bags pretty cheaply (and goes a long way), and is a decent dry nutrient product. The Jack's brand of dry nutrients is also quite reasonable, although probably not quite as cheap as the General Hydroponics dry nutrients. The Jack's 5-12-26, in combination with calcium nitrate, has been used to grow cannabis for quite some time. Osmocote Plus (again, don't like the company but the product is okay) can work well, is cheap, goes a long way, and you might be able to find either the small plastic container or a larger sack of the stuff at a deep discount this time of year in a local department store. Et cetera. Not only do all of these (along with many, many more) have the advantages of having been made for use on plants and of being chelated & in a form that the plants can use... they have also all been used many times in cannabis grows, lol - so a little web-searching (or right here on the forum) can generally get you feeding advice for those products.

If all else fails, spend a few minutes creating a polite "form letter" email in which you state that you've heard or read that {product} works well, but are not currently at liberty to purchase it in order to see if it will perform for you. Then send it to the contact addresses of... IDK, ten different nutrient companies, making sure to use their products for {product}. It is up to you whether you state what brand and products you are currently using (or even just pick a competitor's brand, I suppose). If you happen to have an issue and have some reason to believe that the company you are contacting offers a product that will deal with said issue, feel free to mention your issue and whichever product(s) they sell that you are interested in. Remember to be courteous; this works much better than the alternative ("Hey, give me some free stuff..." :rolleyes: ) . I would be surprised if, out of ten companies that you contact, at least a couple of them don't offer to send you a sample of something to try. I was once without any nutrients, did this, and was sent products from something like four out of the six companies that I contacted. One lady told me to pick a few products from a list, one told me that they didn't have any samples (I do not recall if they meant "ever" or just at that time), but since I was so interested in trying her company's stuff, she'd be happy to box up what they were using for their office plants, lol, if I wouldn't mind receiving products that had already been opened. I told her that would be great, thanked her - and she sent them with two-day shipping! I remember that I received a five-pound sack of a dry nutrient that was at least 3/4 full and five or so quart bottles that all looked like they'd had a few teaspoons out. When I opened the box, I saw that she had taped the sack shut, placed it into a heavy duty trash bag and tied that shut, then taped each bottle's lid onto the bottle and stuck them into individual Ziploc freezer(?) bags. I don't remember which company that was, but I do recall her title at the company... it was "president" (go figure ;) ).

That doesn't always work, of course; one company representative told me that they didn't send samples to individuals but offered to stick my name on a few of the ones that they routinely sent to grow shops if I'd like to tell him what the nearest one was (that nearest one was a three hour drive, so I politely declined). Another rep did the same thing, but when I explained that there was no nearby indoor gardening store, he then sent me a care package set of samples. Fox Farm's rep invited me to fly across the country to attend some expo or other, where he'd be happy to give me some samples. As he didn't offer to send a plane ticket, I declined that offer, too.

That reminds me - I think I still have some DNF base nutrients around here somewhere (I ended up not needing them, gave them away, and they got returned to me later on). They're "synthetic" (no living or dead animals in the bottles), so I imagine they're still usable. Might end up trying them... This Autumn, maybe, IDK. For once, I'm pretty well covered when it comes to nutrients.

Back
Top Bottom