can you veg to long?

Red-Cricket

Hey All. What are the Pro's & Con"s of vegging to long indoors. Im growing in a garage with day temps about 55 and lows getting in the low 30's. Im vegging 24/0 so temps are staying about 65-70. Kinda worried when flowering comes and lights are on only 1/2 of the time. Any suggestions on growing in a cold enviorment? Working on putting natural gas in garage but want to veg until it gets going. Maybe 1-2 weeks. Thanks All Red

Sure, plants can stay in veg for years. That's the whole process in keeping mother plants. You keep them in veg and take clones from them as time passes by. Sometimes, the plants will flower regardless for many different reasons. You'll just have to deal.

As far as the cold is concerned, you're shit outta luck. I don't know what the specific lower limit is for plant growth to stop or plant death. But, I do know that around 65F may cause the plant to purple (a little trick indoor growers use to make fake purple) and 32F is the freezing point of water. Also, large temperature swings can make the plant hermie or have man parts along with girl parts lol.

But, as you suggested, if you can keep it lit 24/0 til the heat arrives, you're good to go. But, that's going to kill you on heating bills down the line - natural gas i mean. Doesn't sound like the garage is insulated which is really what you may need to consider over all.

Make sure you top your plants since you have the extra veg time. Look up LST, topping, and supercropping. Basically, you'd be bonsai-ing your plant so the light can get to all parts of the plant and you can get more bud overall. This is how folks grow in tight spaces like PC cases. It's a good skill set to learn to go bigger even if you do have enough space overall.

i had a problem with my plants getting to cold inside which stunted the growth. something that my local hydro guy said was (and sorry about the temps being in C) was that plants stop growing under 18 C. and mine were getting to below 14 some nights. something to take into thought would be when you cut your lights back have the lights running during the night when the weather is normally cooler. also reptile heat lamps worked for me. i had the plants sitting on milk creates and the reptile heat lamps under the plants and it now keeps them cosy warm around 22C during even the coldest nights.
Good luck with it.

Back
Top Bottom