Cannabis etiquette?

^ everyone says that, dont kno how true it is, but i do kinda feel higher after smoking a cig. but, in our groups, nobody but nobody can light a cigarette while smoking weed. it just cant happen.

When I was in Istanbul I observed an unusual etiquette among a group of smokers that I found fascinating. The group of smokers was made up of Turks, Pakistanis and an Iranian. The way it worked was that the provider of the hash to be smoked would pass the hash to a member of the group to spin up into a spliff. The gesture of passing the hash over was considered the bestowing of honour and recognition of trust from the group. The person who did the rolling would then pass the unlit spliff back to the provider of the hash who would then pass it to another person who would do the ceremonial lighting of the spliff (another honour bestowed). Once the spliff had been lit, it would then be passed back to the provider of the hash before being passed around the group for a general session. I was impressed by the reverence of the act and how kindness and trust could be rewarded in a subtle yet significant way. There was none of the "me first" or "don't hog the spliff" going on. Even though it was just a social gathering, there was respect for each other and a spiritual guide for consumption.
I was wondering if anyone else out there has had experience with similar herb etiquette. I find the idea of herb etiquette refreshing in a world where the individual often puts himself first before others and overlooks the spiritual aspect of getting high. Others before self - sounds good eh!!!
way back in the '60's if my memory serves me it seemed that sometimes it was ceremonial in a way. people were trying to expand and tribalism was sorta happening. of course most of the time it was "i've got some pot lets get stoned."

now days whoever is providing the smoke will usually roll it or fill it and then pass it to the left. sometimes they feel like giving to someone for what ever reason and they do that. we seem to always end up passing clockwise. no rules, it just seems like the way to do it.

if it is kind weed i always try to quarter hit it. but i'm old school and when i get stoned i sometimes regress. if it bothers someone i count on them to remind me. we have a friend named nina who has a really bad habit of talking and holding the pot. when she's not around and someone does that its called pulllin' a nina. "if i need a pot holder i'll go to the dollar store and buy one."

even though i'm an athiest i find that ritual is very good at moving your mind to a good place. the tribal vibe is very nice too. you dead heads know what i mean. i do believe in a collective psyche and non-verbal communication. when you get all the pieces it the right places the world is a good place to be.

yes i'm high and have happy fingers :cheesygrinsmiley:

I'm inclined to give User 1st hit...then Lord Smoking Moose and free fall from there... I have 2 chambers ready to pack for my Volcano...a 2nd bag is all that is needed to let the GOOD TIMES ROLL...:laughtwo:

At my house , guests always get 1st hit if it's a bowl , their own joint if I'm rolling and also decide when the session is over .

Two Standard Rules (With Breakdown):

1)If its your house, you decide where, and you also decide when the pot should be smoked, cant be dis-respecting anyone's home now can you?

2)If its your pot you decide the rest of the rules,
-whether its roller lights as you may delegate your rolling job to a more experienced roller, or you light cuz dammit its your pot :p
-whether you pass to other you have put in, possibly in order of money put into the bag of dope
-whether suppliers of other goods ie rizzla, tobacco, bong, pipe, munchies get a higher place in the order
-also to announce the game to be played
-2/3/4 burn pass
-gridlock (also know as Indians, traffic lights etc)
-or just a calm ave a few burn n pass wen ye feel it is appropriate

Amazing to see the rituals that have evolved among the people here. We have never really discussed this and it seems to just be common sense growing out of courtesy. The ritual in Turkey described by smokin.moose is a beautiful thing. We always quarter the bowl and it will be given to the lady to light if there is one. If not I will give it to someone else to light. We try to keep passing left, but that doesn't always work out, especially towards the end, and it's no big deal.

However you do it, carry on!

I think there is an etiquette to handling another person's buds. Too often I have shown a choice bud to a mate and had them bruise the bud by squeezing or pulling it apart. Another thing I hate to see is a presentation bag of buds being jammed up in your pocket. I go to a lot of time in the presentation of my weed and I think it only polite that people treat my weed with appropriate respect.

I think there is an etiquette to handling another person's buds. Too often I have shown a choice bud to a mate and had them bruise the bud by squeezing or pulling it apart. Another thing I hate to see is a presentation bag of buds being jammed up in your pocket. I go to a lot of time in the presentation of my weed and I think it only polite that people treat my weed with appropriate respect.

G'day Lord Moose,

May I fondle & abuse your prize bud? I have a real need to pull your prize bud apart to check for appropriate drying & curing...also, may I jam that beautiful bag of buds into my too tight jeans to practice for a police pull over:15: :smokin:

Back
Top Bottom