CBD and blood thinners

jimbritt

420 Member
I had a stent put in 9 months ago. I am on a blood thinner for, one doc says the rest of my life, the other says he's not sure and the other says one year. I am going with the year...or maybe less. I started taking CBD oil about month ago and now I hear that I should not be taking it with a blood thinner. Is that a problem? Or even moreso can I take the CBD now instead of my blood thinner...or can i safely stop the blood thinner. Im in great health and physically fit with a great diet and exercise.

Have you been told not to eat grapefruit with any of your mediations? If so grapefruit does the exact same thing CBD does in your liver to the medications you take and basically render them useless. Be VERY careful taking CBD in combination with any drug or even supplement. CBD can have very dramatic effects on the breakdown and absorption of other medications. Please do your research and make sure you're not hurting yourself more than helping yourself. You may find you can't take CBD with your medication or it may simply be a matter of taking it at a different time. Good luck!

Jim I would have to agree with @TheDarkMidge . I am no medical professional, but if it were me in your situation I would be consulting a pharmacist at least or better yet a cardiac physician. Having a stent in place is a major deal and those thinners are keeping the platelets from catching and clogging it back up. Sounds like stopping the thinners would be a major health risk I would not be taking . Just my .02$

Jim, while I'm new to this site and definitely not a medical pro I also had a heart attack (2013) and 4 stents currently in my heart. I was on a blood thinner (Byrlinta) for 12 months (13 cause I finished the last Rx) and I know the recommendation is 12 months and take you off it. I'm fit, active and have "low" blood pressure all my life. My negatives were a high stress job for 35 years and as one nurse explained to me maybe normal cholesterol levels, which I had pre-heart event, were not good enough for me. Blessed to have been to a superb cardiac rehab unit and began to seriously take up cooking to improve my heart health on that front. Cardiac patient target cholesterol levels are roughly 50% lower than for average/normal patients and I'm well below those targets so my GP cut my Lipitor dose in half 2 years ago. This is the first I've heard of CBD oil counteracting other meds. I will consult my cardiologist but have to get his attention hasn't seen me in nearly 3 years and looks like the paperboy so I don't know if he (or most) cardiologists have any reference points or studies or even anecdotal reports on this. My wife is very much into CBD oil for pain management but also cannot take grapefruit because of meds she is on. Will also discuss with pharmacist as we have gone to same one for 20+ years and they have more knowledge than most Dr's about side effects. Good luck and will try and let you know if I find out anything.

My experience was that I took a little too much CBD. You can't OD on it but I took more by accident than I was supposed too. The next day I had zappy feelings throughout my body and felt weird. After researching a bit I discovered that CBD is like grapefruit in that it messes with other medications being absorbed or used correctly. The weird feeling I had was from the duxoline I take. If I don't take it for several days I get that feeling. In this case I had taken it every day but the CBD blocked it to such an extent it was if I hadn't taken it for several days. As soon as I got home from work I took my duxoline and the issue went away. I experienced it first hand and researched it first hand. I can also tell you that the surgeons that have performed my step daughter's second liver transplant have stated she is not to smoke pot or take CBD under any circumstances and the reason why is it will block her immuniosuppressent drugs. I doubt CBD is going to interfere with every drug but the potential exists and a person needs to be informed about it.

Jim, Be nice to know you're still alive and what's going on with you and what you found out or decided to do in regards to the CBD.

Back
Top Bottom