Cedar Chips in grow tent

YungDekkerdik

420 Member
I’ve seen posts of people using cedar chips as mulch, and even used it in their grow medium, I was taught how to grow by an old head and he used only natural or organic things when growing cannabis. My largest plants are almost 3 weeks and starting to smell, I live on in a Apt ina small southern town so smell is something I have to be cautious of, instead of the cedar being in or on my pots it’s under it and used as a bedding. Repels insects and give your place a nice earthy smell, guests wont expect anything.

Unless you are growing strains known for being "low odor" or, alternatively, growing ones that have an odor that might be confused for flowers, incense, et cetera... I suspect that you'll find later in your grow that the smell of growing cannabis will be detectable.

I once "stank up" the building that my apartment was in :rolleyes: . According to the LEO (good ol' boy, thankfully) who figuratively gnawed a considerable portion of my hind end off during the telling off I received, there was also enough odor in the parking lot that his K9 noticed every Sunday morning when he stopped in to buy a newspaper.

Me, I was pretty much clueless, because I was living with the plants. (I guess that's how stinky people manage to live with themselves, lol.) Sure, I'd notice upon entry, but then I'd adjust the thermostat, the central air would kick on (aiding in the distribution of the scent, LMAO), and soon afterwards I'd stop noticing it. Other people, not having jungles in their apartment... noticed.

If I were you, I'd be more worried about the other residents in your building than your guests. Presumably, you can control the entry of the latter.

Unless you are growing strains known for being "low odor" or, alternatively, growing ones that have an odor that might be confused for flowers, incense, et cetera... I suspect that you'll find later in your grow that the smell of growing cannabis will be detectable.

I once "stank up" the building that my apartment was in :rolleyes: . According to the LEO (good ol' boy, thankfully) who figuratively gnawed a considerable portion of my hind end off during the telling off I received, there was also enough odor in the parking lot that his K9 noticed every Sunday morning when he stopped in to buy a newspaper.

Me, I was pretty much clueless, because I was living with the plants. (I guess that's how stinky people manage to live with themselves, lol.) Sure, I'd notice upon entry, but then I'd adjust the thermostat, the central air would kick on (aiding in the distribution of the scent, LMAO), and soon afterwards I'd stop noticing it. Other people, not having jungles in their apartment... noticed.

If I were you, I'd be more worried about the other residents in your building than your guests. Presumably, you can control the entry of the latter.
If I was on any larger scale than I am I would be extremely worried, as of right now I’m working with 5 plants and the cedar chips have almost eliminated the gnats.
Also I would like to point out that I thought this plant would be far too young to be smelling like anything much less smelling like DANK

Without having seen your grow, I'll have to take your word for it about the size. Five plants could conceivably fit within one square foot of space - or fill a small room.

I wish you the best, I just wonder if you'll be producing a great deal more odor in the future with those plants than you are now.

Without having seen your grow, I'll have to take your word for it about the size. Five plants could conceivably fit within one square foot of space - or fill a small room.

I wish you the best, I just wonder if you'll be producing a great deal more odor in the future with those plants than you are now.
413C7ACF-AB63-4516-B744-A4273CAD864D.jpeg
This one in the orange bucket is the one that smells the worst. Also showing deep purple on stems.
413C7ACF-AB63-4516-B744-A4273CAD864D.jpeg
566EC036-BEB9-49A0-9598-1EE0BAE03830.jpeg25F642B2-565E-4530-BCA1-E670972B20BB.jpegDD11FA1F-0884-43D7-A9BF-E875F2C856D6.jpeg All of these along with 2 other blue dream seedlings.

I agree with @TorturedSoul

I live in a legal state, but apartment rules prohibit growing. I use a carbon filter for my tent, but when I take even one plant out of the tent for inspection, my entire place stinks for awhile. Then there is trimming/harvest day where I have to shut every window/door and hope the smell doesn't leak too bad, but it always does.

Nobody is knocking your cedar chips, an old head recommended them to me for mite/pest prevention as well. But even I, in the beginning, underestimated the odor problem. My house, without a carbon filter, smells like a commercial grow operation.

Your plants are real nice looking, but nobody here wants to see you have the kind of problems that don't go away....
Peace :rollit:

I agree with @TorturedSoul

I live in a legal state, but apartment rules prohibit growing. I use a carbon filter for my tent, but when I take even one plant out of the tent for inspection, my entire place stinks for awhile. Then there is trimming/harvest day where I have to shut every window/door and hope the smell doesn't leak too bad, but it always does.

Nobody is knocking your cedar chips, an old head recommended them to me for mite/pest prevention as well. But even I, in the beginning, underestimated the odor problem. My house, without a carbon filter, smells like a commercial grow operation.

Your plants are real nice looking, but nobody here wants to see you have the kind of problems that don't go away....
Peace :rollit:
Thanks for the feedback and yeah lol I just popped open the tent and got smacked with the smell of dank. I thought I was onto something I guess not. Got rid of all my bugs thankfully.

Thanks for the feedback and yeah lol I just popped open the tent and got smacked with the smell of dank. I thought I was onto something I guess not. Got rid of all my bugs thankfully.
No bugs is a great start... I wish that I would have used cedar back when I was in dirt. Bugs are what made me change to Hempy and Maxibloom. I gave up the fight. Lol.

Back
Top Bottom