Change water without harming roots

I'll be suprised if the roots are going to be damaged by some light for a short period of time..

But I'm not sure and if you want to be on the safe side why not just do it in the dark?! Or in a green light?

cool thx. jus wasnt sure if even the slightest bit would do anything. 1st time for me and im not sure about nutrients or how to add them. Can you help?

Mats is right. A little bit of time in light won't hurt the roots. Once a week I pull the reservoirs out and let the roots hang in the air, while I clean the tubs. They stay out between 30 minutes to an hour. Never a problem. One forum member gone now (Tulip) thought they liked getting out once in awhile.

PrairiePoet answered the roots/light question perfectly, but about the nutrients, i start after 2 weeks, only use sometimes a quarter to a half dose when they are small, then gradually increase as the plants see fit.

When I change my res, I have a second bucket filled w/ ph water that I set the roots in while I clean. This will flush some salts away from roots.

Thanks for the tips. I changed my water last night cuz I already added ferts. Now theres just plain tap water with some ph down to keep it around 5.7 Ill get pics up soon

0316021012.jpg

Should I move my lights further away to encourage stem growth?

thx prairie i will. Can i cover the whole top with mylar?

I would try to use something that isn't reflective. The reason is not to reflect light back under the leaves. They won't use that light.

You might also want to look into insulating the reservoir. That will help keep it cooler, you don't want the temps in the reservoir to go much above 68F.

if you check out "roots air bath" it suggests your plants roots acutally enjoy being out and about for an air bath now any then, when in dwc. and up to an hour of light shuldnt have any ill effects whatsoever, just try not to blast them with a 1000 watt hid, lol.

do you have any slime yet? if so... you need to fix that ASAP.

anyways, as far the res goes for keeping cool, you can add water bottles full of ice, you can buy a chiller(very expensive) you can use a cooler for your res, and again, add ice bottles. or even cut a some foam and wrap it around the tub.

if you have access to a cement floor, placing your res on the cement floor will help draw heat out too.

if you cant bring it down enough... i would consider looking into beneficial bacteria tea to add to your res, this allows you to hit higher temps, and still keep your res slime free.

no slime i think. i ordered a large flexible cooler i can cover my res but till then i put 2 freeze pads in a ziplock bag n threw it in and I have two bottles of water in the freezer now. Thanks a lot nibec

you'll have to switch them out fairly often... but its better than nothing, and should bring it down 5-8 degrees.

good luck :)

Back
Top Bottom