Church of the Universe Ruling Is A Slippery Slope For All Religions

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
I have to admit, the court limiting the right of the Church of the Universe to traffic cannabis makes sense – at first.

From a secular, legal point of view, pot is a controlled substance and freedom of religion certainly doesn't give a church the right to break the law.

However, let's look from a secular, legal point of view at another church. The Catholic Church, among many others, serves wine. They may call it "the blood of Jesus," but legally speaking, it's wine. There are all sorts of laws in this country that make alcohol a controlled substance. By saying the Church of the Universe doesn't have the right to cannabis through freedom of religion, the court has opened the door for the same to be said of the right of Catholics to their wine.

Today, it's the Church of the Universe not being allowed to smoke pot, tomorrow it could be Catholic churches having to hire bouncers to check IDs at the door – no one under 19 allowed in. This is a dangerous slippery slope, and an attack on all religion (and coming from an atheist, that's saying a lot).

NewsHawk: Jim Behr: 420 MAGAZINE
Source: thespec.com
Author: Jeremy Deeks
Copyright: 2011 Metroland
Website: TheSpec - Church of the Universe ruling is a slippery slope for...

I'm sorry, but I disagree. The Holy Bible and this nations first Amendment give us the right to worship God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and in this case, the Truth. It's not our fault the churches today are literally and Biblically, opposed to or against, anointed/antichrist.
The True Christ cures cancer, promotes the growth of brain cells, inhibits the plaque that causes Alzheimer's, kills deadly MRSA, and safely treats many, many, diseases,....... feeds the hungry with a seed that is the most nutritionally complete food source on earth, and can produce anything made from oil, coal, timber, or cotton, ecologically friendly!!!

In 1936 a Polish Anthropologist named Sula Benet discovered that in the original Hebrew text of the Old Testament the word "kaneh bosm"(קְנֵה-בֹשֶׂם) was translated as "calamus" or fragrant cane by the Greeks when they first rendered the Books in the 3rd century B.C., then propagated as such in all future translations from the original Greek without review, including Martin Luthers. During that same time period Hebrew slowly ceased to be used as a spoken language. It wasn't until the late 1800's that a man named Eliezer Ben-Yehuda revived it once again. Benet concluded through years of substantial research and etymological comparison that the correct translation of "kaneh bosm" should be "cannabis." In 1980 the Hebrew Institute of Jerusalem confirmed her claim that indeed "kaneh bosm" is cannabis. Ben-Yehuda's 1964 Hebrew-English dictionary confirms this fact, page 140. The Biblical "Canon," from the Greek "Kanon," meaning; "to measure, to rule, straight, upright," is also derived from the Hebrew word "kaneh"(קְנֵה). In fact we now know that all early religions used cannabis and, or, other psychotropic plants as sacraments. Calamus was used by ancient peoples and still today as an aphrodisiac and stimulant, its active chemical asarone is a precursor to the psychedelic MDMA, ecstasy.

In Exodus 30:23 GOD instructs Moses to use 250 shekels of "kaneh bosm" in the oil for anointing all Priests, and later Kings and Prophets, for all generations to come, including that of Jesus and even today as the title Christ/Messiah means literally; "covered in oil, Anointed." "Kaneh" is also listed as an incense tree in Song of Songs 4:14. The error was repeated in Isaiah 43:24, Jeremiah 6:20, and Ezekiel 27:19, where "kaneh, kaneh bosm" are translated as calamus or sweet cane. There are 141 references to the anointing and 145 to burning incense in the standard Bible.

Much has been learned regarding the role of cannabis and human development since Benet discovered the error over seventy years ago, and with these revelations along with the discovery of the Dead Sea Scrolls, Nag Hammadi Library, certain Apocrypha, and a closer examination of the Bible, we find that in order to be called worthy of the title "Christian" one has to be anointed with the very Holy Oil as described in the original Hebrew text of Exodus. Johns water baptism is incomplete and any other oil counterfeit. Jesus came to free the restricted Holy Oil and make Anointed Priests of all men with ears to hear his message, baptizing with fire and the Holy Spirit, the "Chrism." The Anointing is symbolic of being baptized in the "Holy Spirit." It is synonymous with the Laying on of hands and also called the Seal, Unction, and Counselor. It is "the Way." Under the old covenant Priests were ordained to stand between God and the people, Jesus died so that all believers could become Anointed Priests before the Lord. A chosen people, a royal Priesthood, a Holy nation. Ex 40:12-16, 1 Peter 2:4-10, Rev 1:6, 5:10, 20:6.

Cyril of Jerusalem;
For as Christ after His Baptism, and the visitation of the Holy Ghost, went
forth and vanquished the adversary, so likewise ye, after Holy Baptism and
the Mystical Chrism, having put on the whole armour of the Holy Ghost, are
to stand against the power of the adversary, and vanquish it, saying, I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
"Having been counted worthy of this Holy Chrism, ye are called Christians,
verifying the name also by your new birth. For before you were deemed worthy
of this grace, ye had properly no right to this title, but were advancing on
your way towards being Christians."
Having been anointed, therefore, with this holy ointment, keep it unspotted
and unblemished in you, pressing forward by good works, and being made
well-pleasing to the Captain of your salvation, Christ Jesus, to whom be
glory for ever and ever. Amen.

This isn't the slippery slope, but the narrow gate.
The leaves of the Tree are for the healing of the nations. No longer ............

This is a dangerous slippery slope, and an attack on all religion

The article is saying that the courts are being hypocritical toward the sacrament of cannabis.

You've written a two-fer: a red herring and a non sequitur in one short article.

When referring to marijuana, the word "controlled" is defined by Title II of the Federal Register in the Comprehensive Drug Abuse Prevention and Control Act of 1970, which is revised regularly (too often in my opinion).

Controlled substances fall under 5 categories according to the 1970 Act, known as Schedules. Marijuana (Marihuana) is classified as a Schedule I controlled substance. Here's the definition of a Schedule I controlled substance according to the Act:

(1) Schedule I. -

* (A) The drug or other substance has a high potential for abuse.
* (B) The drug or other substance has no currently accepted medical use in treatment in the United States.
* (C) There is a lack of accepted safety for use of the drug or other substance under medical supervision.

Notice part B. Here's our challenge -- to convince our government that MMJ has a legitimate use for some in the control of medical conditions like chronic pain, the treatment of the nauseating side effects of other medications, and as an appetite stimulant, to mention a few.

Ethyl alcohol is not listed as a controlled substance in the Act, meaning that it does not appear in the lists which define the substances in each Schedule of control in the 1970 Act. It is therefore not a controlled substance.

Alcoholic beverages requires no prescription, and it do not treat any medical problem as far as I know. It is used in many over the counter remedies, and 90% ethyl alcohol is an excellent surface disinfectant, used in operating rooms the world over.

Alcohol is regulated by state agencies, and it is taxed via federal agencies. It is not regulated by the DEA.

So, what is the relevance in the practice of the Roman Catholic Church and many other Christian denominations which use wine as a sacrament, to the MMJ movement?

Many substances are regulated -- explosives, gamma ray emitters, corrosives, poisons, etc. Are they "controlled" substances? No, not according to the Comprehensive Drug Abuse Prevention and Control Act of 1970. Should we bring these into the argument?

I do not see the relevancy here. The use of wine as a sacrament is a red herring vis-a-vis the MMJ issue, and this article is therefore a non sequitur. How does it server our cause?

Here's the real issue -- are you on the MMJ bus or do you just want to get high? Frankly, the primary reason MMJ is controversial is due to the lotus eaters who just want to get high. Most Americans have shown at the polls that they want those in need of MMJ to have access. However, they do not want a drugged youth culture.

If this issue is not clarified in forums like this website, MMJ will never get anywhere.

As was the case during the 1990s in the fight for chronic pain sufferers to obtain access to opiate palliatives, it's the majority of abusers, i.e., those who just want to get high, that make life difficult for those who suffer from chronic pain and have a legitimate need for the medication.

To quote a great union organizer of the 1930's, Florence Reece:

"Which side are you on boys,
Which side are you on?"

You've written a two-fer: a red herring and a non sequitur in one short article....
I didn't write it (see citing information below the article). By using the links your able to reply directly to the author. Not that you aren't welcome to reply here.

....If this issue is not clarified in forums like this website, MMJ will never get anywhere.......
Hence your ability to reply. Thank you for the clarification.

We post articles from countless sources and from many viewpoints. Its up to our members to decide for themselves the truth/worth of them.

...So, what is the relevance in the practice of the Roman Catholic Church and many other Christian denominations which use wine as a sacrament, to the MMJ movement?...
I don't see any mention of MMJ in the original article, only in replies. The point of the article is religious freedom and the use of Cannabis as a sacrament. If it were a MMJ focused article it would also be found in the Medical Marijuana News, which its not.

I didn't write it (see citing information below the article). By using the links your able to reply directly to the author. Not that you aren't welcome to reply here.

Hence your ability to reply. Thank you for the clarification.

We post articles from countless sources and from many viewpoints. Its up to our members to decide for themselves the truth/worth of them.

I don't see any mention of MMJ in the original article, only in replies. The point of the article is religious freedom and the use of Cannabis as a sacrament. If it were a MMJ focused article it would also be found in the Medical Marijuana News, which its not.

Thanks Jim,

I realize you didn't write it, and was replying to the author and the universe at large.

What I didn't add is a discussion of the futile attempts of certain "American Indian" groups claim in earlier years to use peyote in their "religious" ceremonies. It is another example of the many abusers taking advantage of the inalienable rights of the few, and making a pigs breakfast out of the resulting legal battles that followed.

By the way, I appreciate your work Jim, and I want you to know that I meant no attack upon you with my comment.

best wishes,

-- ip

I don't take things personally. Just a matter of how one reads a tone of voice :cool: I always assume a friendly tone unless the words leave me no choice. On some occasions I've actually imagined posts being sung.

We can't discuss those other substances used by Native peoples.

I don't think its the job of government to decide what anyone can put in their own bodies religiously or otherwise.

I don't think its the job of government to decide what anyone can put in their own bodies religiously or otherwise.

Can I get an amen for Brother Jim!!!

I don't take things personally. Just a matter of how one reads a tone of voice :cool: I always assume a friendly tone unless the words leave me no choice. On some occasions I've actually imagined posts being sung.

We can't discuss those other substances used by Native peoples.

Jim,

Good.

I realize that my rhetoric can sting. Maybe it comes with age? Raising teenagers gives one a highly attuned BS detector.

As for your 2nd issue, I understand.

I happen to agree with your final point, but people with our libertarian outlook are in the minority, and we have been betrayed by those of my generation who now claim they "didn't inhale". They've made the conscious decision to pursue money and power with their lives, and in doing so, ignore their earlier commitments to what they too may have once considered a basic human right -- freedom of one's own body.

So, I choose to work within the system. It's a good system, but it requires training, knowledge, a preponderance of clear thinking, and a great deal of patience.

I believe we both have a place in this fight. Keep up the good work.

Back
Top Bottom