Cloning, easy as 1...2...3

Let me start this thread off with a disclosure :tokin:

I'm not knocking any cloning method out there, nor am I saying this is the best way to go about cloning for everyone. I just find it to be one of the cheapest and easiest ways to clone on a small scale.

I researched a lot about cloning and the different ways to do it. I tried a few methods and wasted some hard earned cash doing so. Being a hobby grower growing my own medicine, I wanted a simple and effective way to take a few cuttings here and there for myself and a patient friend.

After getting the basics of cloning down and a few tries with different contraptions I stumbled across a series of videos on U tube that a grower had posted. That's when I realized ALL that information about cloning I read had me over thinking the whole thing :thedoubletake:

This is all you need to root cuttings​

cloning_123_002.jpg

Grodan or rockwool cubes, size of your choice
Plastic storage container, again whatever size you will need
Clonex or your choice of rooting gel
Clean razor blade or knife

Soak your cubes in 5.5 ph water for about 10 minutes​

cloning_123_001.jpg

Take your cutting with the clean knife, cut the stem at a 45* angle. Cut the tips of the fan leaves off, this keeps the cutting from transpiring moisture while its trying too root​

cloning_123_003.jpg

Take you clean knife and gently scrape some of the 'skin' off the stem​

cloning_123_004.jpg

cloning_123_005.jpg

Find something ideal to put some of the rooting gel in. I have this handy mini Steelers mug. GO STEELERS!​

cloning_123_006.jpg

Dip the cutting in the rooting gel​

cloning_123_007.jpg

cloning_123_008.jpg

I don't use the hole in the grodan. I like to find a firm spot for the fresh cutting.​
cloning_123_009.jpg

Mist the cutting and put just enough ph'd water in the container to wet the grodan. I ph around 5.8 for cuttings​
cloning_123_010.jpg

I keep them under 24 hour light using two 24" 6500k floro's in the closet​
cloning_123_014.jpg

When I get up in the morning I mist the cuttings, I get home from work I mist, and before bed I mist them. I don't use a humidity dome. When the grodan starts loosing its moisture I add just a little ph'd water. It's important not to soak the grodan or rockwool till its soggy, oxygen needs to be able to get to the stem.

I actually used a small plastic container until now. These are White Widow cuttings I took 14 days ago. I had two of these with six total cuttings, all six rooted.
cloning_123_011.jpg

cloning_123_013.jpg

cloning_123_012.jpg

That's it! No pumps, misters, large storage containers, plastic domes, etc. Best of all it's easy on the wallet. Hope this simplifies it for some like it did for me.

I'm looking at that Grodan oasis cubes . . .they look significantly different from the no-name cubes available in N.Z.. . .which I dont have a lot of luck with -they look like they r made of a spun fiberglass. I mite see if I can source some proper Growdan ones and see if things go better.

I take cuttings as per instructions, In a domed container and they get get moved close to light afta 3 or 4 days. . .They dont wilt, but a fortnight or so later, clones still looking good they pull straight out of the cubes with ZERO evidence of any rooting but the ends and where I've scrapped the side of the clone - a couple of mm - look like they have grown a groth over them like scar tissue. . .am I not getting them close to the lights soon enough perhaps?? I can take 10 clones and only 1 or 2 do the business Any Ideas ??

I'm looking at that Grodan oasis cubes . . .they look significantly different from the no-name cubes available in N.Z.. . .which I dont have a lot of luck with -they look like they r made of a spun fiberglass. I mite see if I can source some proper Growdan ones and see if things go better.

I take cuttings as per instructions, In a domed container and they get get moved close to light afta 3 or 4 days. . .They dont wilt, but a fortnight or so later, clones still looking good they pull straight out of the cubes with ZERO evidence of any rooting but the ends and where I've scrapped the side of the clone - a couple of mm - look like they have grown a groth over them like scar tissue. . .am I not getting them close to the lights soon enough perhaps?? I can take 10 clones and only 1 or 2 do the business Any Ideas ??

:welcome: How long are you giving them to root? Those roots took 14 days to appear out of the Grodan. The roots are very fragile and can rip right off of the stalk by pulling the cutting out of the rockwool. What type of light are you using? Clones don't need much light and are sensitive to light while trying to root.

sometimes they sit there for a month and nada. .I've tried em under flouro's and even near 400 MH ? HPS - tried both. . Yet I've got mates that dont even use a dome soak the crap outa the rockwool, - I do that they all rot.

How wet to the cubes need to be ??

Back
Top Bottom