Cloning fan leaf?

I don't know why the genetics would be different in a leaf. If it roots and gets neuts it should grow. But you should try cutting off about 60% of the leaf area. That way the energy will go to maintaining root growth, not tending to leaf health. Let the neuts come from the medium not the leaf. Anyway, that's the experiment I'm trying today. I have a variety from defoliation. I topped a couple nodes beneath a failed FIM, yes I missed the miss, and that's my healthiest clone so far. Just going for the tops won't build much of a clone army so I'm working other ideas. BTW I'm new and just trying to figure it out too.

Hey OG,

Welcome to forums at 420.

This is an old post from 2011, another grave digger from the new similar threads feature.

Because a fan leaf is just a petiole - that is a stem to support a single leaf....so even if it rooted then you would only have 1 single fan leaf growing - especially since there is no place for growth tips or a main stalk to sprout from. What would be the point since it can’t ever produce a full plant or buds?

If you want to clone a plant then take a proper cutting and get it rooted.

Yep. I had just finished an article the end of which mentioned this same "oddity" among a small handfull of other plants. Back to figuring out why my stem clones are yellowing (starting with N).

I did it once and the node grew four tops out of it immediately but then I gave the clone away so I don't know what happened to it in the rest of its life

I have some bubblegummer, C99, and C99 / Haze plant I started from seed. They are 5 weeks old and the secondary branches are just starting, not nearly long enough to clone. I want to flip them to 12 / 12 but I want clones 1st. Can I clone a fan leave? Sorry for asking I couldn't find this in any of the FAQ's
I’m surprise nobody research this before they change then. You can clone a plant off a fan leaf. There’s a couple different procedures and methods, and would be considered an advance method. But it involves taking the leaf slicing down the back stem on the bottom all the way down reading gel or powder carving a ditch out of the soil putting it in there out of V and leave it moist. If you just plan a family with routing gel or powder into street soil you can Grilli good root system the leaf gets a little bigger but I haven’t seen much else from that. I assume hydroponics would express the operation and maybe somebody can get a good result with that. I have seen buds grow out of the center of leaves... soo Maybe it’s possible but there are sources that say it is with proof

... and then what? :) No, in all honesty: The chances of just one fan leaf rooting and surviving are... small. I have read a lot about getting a fan leaf to root, but I have yet to see consistent results, a.k.a. "pics or it didn't happen". In theory, it can be done. In practise, it doesn't make much sense if you can take big, beautiful clones that dependably root given the right circumstances.
I know a guy that found a rooted leaf in his hydro systems but I never found out if he tried to continue growing it or not

Back
Top Bottom