Cloning for dummies: me being the dummy

Canachris

had small catastrophe. in my attempt at some high stress training I split a branch almost completely off. I doubt I can tie or tape her back together. so my only option may be to cut off that branch and clone it. she's been 12/12 for 8 day's now and has been producing preflowers for 2 weeks. I've attempted cloning many times in the past with very little success. I've braced the branch back in place and she's doing good so far , but that's not a long term solution. any and all suggestions comments are welcome.

IMG_20220318_170825031.jpg

IMG_20220318_134358284.jpg

IMG_20220318_134424328.jpg

Hey chris - you'd be surprised how tough these gals are - I've had major splits on stalks. It seems that the critical part is the "bark". If you can get it half assed together and tape it up - it might surprise you. I've used black electrical tape - it seems to mold around weird shapes.

ok, I'd rather take the chance keeping it in place than clone it. lights come on in a half hour an I'm gunna try electrical tape. if I can find it

ok, I'd rather take the chance keeping it in place than clone it. lights come on in a half hour an I'm gunna try electrical tape. if I can find it
Not much to worry about there. Fix it if you want. My only concern would be to keep the split from growing.

Tape it up if you want. I never have bothered. I will brace a branch sometimes by pushing a stake into the soil. I will tie off the branch so it does not move in the area of the break and get worse.

I was moving a larger sized cloned plant around the flower tent and did a major split right at the crotch where the largest side branch met the main stem. The plant was starting to get heavy with buds so I used two stakes, one for the branch and one to hold the other. Used some of the rubber coated wire and fastened them tight right up against the stake. Had about 4 more weeks to to harvest and figured that was enough repair work.

Stuff happens and it usually does not bother me. As it was I remembered that the split had happened but forgot what plant it was. When I was cutting the branches off at harvest I came to the wire and remembered. Another successful harvest.

If you cannot find electrical tape at any of the stores you could try ribbon like what is used on Christmas presents.

I have used duct tape, electrical tape, 14g electrical wire, garden velcro, a silk handkerchief ..... anything that can hold it without digging into it will work.
In my first grow, one of my plants split its main stem straight down to the soil, late in flower. I thought owell, that one is toast, and I just flopped it against the wall and left it because I had other things to do that day. Well, the plant never wilted or showed any obvious signs of distress, it just kept on growing, I was just unable to turn it around in place like I had been.

Back
Top Bottom