Cloning from plant at harvest?

d42zero

Hi,

I have three plants of the same strain, all of which grew quite differently despite similar growing conditions.... one of the plants has grwon INCREDIBLY thick, fat, crystally buds and the others are a bit more stretched and much much less sugary. I'd like to do another round of these plants, but I want to select the one that grew perfectly and keep it going.. unfortunately I took clones from all three plants but I didn't label them, so I have no idea which is which and one has died so there's a chance I've lost the clone of this one. There is one reason within my control that could explain the difference between the plants, but I got talking with someone the other day about phenotypes and how it can sometimes be a bit of a lucky dip, there was a little bro-science in the conversation but it made me think that I would really like to be able to clone the plant that did well so I know 100% that's what I've got on the next run through.

Can I 'monster crop' from a cutting taken right before (or at) harvest? I've found tutorials for monster cropping but they all talk about taking cuttings a few weeks into harvest and I am almost ready to harvest now (maybe a week away). Would the process be the same or is it not likely to work?

Thanks

leave lower popcorn buds and leaves and just reveg them is easiest. Just chuck them back to 18/6 when you got the buds you want, at least you know gor sure you got the right plant then.
Clone from that after reveg and keep as a mum....or make a clone a mum and dispose of revegged plant later.

Can take clones in flower, it works but take a lil longer to get going.

leave lower popcorn buds and leaves and just reveg them is easiest. Just chuck them back to 18/6 when you got the buds you want, at least you know gor sure you got the right plant then.
Clone from that after reveg and keep as a mum....or make a clone a mum and dispose of revegged plant later.

Can take clones in flower, it works but take a lil longer to get going.
This. Great answer!

That's genius, didn't think of that! I was always going to re-veg whatever I had then clone again to get two or three identical plants, so re-vegging the leftover trunk and a few lowers then taking cuttings from that to make my new clones sounds like the easy way out.

How long does it take at 18/6 before they're re-vegged? Just a rough idea is fine, i.e. a day/a week/a month.. it'll just let me plan the next cycle. I rent my place and have a house inspection coming up, I'll have to try and time it so I only have baby clones which I can hide easily and I can pack everything else away lol

Yes reveg is your best option at this time. Clones would have to root and regrow all at the same time. Not enough energy in most clones to do all that without roots as a support system.

Leave the plant lots of stuff to work with. After harvest. Cover the plant with a opaque trash bag. This will help keep the plant from drying out. You will need to uncover and shake all the moister out of the bag daily as to much humidity is still bad. I usually just turn it inside out each time. Put the plant under 24 hrs of light. It does not need to be intense light but it needs to be 24/7. You can also hit them with a light dose of veg nuits. You need to watch over watering at this time also. Nothing is going on growth wise so you need to make sure your soil does not become to damp and sour. Regrowth is going to take a long time. Around a month in lots of case's.

After you see new growth start you are out of the woods. Not all plants are going to re-veg. The Supper Cropping they talk about is all hype. All re-vegged plants will have all kinds of crazy growth. Way to many to grow out. You should trim 90% of them off. Even if you are doing SCROG you are going to have way to many branches. If you flower all of them you are going to end up with a million tinny buds. It is best to just get the plant back alive trim it down and start over again. Shaping a plant at this time is easy as you will have a 100 of branches to choose from

Back
Top Bottom